Mossberg 835 Ulti-mag

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Mossberg 835 Ulti-mag

Postby widuckhunter1 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:31 am

Just curious if anyone shoots one? and if so if anyone could help me on what choke to use and load to use that patterns the best out of it? I would try it all and will if i have to. Just gets sort of expensive :help:
Thanks in advance!
Born to hunt, forced to work.
widuckhunter1
hunter

Re: Mossberg 835 Ulti-mag

Postby EDP1 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:57 am

My dad shot one for years with the mod. choke and cheap Winchester 3in #2 and killed ducks like everyone else in our group. But every gun is a little different. I myself am thinking of getting one. How do you like yours and which model did you get?
EDP1
hunter

Postby Bernie P. » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:54 am

I like mine a lot.The Mberg chokes patter real well as do Kicks and Trulock.I prefer extended tubes so I'm selling my Accumags if you're interested look here-
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=325281
Bernie P.
hunter

Postby Jon Bergren » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:02 pm

The 835/935 chokes are extended inside the barre;, you don't need to buy extended chokes. Ned S
Jon Bergren
hunter

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:51 pm

I just retired this gun after 13 years of solid hunting and abuse. It's a great gun and an even better company. I returned mine after 10 years of owning it and had it repaired by Mossberg for free. I shot 3 inch Xperts #2's with the TRUGLO poly choke on full all the time and killed a lot of birds. People love the Carlsons chokes as well.
A BAD DAY AT THE MARSH BEATS A GOOD DAY AT WORK.
killwoodies101 wrote:your a dudshe bag! You dont own the river your dont own any property around it.. Its just as mush mine and any other tom **** and harry's as it is yours !! get a life share what is yours or stop hunting
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby Duck_Stank » Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:06 pm

It will always fire, just clean your trigger assembly once a year (only time mine wouldn't fire was due to excess buildup in the assembly from many many hunts). I used a cheaper cabelas extended modified choke, noticed any shot using 1 1/4 oz patterned the best as well with it.
Master of Reality
Duck_Stank
hunter

Postby Duck_Stank » Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:07 pm

Jon Bergren wrote:The 835/935 chokes are extended inside the barre;, you don't need to buy extended chokes. Ned S

Good point, they thread down so low. I got mean patterns outta using an extended though.
Master of Reality
Duck_Stank
hunter

Postby Jmorris » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:41 pm

I have always leaned towards Briley. They have been making custom tubes and sub-guage inserts for my Krieghoffs for over 25 years. The 835 is overbored and tends to pattern very well with factory tubes and should throw excellent patterns with the factory mod tube. I tend to pick up my 835 24" turkey gun over my extrema or sx3. I have patterned Briley, Carlson, kicks high flyer, comp-n-choke, patternmaster, undertaker waterfowl, northwind , plus factory tubes in this 835. The hands down winner is the kicks high flyer .020 constriction and that is what stays in this gun. It is devastating no matter what I feed it. 2nd best was the factory modified tube with the comp-n-choke .025 a very close third. Somebody is going to ask why I pick up the 835 over my $1500 shotguns. Easy, it's a freaking tool, always goes bang, and shoots whatever I feed it. I leave it in the decoy trailer, bed of the truck, has had numerous swims, pryed myself myself out of mud, etc. Its just a hammer.

Pretty bad when I have more money invested in choke tubes than I do the gun and the factory mod tube was very tough to improve upon. There are 8 aftermarket tubes and 3 factory tubes on my workbench right now plus a few more downstairs in the gun room that never use....

So I guess what I'm telling you is, definately take a hard look at the factory tubes first. You just may be fat, dumb and happy after trying a few loads through it.
Jmorris
hunter

Postby widuckhunter1 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:21 pm

Thanks everyone for the replies helps a lot and also saves me a lot of money with experimenting myself. Wasnt expecting this many replies! Im the only one in my area with the gun so local advice was not an option. Once again thank you all!
widuckhunter1
hunter

Postby widuckhunter1 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:26 pm

EDP1 wrote:My dad shot one for years with the mod. choke and cheap Winchester 3in #2 and killed ducks like everyone else in our group. But every gun is a little different. I myself am thinking of getting one. How do you like yours and which model did you get?

I love it. Never fails on me only thing I have trouble with every once and a while is when pumping 3 1/2s through it goose hunting because i get lazy and they dont eject all the way but thats no ones problem but mine. Ive got the synthetic stock 28'' ported barrel. Not sure if thats what you meant by model. Sort of new to this.
widuckhunter1
hunter

Postby Ukcatshunter » Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:24 am

I know my post doesn't offer much insight...

I do have a 835 with a 26" barrel. It's my turkey gun. With a kicks gobbling thunder and some Winchester 3' 5's that gun will hum.
My dad gave it to me. I will never get rid of it.

It's not the prettiest. It may make a rattle here and there. But point blank it's a workhorse. Just like a farm truck. No matter the situation it's gonna get the job done.
Ukcatshunter
hunter

Postby BurninPowder » Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:41 am

I've had experience with several 835s, the older of which I had a better experience with. The older were very reliable and shot fine. My most recent experience was with the grand slam turkey model 22" barrel. Did some pattern tests before hittin the field of course but was far from impressed. After calling in the first longbeard and having a light hit/miss I sold the gun. Back to the old 870 for good. I knew up front I had some POI issues with the 835, which I attempted to compensate for but after working a bird for an hour and having a miss it ruined my confidence in the gun. As I said before all 835s I've had experience with were very reliable. The POI issue is the only thing I've had problems with.
BurninPowder
hunter

Postby Bernie P. » Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:32 am

I decided to keep my Accumag chokes but I just listed 2 Kicks High Flyer chokes here in the classifieds.They're well worth a look!
Bernie P.
hunter

Postby tommyboy2501 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:54 pm

I have the 835 waterfowl and it has performed flawlessly I use the accumag factory choke mainly. ive thrown it in the river on more than one occasion and it hasn't missed a lick
tommyboy2501
hunter

Postby goosepit2007 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:43 pm

i use the factory flush tube marked full for 2 and bb steel shot(.727 constriction) and i also have flush XF for t and f tube flush that patterns great with 23/4 t's -31/2 inch t's. that same choke patterns bbb's great. when i shoot t's that is the only time that the full choke comes out shooting reloads of 7/8 oz going 1550 fps -the 3 inch 11/4 oz loads of steel with shot sizes of 5's-bb's.

that full choke patterns great no need for aftermarket chokes.

goose
goosepit2007
hunter

Postby Leaky-NY » Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:33 pm

I have an older model been one solid shooter with the factor tubes in it. I did a couple years ago buy the Mossberg extended waterfowl tubes because I got tired of dropping the wrenches or quarters when I wanted to change tubes.

Leaky
If it aint ducks, Dogs or boats I cant talk now!
Leaky-NY
hunter

Postby Bernie P. » Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:22 am

goosepit2007 wrote:i use the factory flush tube marked full for 2 and bb steel shot(.727 constriction) and i also have flush XF for t and f tube flush that patterns great with 23/4 t's -31/2 inch t's. that same choke patterns bbb's great. when i shoot t's that is the only time that the full choke comes out shooting reloads of 7/8 oz going 1550 fps -the 3 inch 11/4 oz loads of steel with shot sizes of 5's-bb's.

that full choke patterns great no need for aftermarket chokes.

goose

My Accumag Full is marked .730.Another thing that seems strange is that the tighter Xfull .715 is recommended for the larger shot than the full.Any ideas on why that is?
Bernie P.
hunter

Postby 10gaOkie » Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:33 pm

I have owned a half dozen 835s over the years, including a model 91 Mavrick which is the same gun. They always shoot and never failed me. Other than fit and finish, they leave nothing to be desired. Best patterns shooting steel with the factory chokes. Save your money and stick with them. An extended aftermarket will not make that much diff. The only thing I do not like on these is the latest models come with a ported barrel which I would try to avoid if possible. Barrels for these can be found really easy and cheap. So replacing your ported barrel with a non ported one would be easy to do. Pre fit Limbsavers are available for these, both wood and synthetic stocks. Money well spent for a effective add on.

Chris
10gaOkie
hunter

Postby Columbia Basin Local » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:26 am

Hey 10, what was your issue with the ported barrels?
"We're calling, because the birds won't respond to texts."- Jim Ronquest, RNT-V
Columbia Basin, home of the sagebrush duck blind!

Cody
Columbia Basin Local
hunter

Postby gomer snerd » Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:25 pm

I need a ramrod if I shoot mine, Hate those mid barrel ports. Mine is an old one before they had the bugs worked out.
gomer snerd
hunter

Postby CaptainWv » Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:40 pm

If you shoot a lot of 3.5" I suggest a recoil pad. Turkey hunted ( I realize this is for waterfowl) with an 835 for 8 years and killed every bird I ever shot at it with (alteast one a year) Problem was it took my head and the turkeys off at the same time.
CaptainWv
hunter

Postby gooseflopper » Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:17 pm

10gaOkie wrote:I have owned a half dozen 835s over the years, including a model 91 Mavrick which is the same gun. They always shoot and never failed me. Other than fit and finish, they leave nothing to be desired. Best patterns shooting steel with the factory chokes. Save your money and stick with them. An extended aftermarket will not make that much diff. The only thing I do not like on these is the latest models come with a ported barrel which I would try to avoid if possible. Barrels for these can be found really easy and cheap. So replacing your ported barrel with a non ported one would be easy to do. Pre fit Limbsavers are available for these, both wood and synthetic stocks. Money well spent for a effective add on.

Chris

Which limbsaver fits the wood stock?
gooseflopper
hunter

Postby Bernie P. » Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:49 am

I put a Kick-Eze on mine.I don't recall the number but it was a vast improvement over the stock pad.Even so if you shoot 3.5" ammo you're going to get slammed.
Bernie P.
hunter

Postby widuckhunter1 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:00 am

Thanks again for all the replys. I think im gonna try out the factory ones as suggested this spring once we get some snow off the ground here. Mine does have the ported barrel. Will it make a difference on what i should use or no?
widuckhunter1
hunter

Postby Duck_Stank » Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:21 am

My 835 has the ports near the end of the mussle, I've noticed anything 1 1/4 oz patterns the best. Cheap federal and Kent shells along with drylocks did real well at forty yards.
Master of Reality
Duck_Stank
hunter

Next

Return to Shotgun Forum