Benelli Camo durability?

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Benelli Camo durability?

Postby Honk-n-quack » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:26 pm

Hi all, I was browsing around at cabelas looking at different shotguns, and for kicks and giggles I took a look at the Benelli Super Black Eagle 2. It points like a dream. I plan on getting the American version to cut the cost down to about the price of the Maxus I was looking at. My question is how durable is their camo dipping? I have seen many benellis with bright white primer showing from what appeared to be camo rubbing off. If I got the black one I would plan on getting it cerakoted to increase the longevity of it. So basically the question in a nutshell, is the benelli camo durable, and if not would it be best to just to get the black and cerakote it?
Honk-n-quack
hunter

Re: Benelli Camo durability?

Postby Honk-n-quack » Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:42 pm

gonna bump myself over the spam
Honk-n-quack
hunter

Postby emartinez11 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:01 pm

i would assume like every other camo. If you take good care of your gun, the camo will be good for quite a long time. Even if it gets to the point of no return. Doesnt cost very much to get it dipped. Which would last again for years.
emartinez11
hunter

Postby DuckManClyde » Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:40 pm

you can cerakote the polymer stock? wouldnt the baking process mess with it?

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
If offended, and or irritated with the above post, please refer to my caring face :hi:
DuckManClyde
hunter

Postby Luvbowhuntn » Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:20 pm

Can't cerakote plastic. Dip the plastics in your favorite camo and cerakote the metals. I did a M2 like that and it looked awesome. Great choice in the American SBEII. Slap a limbsaver pad on it and it'll recoil less than the comfortech version. Plus ya save $400 or so. Great guns

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
Real cowboys say the party never ends and the road goes on and on
Luvbowhuntn
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:09 pm

The Benelli Dip process is one of the Best I have ever seen and a close second is Camo Solutions for durability. I clean my personal Benellis with Brake cleaner and it never effects the camo, but it will strip the camo right off a mossy or Remington in seconds. I believe that they clear coat it with I PPG or some other very tough matte clear coat that protects the camo finish. I have worn the grip of a couple of my guns thru the camo down to the metal but never had it peal or chip and it is pretty solvent resistant.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby clampdaddy » Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:29 pm

I love my Benelli but the camo is nowhere near as wear resistant as the camo on my Browning was. On Sunday my gun will have completed one full season of duck hunting. All of the flat spots still look like new but many of the edges have worn through to the ivory colored primer underneath.
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby Nelliboy2 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:47 pm

My sbe2 is 8 years old I believe maybe 9. It's max4, the forearm is worn off just tan now, same with the edges. I never really worriers about it as I decided when it got bad enough is just have it redipped.

If money talks; then I got a lot to say i'm on the grind trying to make a hundred thousand dollars a day! We play with big cash and we blowin money fast. I need a G for every light bulb on the Vegas strip!!!
Nelliboy2
hunter

Postby Honk-n-quack » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:09 pm

So, it sounds like a hit or miss on camo... would it be possible to take it and have it professionally clear coated?
Honk-n-quack
hunter

Postby Nelliboy2 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:41 pm

Idk about clear coat. You could buy a black one and have it dipped in any camo you want.

If money talks; then I got a lot to say i'm on the grind trying to make a hundred thousand dollars a day! We play with big cash and we blowin money fast. I need a G for every light bulb on the Vegas strip!!!
Nelliboy2
hunter

Postby dduckman » Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:36 am

Mine has some wear on the edges and some chips here and there, overall it is very durable and takes quite the abuse in boats and lay down blinds in the field! Even throw it in the trailer or truck bed with no case when moving decoys on field sets!
dduckman
hunter

Postby winchester1852 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:36 am

My sbe 2 is in max4 one season old as of yesterday and the camo still looks new, I don't baby it.
if you can read this your almost as smart as a dolphin.
winchester1852
hunter

Postby TROB » Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:39 am

Honk-n-quack wrote:So, it sounds like a hit or miss on camo... would it be possible to take it and have it professionally clear coated?

I'm not sure what you were reading, but it's not hit or miss, their camo is excellent compared to other companies.

Everything wears eventually, but my SBE 2 has 5 seasons on it and it still looks awesome. My gun is MODB, which I think helped keep the color sharp since it is a darker camo.
Idaho...
TROB
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:33 am

TROB wrote: I'm not sure what you were reading, but it's not hit or miss, their camo is excellent compared to other companies......

I don't think so. The camo on the Maxus I had was way better than the camo on my SBE2. It was far more wear resistant and it stayed a very non reflective matte finish. The color is holding up on my Benelli but it is already starting to get shiney from general handling and wiping it down.
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby Honk-n-quack » Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:41 am

clampdaddy I noticed the same thing. one of my relatives has a maxus and it looks brand new after 3 years of abuse...not as much for my buddies nova...half the primer was showing and it seemed very "glossy"...I thing ill just go with black and have the metal cerakoted...now if I could just find them..
Honk-n-quack
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:45 pm

Honk-n-quack wrote:clampdaddy I noticed the same thing. one of my relatives has a maxus and it looks brand new after 3 years of abuse...not as much for my buddies nova...half the primer was showing and it seemed very "glossy"...I thing ill just go with black and have the metal cerakoted...now if I could just find them..

Thats what I plan on doing to mine once I wear off the original camo. One member here did a benelli in a darkened burnt bronze with camo stocks. Looked pretty sweet.
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby Luvbowhuntn » Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:12 pm

Like this Clamp?
It was mine that I posted a while back

Luvbowhuntn
hunter

Postby Nelliboy2 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:12 pm

I just wish they would dip them in bottomland and natural gear. I don't know why that's so hard to find. My next set I think I'm going to get a black one and have it dipped in bottomland. I think they look sharp.

Nelliboy2
hunter

Postby Luvbowhuntn » Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:00 pm

That's what that one is done in. Bottomland stocks and darkened burnt bronze cerakote on the metal

Luvbowhuntn
hunter

Postby Nelliboy2 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:18 pm

Luvbowhuntn wrote:That's what that one is done in. Bottomland stocks and darkened burnt bronze cerakote on the metal

I know that bottom land looks sick IMO. I just don't understand why they don't come from the factory with the option.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
Nelliboy2
hunter

Return to Shotgun Forum