Versamax vs Benelli

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Versamax vs Benelli

Postby waterfowlhunter » Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:49 pm

The Versamax gas system was a copy of the Benelli M4 so I wanted to see if the bolt was a copy too. I no longer have the M4 to compare but from memory they are identical. here is the SBE and Versamax

P1020559.JPG

P1020560.JPG

P1020561.JPG

P1020562-1.jpg

P1020563.JPG
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Re: Versamax vs Benelli

Postby rerhardt » Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:57 pm

Just wondering? does the Remington bolt also have the heavy spring inside? Total copy as far as I see, actually the Benelli bolt looks to be better machined in my opinion. So here is a question if the spring is in the Remington bolt, what function does it have as the Remington is supposed to be gas? Maybe just gas assisted?
rerhardt
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:58 pm

Here is the Versamax bolt in the SBE II. It cycles, the hammer hits the firing pin and it operates and locks back just like it was made for it. of course the bolt head would not lock up in the benelli Barrel but I think I could put the Benelli bolt head in the Versamax carrier. the inside of the bolt carriers are very similar and there is probably room for the inertia spring. I just found this all very interesting. the big difference is the quality of work. the Remington part looks like a rough casting compared to the Benelli that has been properly finished.

P1020564-1.jpg

P1020565.JPG

Yes the Benelli Bolt Carrier will fit in the Versamax receiver too but is a bit tight.

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby waterfowlhunter » Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:01 pm

rerhardt wrote:Just wondering? does the Remington bolt also have the heavy spring inside? Total copy as far as I see, actually the Benelli bolt looks to be better machined in my opinion. So here is a question if the spring is in the Remington bolt, what function does it have as the Remington is supposed to be gas? Maybe just gas assisted?

There is no spring but that is more in line with the Gas operation of the Benelli M4. and you are correct about the quality of the parts, The Remington parts fail in comparison It appears That the Remington part is cast and the Benelli part is machined.

waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby clampdaddy » Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:20 pm

The one thing I don't like the looks of in the design of the versamax is that they made the ejection port a little too long on the rear end. It looks like that if the firing pin retainer were to wok its way loose it could either fall out of the gun or be snapped off when the bolt cycles. On the benelli, the pin is always captured within the receiver so it physically can not come out without disassembling the gun. I'm sure it's probably a non issue. Just something that caught my eye.
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:26 pm

The Firing pin retainer is the same as the Benelli and is held in with the same rubber "O" ring. It does not come out without some effort but I can see where that could be an issue if the "O" ring broke and left the pin loose so that it could fall out. BUT the firing pin keeps pressure on this pin also when at rest so it acts as a bit of retention also.

waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby rerhardt » Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:28 pm

waterfowlhunter wrote:
rerhardt wrote:Just wondering? does the Remington bolt also have the heavy spring inside? Total copy as far as I see, actually the Benelli bolt looks to be better machined in my opinion. So here is a question if the spring is in the Remington bolt, what function does it have as the Remington is supposed to be gas? Maybe just gas assisted?

There is no spring but that is more in line with the Gas operation of the Benelli M4. and you are correct about the quality of the parts, The Remington parts fail in comparison It appears That the Remington part is cast and the Benelli part is machined.

I see from your photos you have a performance shop edition sbe, how has it been for you?
rerhardt
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:45 pm

rerhardt wrote:I see from your photos you have a performance shop edition sbe, how has it been for you?

PM sent so the topic does not stray to far :beer:

waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby BurninPowder » Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:42 pm

Interesting thread. I am familiar with the similarities between the M4 and VM but have not had the opportunity to do a direct hands on comparison. The VM has been largely dismissed by the "B" gun crowd thus far. I find it refreshing that someone is actually doing a logical comparison, pointing out the similarities and differences between the two. I will continue to follow this thread to see how it turns out. But the true test in my opinion will be time. The design is no doubt proven. The execution is the only issue that remains in question. Largely for Remington...
BurninPowder
hunter

Return to Shotgun Forum