Charles daly semi auto blues....

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Charles daly semi auto blues....

Postby Gooch » Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:12 pm

Hey all,
I thought I would share my charles daly experience with you. I bought a brand new semi auto 12 gauge with a 30" barrel for duck hunting in 2006. Took it out and at the first 3 shells (3" high speed loads) i shot the extractor right out of the gun. I called charles daly and they offered to repair it at no cost. when I got the shipping label to send in my gun i called them to ask a question and they were out of business.

I have tried to get gunsmiths to find or even make parts but have had no luck. It has been sittin in my closet brand new since then. After callin a shop the other day to see if parts are easier to find these days, I was told they were back open for business. I called them and spoke to the gunsmith who told me it was a common problem since the guns back then were imported from all over....just like theyre quality control. He said he had a buncha people with the same problem. he said Ithaca is handling things now and they are using quality metal not that pot metal crap they used back when i bought mine. He said they always break locking blocks, exctractors, and charging handles.

He put together an order for an extractor, plunger, spring, and retainer pin for $17.50. the serial number on my gun dictates the locking block was made with good steel the first go' round. Ill have it together as soon as it arives and ill be at the trap and skeet range soon after. we shall see.........
Gooch
Newb

Re: Charles daly semi auto blues....

Postby Dep6 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:37 am

Hope it works out to the good for ya!!
Saving the Poodles of America, one Alligator at a time!!
Dep6
Site Admin

Postby War Wagon » Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:03 am

Repair it and send it down the road. :yes:
War Wagon
hunter

Postby Gooch » Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:39 pm

War Wagon wrote:Repair it and send it down the road. :yes:

Now see I was gonna do that but I haven't got the coin $$$ to muster up a 935 or other better brand auto loader so I may see how this one holds up. The dang thing is practically new. I would love to get my hands on a 935 though.

What does a 12g Charles Daly with a 30" barrel go for anyway? I have an 835 Ulti mag that has never failed me until then.

Anyhow, the parts came in and after some inspection to make sure everything was free of burrs or anything else that would make them hang up, I dropped them right in. They seem to operate and eject shells just fine when I pull the charge handle back and forth. still haven't shot it though. I'm no blacksmith but the parts do have a different look to them. The metal seems to be different.....better? I guess we shall see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gooch
Newb

Return to Shotgun Forum