16 gauge

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

16 gauge

Postby Swampfoxforeman » Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:18 pm

I have a opportunity to buy a Stevens 16 ga sxs model 235 for 300. What do yall think? Also mod choke on one side full on other. Good duck n dove n geese gun?
Swampfoxforeman
hunter
 
Posts: 62
Joined: Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:13 pm
Location: Snow Camp, NC, Alamance county


Re: 16 gauge

Postby thomashamm2 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:28 pm

Swampfoxforeman wrote:I have a opportunity to buy a Stevens 16 ga sxs model 235 for 300. What do yall think? Also mod choke on one side full on other. Good duck n dove n geese gun?

I think it would be great for duck n dove, maybe a little small for geese, but if you get them close enough itll do great. Also the price seems right. but remember that you should not shoot big pellets through full chokes, so thats the only problem i see. But you could probably have a gunsmith make the full a modified.
thomashamm2
hunter
 
Posts: 243
Joined: Thu May 02, 2013 7:03 am

Re: 16 gauge

Postby fishduck » Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:39 pm

Check out prices, I think that gun is only worth about $100.
fishduck
hunter
 
Posts: 156
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:34 am
Location: Pasadena, Maryland

Re: 16 gauge

Postby Swampfoxforeman » Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:55 pm

I would love find one for a 100. I seen one for $235 but it was bid with ten days left. Also how can I verify what choke it is? You know trust but verify.
Swampfoxforeman
hunter
 
Posts: 62
Joined: Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:13 pm
Location: Snow Camp, NC, Alamance county

Re: 16 gauge

Postby cluckmeister » Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:02 pm

16 gauge shotguns are wonderful shotguns for dove, however finding shells is a bit touchy as well as is the price per box if you do find them
If you're there for the limit, you're there for the wrong reason
cluckmeister
State Moderator
 
Posts: 2775
Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:41 pm
Location: Central Kansas

Re: 16 gauge

Postby Swampfoxforeman » Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:20 pm

If I get I would end up reloading 16s
Swampfoxforeman
hunter
 
Posts: 62
Joined: Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:13 pm
Location: Snow Camp, NC, Alamance county

Re: 16 gauge

Postby Fowl Addict » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:20 am

Ihave an old Stevens sxs that was one of my grandfathers old guns, never hunted ducks with it but it may for an awesome rabbit gun. I checked the value on it several years back and $300 seems a lil steep.
Fowl Addict
hunter
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:49 pm

Re: 16 gauge

Postby CaptainWv » Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:46 pm

I have a 870 16 gauge.. Wanted to take it Waterfowling.. but id need to take out a second mortgage on my house to buy non toxic shot for it..
CaptainWv
hunter
 
Posts: 93
Joined: Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:43 am

Re: 16 gauge

Postby mudpack » Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:22 pm

cluckmeister wrote:16 gauge shotguns are wonderful shotguns for dove, however finding shells is a bit touchy as well as is the price per box if you do find them

Cluck is on the right track. Finding lead loads for dove won't be easy, and finding non-toxic loads for waterfowl will be very problematic. Yes, several manufacturers make 16ga steel loads, but finding a retailer that stocks them will be frustrating.

For instance: Remington currently catalogs 55 different steel 12 gauge loads, 9 different 10 gauge loads, 8 different 20 gauge loads....and 2 loads for the 16 gauge. The other manufacturers are about the same.....
The sixteen was a dying gauge before the requirement for non-toxic shot. Since that time, the major manufacturers have all but pulled the plug on it; no new guns brought out in 16 gauge for decades, few if any old guns produced in 16 gauge, and damn little ammo in that gauge.

So, if you want an old 16 side-by, then go for it; they are a cool/nostalgic gun. Just don't count on it being a viable waterfowl gun.
mudpack
hunter
 
Posts: 6198
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:40 am
Location: Central Kansas

Re: 16 gauge

Postby Yuchi1 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:22 pm

The 16 gauge started to slip when it was excluded from the registered skeet and many trap competitions as an eligible gauge.

For hunting purposes, the advent of the 20 gauge 3" magnum also spelled trouble even though the 3" 20 gauge actually turned out to not be the panacea it was marketed to be. Imagine, gun/shotshell manufacturers engaging in "creative" advertising. :sarcmark:

I have several of them and use this gauge for upland game and waterfowl as well.

With that being said, commercial ammo can be problematic however, I've included one link: http://www.rogerssportinggoods.com/fioc ... p-374.html that may be helpful.

Also, I picked up a MEC 600 with the 16 gauge dies already onboard from the family of a late gunclub member and purchased components from BPI to get started including, ITX shot (10 gm/cc) which is acceptable for using in "older" (pre-steel) shotguns as a non-toxic alternative for waterfowl, etc..

My first shotgun was a Belgian made, "Dixie Double" so I have an affinity for the gauge that goes beyond it's well established pedigree as the ultimate "bird gun".
Sent from my Sumerian tablets

Does the number of bands claimed simply mean you have an Ebay account?

FSH Pro Staffer

High Potentate, NSSB (no spinning shotcup brotherhood)
Yuchi1
hunter
 
Posts: 1665
Joined: Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:15 pm
Location: Creek Nation of Oklahoma

Re: 16 gauge

Postby 3200 man » Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:49 am

So Yuchi 1 , why don't you take this 870 Wingmaster 28" mod plain barrel off my hands ? :lol3:

It's like new and of the 62/63 vintage !

My Model 12 with the marvel choke is all I need in a 16 ga !
3200 man
hunter
 
Posts: 3078
Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:30 am

Re: 16 gauge

Postby A5Mag12 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:40 am

You can get all the quality steel 16 gauge shells you want here.

http://www.sportingammo.com/

And there are a number of soft no-tox 16 gauge loads that are safe for the old guns that are no harder to get than soft no-tox loads for old 12 gauges.

For those that forget you have to have shells until the friday before the season opens the 16 might not be for you. For the rest of us it's no big deal.
A5Mag12
hunter
 
Posts: 692
Joined: Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:26 pm
Location: La-Tx

Re: 16 gauge

Postby mudpack » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:02 am

Going to the site that Yuchi gave demonstrates my point about availability of 16 gauge non-toxic loads....in any loading; Roger's lists no 16 gauge waterfowl loads at the present time.

Sporting Ammo's server is down, so I couldn't check that....but my point was this: your choice of waterfowl loads for a 16 is very, very limited. And sources for the ammo may be even more limited...and relatively expensive when it is available. I think most of you will agree.

A5Mag12 wrote:And there are a number of soft no-tox 16 gauge loads that are safe for the old guns that are no harder to get than soft no-tox loads for old 12 gauges..

Which is another way of saying "soft no-tox loads are damn hard to find, in both 16 and 12 gauge"......? :biggrin:
mudpack
hunter
 
Posts: 6198
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:40 am
Location: Central Kansas

Re: 16 gauge

Postby A5Mag12 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:10 am

mudpack wrote:Going to the site that Yuchi gave demonstrates my point about availability of 16 gauge non-toxic loads....in any loading; Roger's lists no 16 gauge waterfowl loads at the present time.

Sporting Ammo's server is down, so I couldn't check that....but my point was this: your choice of waterfowl loads for a 16 is very, very limited. And sources for the ammo may be even more limited...and relatively expensive when it is available. I think most of you will agree.

A5Mag12 wrote:And there are a number of soft no-tox 16 gauge loads that are safe for the old guns that are no harder to get than soft no-tox loads for old 12 gauges..

Which is another way of saying "soft no-tox loads are damn hard to find, in both 16 and 12 gauge"......? :biggrin:
In not much longer that it took you to think up and post this you could have had more than you could ever hope to pay for at your door step in a week. Click, click, click and open the door next week. Or heaven forbid you might actually have to dial a phone number. Yeah I can see where that might be a problem.
A5Mag12
hunter
 
Posts: 692
Joined: Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:26 pm
Location: La-Tx

Re: 16 gauge

Postby Yuchi1 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:13 am

mudpack wrote:Going to the site that Yuchi gave demonstrates my point about availability of 16 gauge non-toxic loads....in any loading; Roger's lists no 16 gauge waterfowl loads at the present time.

Sporting Ammo's server is down, so I couldn't check that....but my point was this: your choice of waterfowl loads for a 16 is very, very limited. And sources for the ammo may be even more limited...and relatively expensive when it is available. I think most of you will agree.

A5Mag12 wrote:And there are a number of soft no-tox 16 gauge loads that are safe for the old guns that are no harder to get than soft no-tox loads for old 12 gauges..

Which is another way of saying "soft no-tox loads are damn hard to find, in both 16 and 12 gauge"......? :biggrin:


When I posted that particular link, only #4's were listed as "out of stock" and BPI (website) was also listing the Kent Matrix 1 1/16 oz. of #5's for 16 gauge.
Sent from my Sumerian tablets

Does the number of bands claimed simply mean you have an Ebay account?

FSH Pro Staffer

High Potentate, NSSB (no spinning shotcup brotherhood)
Yuchi1
hunter
 
Posts: 1665
Joined: Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:15 pm
Location: Creek Nation of Oklahoma

Re: 16 gauge

Postby A5Mag12 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:30 am

Lot's of ammo out of stock nowadays. Hell I can get 16 gauge anything easier than I can get a few boxes of 22 bullets.
A5Mag12
hunter
 
Posts: 692
Joined: Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:26 pm
Location: La-Tx

Re: 16 gauge

Postby dog walker » Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:38 pm

A5Mag12 wrote:Lot's of ammo out of stock nowadays. Hell I can get 16 gauge anything easier than I can get a few boxes of 22 bullets.


X2
User avatar
dog walker
hunter
 
Posts: 777
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:21 pm
Location: Bottom right hand corner of La.

Re: 16 gauge

Postby mudpack » Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:13 pm

A5Mag12 wrote:In not much longer that it took you to think up and post this you could have had more than you could ever hope to pay for at your door step in a week. Click, click, click and open the door next week. Or heaven forbid you might actually have to dial a phone number. Yeah I can see where that might be a problem.


I noticed you didn't say who has 16 gauge ammo in stock. If it's so easy, why can't you tell us who has it??
Talk is cheap, give us some useful information.

So far my statement stands unchallenged: 16 gauge waterfowl loads are hard to come by. :thumbsup:
mudpack
hunter
 
Posts: 6198
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:40 am
Location: Central Kansas

Re: 16 gauge

Postby Yuchi1 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:29 pm

Sent from my Sumerian tablets

Does the number of bands claimed simply mean you have an Ebay account?

FSH Pro Staffer

High Potentate, NSSB (no spinning shotcup brotherhood)
Yuchi1
hunter
 
Posts: 1665
Joined: Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:15 pm
Location: Creek Nation of Oklahoma

Re: 16 gauge

Postby mudpack » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:39 pm

Yuchi, did you look at the 16 gauge ammo on those sites?

I took the time to look at the first four links. The only 16 gauge waterfowl loads I could buy on those links are the Hevi's at $3.50 - $4.00 per shell. There were a few steel 16 ga loads listed, but they are on backorder and not available.
mudpack
hunter
 
Posts: 6198
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:40 am
Location: Central Kansas

Re: 16 gauge

Postby Yuchi1 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:13 pm

mudpack wrote:Yuchi, did you look at the 16 gauge ammo on those sites?

I took the time to look at the first four links. The only 16 gauge waterfowl loads I could buy on those links are the Hevi's at $3.50 - $4.00 per shell. There were a few steel 16 ga loads listed, but they are on backorder and not available.


Able Ammo indicated they had 16 gauge (Remington) steel loads.
Sent from my Sumerian tablets

Does the number of bands claimed simply mean you have an Ebay account?

FSH Pro Staffer

High Potentate, NSSB (no spinning shotcup brotherhood)
Yuchi1
hunter
 
Posts: 1665
Joined: Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:15 pm
Location: Creek Nation of Oklahoma

Re: 16 gauge

Postby 1448jonboat » Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:43 am

I think the original poster is on the right track when he said he'd reload if he got the gun. I have a 16 gauge and load all my shells. The selection and availability is relatively weak for 16 gauge and loading your own shells opens up your choices. If you plan on using a 16 gauge for duck hunting, loading your own shells really is the way to go.
1448jonboat
hunter
 
Posts: 252
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:53 pm
Location: California

Re: 16 gauge

Postby BT Justice » Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:19 am

1448jonboat wrote:I think the original poster is on the right track when he said he'd reload if he got the gun. I have a 16 gauge and load all my shells. The selection and availability is relatively weak for 16 gauge and loading your own shells opens up your choices. If you plan on using a 16 gauge for duck hunting, loading your own shells really is the way to go.

Yep, you have to roll your own with a 16.
I have seven 16 ga shotguns and load all my ammo for them. Modern 16 ga guns that can handle steel shot are deadly for decoying birds. #6 Hevishot or HD is deadly in guns that can handle it also.
For factory ammo in older guns the Kent TM upland loads work very well in #5 shot for ducks, Bismuth is also good if it can be found in 16 ga loads.
Once you can relieve yourself of the modern brainwashing we have all been subjected to about the 12 ga and 20 ga, you'll find the 16 ga a very reliable gun for most of your shooting. It's not a goose gun by any means, for that we have 10 gauge guns.. :yes:
User avatar
BT Justice
hunter
 
Posts: 1581
Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:43 pm

Re: 16 gauge

Postby mudpack » Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:49 pm

BT Justice wrote: Modern 16 ga guns that can handle steel shot are deadly for decoying birds.

Yes, they are. So are modern 12 gauge guns, 20 gauge guns, 10 gauge guns, etc. I wouldn't consider 16 gauge guns above about #4 in a field of the four most deadly waterfowl gauges. :biggrin:
mudpack
hunter
 
Posts: 6198
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:40 am
Location: Central Kansas

Re: 16 gauge

Postby Yuchi1 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:52 pm

mudpack wrote:
BT Justice wrote: Modern 16 ga guns that can handle steel shot are deadly for decoying birds.

Yes, they are. So are modern 12 gauge guns, 20 gauge guns, 10 gauge guns, etc. I wouldn't consider 16 gauge guns above about #4 in a field of the four most deadly waterfowl gauges. :biggrin:


We'll see how they work on those pidgeons! :wink:
Sent from my Sumerian tablets

Does the number of bands claimed simply mean you have an Ebay account?

FSH Pro Staffer

High Potentate, NSSB (no spinning shotcup brotherhood)
Yuchi1
hunter
 
Posts: 1665
Joined: Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:15 pm
Location: Creek Nation of Oklahoma

Next

Return to Shotgun Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 17 guests

cron