16 gauge

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Re: 16 gauge

Postby clampdaddy » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:24 pm

Funny thing happened when the last ammo buying craze happened. I went into Walmart hoping to find a box or two of 12 or 20 gauge shells and every shelf was completely wiped out.........except the one that was :lol3: stacked deep in 16's.
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby BT Justice » Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:28 am

mudpack wrote:
BT Justice wrote: Modern 16 ga guns that can handle steel shot are deadly for decoying birds.

Yes, they are. So are modern 12 gauge guns, 20 gauge guns, 10 gauge guns, etc. I wouldn't consider 16 gauge guns above about #4 in a field of the four most deadly waterfowl gauges. :biggrin:

Very true, the point being however if the 16 had the advantages given the 20 ga or even the 12 ga such as 3" load capability, modern components and the amount of guns available to the shooter, I seriously think in this catch all world we live in today it would have outpaced the 20 ga and given shooters quite the option from the 12 ga.
The reason the 16 is where it is today wasn't from the lack of people who used them, anyone can see that by the amount of older 16 ga guns out there, it was the factories making life easier for themselves. The BS stories about the 12 ga being more popular because GI's used them in WWII really makes one think, in reality I believe just as many if not more shotguns were used in WWI as trench guns yet after WWI the 16 ga was just as popular with the general public as it was before the war.
BT Justice
hunter

Postby mudpack » Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:13 am

Yuchi1 wrote:We'll see how they work on those pidgeons! :wink:

WARNING!!: the local Wal-Mart Superstore does not carry 16ga ammo. Bring plenty with you. :lol3:
mudpack
hunter

Postby wraithen » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:18 pm

How funny would it be if all the big gun makers came out with 16 guages next year touting them as better than 20 and practically perfect for all things fowl given their new manufacturing processes? Ammo availability follows guns. Id personally like to see more ammo options for all. Until then Ill continue rollibg my own... when I can get my hands on the components I like to use... sometime next century.
Education is important, but common sense is importanter ~ tknight006
wraithen
hunter

Postby Tim Terrell » Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:46 pm

"Carries like a twenty and hits like a twelve."

That's how they used to describe the sixteen-gauge back when Browning was selling every Belgian-made Auto-5 "Sweet Sixteen" fast as they could build 'em.
--Tim
Tim Terrell
hunter

Previous

Return to Shotgun Forum