My Versamax's first season

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

My Versamax's first season

Postby hamernhonkers » Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:51 pm

Well today my Versamax finished it first season. As best I can put together from my sloppy notes and memory for the waterfowl season, it was feed 12 boxes of Federal Blue box 3" 1 1/4 oz loads, 20 rounds of Federal Heavyweight, and 3 boxes of Fiocchi 3 1/2" 1 9/16 oz 1 shot loads.

I gave it a good cleaning when I first bought it back in August and I quickly put it after doves and clay's so I believe that accounted for somewhere between 3 and 4 cases of light loads. Since the initial cleaning I have wiped it down on the outside and that has been it. This gun has functioned flawlessly with one exception where in the dark one morning I somehow loaded a 20 gauge hull in it and luckily when it cycled after the first shot the 20 bore load got stuck with the 12 bore load that followed in from the magazine against the back of the carrier lift.

I am being to lazy tonight to do the full tare down but tomorrow night I will and we'll see just how dirty it is and look for any signs of ware on the internals.

I will follow up with what I find. For now I am impressed with how it has functioned and I hope time will show this gun as the point where Remington turned things back around :thumbsup:
Hello

David wrote:
I have suspended the suspension on the suspended, allowing the suspended to post in a non-suspending manner.
hamernhonkers
hunter

Re: My Versamax's first season

Postby dfrauenkron » Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:02 pm

Thanks for sharing, have read several good reports on the Versa this week.
dfrauenkron
hunter

Postby hamernhonkers » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:25 pm

Just as a follow up. I did do a full break down and cleaning tonight. I was very surprised to say the least at how clean it stayed for the number of rounds put through it. It really looked like my 11-87 or sx3 would after 100 rounds or so. As far I ware, nothing caught my attention.

So far things are looking good and I am impressed the whole way around with this gun. Now to just let time tell the rest of the story with it :thumbsup:
Hello

David wrote:
I have suspended the suspension on the suspended, allowing the suspended to post in a non-suspending manner.
hamernhonkers
hunter

Postby BurninPowder » Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:22 pm

Thanks for the report. Sounds very similar to my season with the VM... with the exception, I shot a few less rounds. Again it was flawless as yours was and a joy to shoot.
BurninPowder
hunter

Postby cootlover » Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:34 pm

Hammer let me know how it's going after ten season's if it's still going :hi:
cootlover
hunter

Postby hamernhonkers » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:47 pm

cootlover wrote:Hammer let me know how it's going after ten season's if it's still going :hi:

I have a feeling it will still be kicking in 10 years. Maybe next year I'll bring it up and let you shoot a real gun when we go out to kill my swan :wink:

Sent from my BlackBerry 9360 using Tapatalk
Hello

David wrote:
hamernhonkers
hunter

Postby cootlover » Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:03 pm

I like Remington's I just haven't talked crap to you for awhile .I would love to shoot one I had two 1100 really good gun's
cootlover
hunter

Postby everythings ducky » Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:25 pm

Cootlover its only money. I know one of those Versa Max's wants to come home with me but I'm afraid my wife will shoot me with it. One of those new Ethos might work really well for my daughter. I swear it's an addiction.
everythings ducky
hunter

Postby cannon » Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:40 pm

I had one of those and LOVED it. The season's use it gave me convinced me that it was a very reliable gun, and it's probably the lightest kicking 12 gauge I've shouldered.
Smell that? Smells like sumthin died in here.
cannon
hunter

Location: At the stop sign in the ditch at Byers Farm, unlocking the gate.

Postby hamernhonkers » Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:31 pm

cannon wrote:I had one of those and LOVED it. The season's use it gave me convinced me that it was a very reliable gun, and it's probably the lightest kicking 12 gauge I've shouldered.

Cannon, just curious why you parted with it if you don't mind me asking?

Hello

David wrote:
hamernhonkers
hunter

Postby cannon » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:14 pm

hamernhonkers wrote:
cannon wrote:I had one of those and LOVED it. The season's use it gave me convinced me that it was a very reliable gun, and it's probably the lightest kicking 12 gauge I've shouldered.

Cannon, just curious why you parted with it if you don't mind me asking?

Wasn't given much of a choice in the matter . . .

cannon
hunter

Postby hamernhonkers » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:40 pm

Ok that's defiantly all that needs to be said!

Good for her!

Hello

David wrote:
hamernhonkers
hunter

Postby Yuchi1 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:03 pm

I take it she must have filed a compelling brief?

Also, she definitely took after mom and it's prima fascie that you married up boy...waay up! :yes:
Sent from my Sumerian tablets

Does the number of bands claimed simply mean you have an Ebay account?

FSH Pro Staffer

High Potentate, NSSB (no spinning shotcup brotherhood)
Yuchi1
hunter

Postby CrossHare » Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:15 pm

I could only hope Remmy decides to offer it in a 26'' barrel. I'd like to see that and then we'd talk. Nice gun regardless
Failure's hard, but success is far more dangerous. If you're successful at the wrong thing the mix of praise, money and opportunity can lock you in forever.
CrossHare
hunter

Postby cannon » Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:33 pm

Mine was a 26".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
cannon
hunter

Postby CrossHare » Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:18 pm

I have looked at their site and it specifies whereas a Waterfowl edition is concerned they offer 3 barrel lengths, 28, 28 and 28.
Failure's hard, but success is far more dangerous. If you're successful at the wrong thing the mix of praise, money and opportunity can lock you in forever.
CrossHare
hunter

Postby cannon » Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:14 pm

"Sportsman" model is only available in 28". You can get the higher end model in 26". Mine definitely was a 26". Was a black one, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
cannon
hunter

Return to Shotgun Forum