Advice on shotgun

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Advice on shotgun

Postby Hbnel5on » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:44 am

I've been shooting a benelli nova for 7 years now. Great gun very reliable it has treated me right.
But I'm in the market for a new shotgun. I have 3 ideas.. SX3, SBE2 or rem versamax. Pros cons what's up?

Some coot stole my fone.
OHIODUCKA5 wrote:Hookers and blow.
Hbnel5on
hunter

Re: Advice on shotgun

Postby z51 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:49 am

SX 3 It is full featured, very reliable, soft shooting yet light. Best bang for the buck in Black Shadow.
z51
hunter

Postby gearhead80 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:01 am

I can tell you this. If you shoot that Nova well and like the way it points, the Super Vinci feels and handles identical. Although, the other guns you posted will definitely get the job done. Whatever fits you and your budget best. Also look at the Maxus too..
If I ask a question, I don't want your opinion. I want facts.
Don't tell me something you think, tell me something you know.
It's easier to say I don't know, than make something up.
Although, being a forum the next guy will know more no matter what.
gearhead80
hunter

Postby Hbnel5on » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:27 am

I have shouldered all but versamax. The sx3 seems to have a great fit to me. Which is weird because I'm a fairly large guy and it seems to be compact kinda like the nova which I've grown so fond of.. I believe it's like the nova except lighter

Some coot stole my fone.
Hbnel5on
hunter

Postby everythings ducky » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:37 am

All good choices. It depends on fit, feel and what you want in a shotgun. The Versa Max (8lbs) will recoil the least but is the heaviest (8lbs). The SBEII (7,6) recoils the most, weighs in between the Versa Max and SX3 and allows you to clean it a little less/slightly easier to clean. The SX3 (7,3) is the lightest, fast shooting, recoils less than the SBEII and slightly more than the Versa Max but much lighter and the best bang for the buck. At Sportsmans Wherehouse, they had the SX3 on sale again for $899. You can just about buy two SX3's for the price of the SBEII. The SX3 is known for reliability so you could just save yourself some money. If you need a status symbol, need to be in the little club like people who buy BMW's and don't mind it costing a bunch of money, get the SBEII. I found a Maxus (very similar to the SX3) for $950 and love the gun. It's light, fast shooting, soft recoiling, very reliable and best bang for the buck. I bought two (one for me and one for my son). I am practical and the Maxus best fits my needs the best. Your needs maybe different and it's nice to have choices to find a gun that fits you best. Oh and I am 6' 215, in good shape and didn't need to adjust the gun out of the box. My son is 6'1 and the gun fits him fine out of the box. The Mossy oak duck blind camo has been great. Hope that helps. Good luck.
everythings ducky
hunter

Postby Hbnel5on » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:32 pm

Thanks man. I know the sx3 felt great for me when i shouldered it some. And I have no status symbol haha

Some coot stole my fone.
Hbnel5on
hunter

Postby Tgunz_64 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:50 pm

Hmmm... Tough choice. I guess if it were me it would be between the sb2 or sx3. Benellis fit me perfectly and the Winchester fits nice too. Don't care for the feel of the versa max. Feels cheaply built too. But do you want to spend $900 or $1700? I own a super Vinci that I love. Great gun to shoot. So I'd say it's how much do you want to spend? I think they are both great guns.
Tgunz_64
hunter

Postby garlicsalt » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:08 pm

i got my SX3 this past christmas. 28" MODB. i've put about 5 box's of 3" shells and one box of 3.5" through the gun with no hiccups. i was a bit apprehensive when i pulled the trigger the 1st time with the 31/2 but i really didn't notice much difference. i'm 5'8" 185lbs and i think it fit's me pretty good right out of the box i've ben killing ducks with it,missing some too. the SX3 is a simple gun and very easy to clean. good luck and good duckn.
garlicsalt
hunter

Postby Hbnel5on » Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:25 am

I really have heard nothing but great about an sx3. The recoil can't be any worse than my nova. Haha

Some coot stole my fone.
Hbnel5on
hunter

Return to Shotgun Forum