advice on saltwater gun

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

advice on saltwater gun

Postby buzp » Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:27 pm

I have been using a wood stocked cynergy on the Texas coast this year and the saltwater causes light rust on the ejectors each trip. I clean it after each hunt and treat metal parts with barricade after each hunt. The barrels are doing ok, its just the ejectors and the surrounding metal that seems to be a problem. Would I be better off to get a gun with a tougher coating or just use the cynergy? I've been thinking about getting a benelli nova or a franchi affinity or Beretta a 300 to use at the coast and keep that cynergy for inland hunting only. What are your thoughts on a decent coastal gun?
buzp
Newb

Re: advice on saltwater gun

Postby jpari » Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:38 pm

I don't think that there is a better salt gun than the Beretta Xtrema 2. The aqua technology is really great. Google aqua technology and you will find out all the intricacies of it. I have been using mine for 4 years in the salt and it looks as good as new. I sometimes just hose it off after a hunt and spray it down with WD40 to displace remaining water and wipe it down with a paper towel. The gun is as tough as nails. Beretta doesn't produce it any more but, you may find a new one on the net that is old stock. Otherwise possibly a lightly used one.
jpari
hunter

Postby KRB » Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:58 pm

The A400 Xtreme also has aqua technology. I have heard of some early one's with problems ejecting 3.5 shells. I only hunt salt marsh and mine has been bulletproof. I clean it after every hunt in the salt and no corrosion issues of any kind.
KRB
hunter

Postby buzp » Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:11 pm

Thanks, the a400 looks like a good one for the salt, just hoping for a lower priced option.
buzp
Newb

Postby Gabagool » Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:40 pm

I have a camo dipped Cynergy with similar problems. I find almost instantaneous rust on the metal trigger guard, the locking lever and the forend release lever. Even the gold trigger starts to rust. The bores are ok, but I also find some rust around the ejectors and in the choke threads. It is really frustrating. I wanted the camo gun to avoid these problems. Other than that it is a great gun. I also have a Super Vinci and a Nova which do not rust up this easily, although they do rust in the salt. You just have to stay on top of the Browning and make sure you clean it after every hunt. Otherwise the gun is the envy of the blind
Gabagool
hunter

Postby Normmcclean » Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:37 pm

Grew up hunting the salt marshes in mexico on the Pacific side and the only thing that held up was nickel plating. Matte finish plating then grass painted finish over that works great and also helped the guns internal reliability
Normmcclean
hunter

Postby creole » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:29 pm

Cerakote it and problem solved

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
creole
hunter

Postby creole » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:30 pm

Or a winchester camo sx3

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
creole
hunter

Postby 1448jonboat » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:12 am

I sent my gun and my sons' guns to Birdsong to have them coated with Black-T. Black-T is holding up very well in the salt marshes I hunt.
1448jonboat
hunter

Return to Shotgun Forum