Browning Maxxus...barrel blew out

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Browning Maxxus...barrel blew out

Postby ltrosson » Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:00 pm

A group of us were ducking hunting this past weekend and one hunter looked at the other and asked if his camo was coming off of his barrel. When he looked at it the end of the barrel and choke tube were split on the under side. We had already been shooting that morning for a while when this was noticed.

He called Browning this morning and the person he spoke to said "what do you want, Browning to give you a new barrel, we will discount the new barrel". The gun is two years old, the kicker is they did not even want to look at it.....any thoughts on this, any other similar problems.
ltrosson
hunter

Re: Browning Maxxus...barrel blew out

Postby everythings ducky » Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:32 pm

Here we go again. Without pictures it didn't happen. Tough to tell without looking at it. People are amazing in that most on here will be quick to blame the company and want a replacement when it was owner caused. High majority of the time, it was an obstruction that caused it. Stuck wad then fired, bridging shot, mud in the barrel, loose choke, choke failure etc. Nice of them to offer you a discounted barrel. Check out NJonsey's thread regarding his blown barrel in the repair section. Good reading. It's long.
everythings ducky
hunter

Postby ltrosson » Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:09 pm

Here we go again...smartass that cant comprehend what they read. No big deal for me I shoot Beretta's. Again seemed the post posed a question
ltrosson
hunter

Postby ltrosson » Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:28 pm

IMG_0611.jpg
Browning maxxus
ltrosson
hunter

Postby Leupold87 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:35 pm

Haha and i bet ur buddy was shooting bb or bbb at 1500fps.... That is a carlson long range choke aka a full choke with lead shot extra full with steel shot ....i know carlson says u can shoot bb out of the long range....but you barrel can.only take so.much of a beating. And this could and looks like the victim of over choking your gun with the selected shells

Sent from my Motorola RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2
Leupold87
hunter

Postby ltrosson » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:33 pm

Now ass uming....maybe carlson makes black cloud chokes, I dont know, but it would be 4 shot.
ltrosson
hunter

Postby njonesy_07 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:05 pm

everythings ducky wrote:Here we go again. Without pictures it didn't happen. Tough to tell without looking at it. People are amazing in that most on here will be quick to blame the company and want a replacement when it was owner caused. High majority of the time, it was an obstruction that caused it. Stuck wad then fired, bridging shot, mud in the barrel, loose choke, choke failure etc. Nice of them to offer you a discounted barrel. Check out NJonsey's thread regarding his blown barrel in the repair section. Good reading. It's long.

My apologies about the length of that topic.

If there is anything I learned in my experience, it is to be very considerate of the muzzle. Whether that's watching what ammo you put through a particular choke tube, checking often for a loose choke or obstructions in the muzzle or barrel (stuck wad). In my incident, I had fairly decent documentation and still very little was able to be determined.

In addition, I learned that Benelli would have replaced my barrel if I had been shooting their factory chokes. Just something to consider for the future.

The only observation that I'll offer on this thread is that the full choke raises a red flag.

I definitely feel for your buddy. Its a difficult situation for sure.
Jonesy
njonesy_07
State Moderator

Postby clampdaddy » Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:04 pm

Ouch! That sucks. The bulge prior to the mouth of the choke tube looks like it was caused by an obstruction. What's the mouth of the tube look like? If it was fired after the initial rupture it could explain that second bulge and why it split all the way to the muzzle. Looks like some shot got in between the tube and barrel and caused the second bulge/ruptured area. Well, at least your friend can cut it down and possibly be the first guy with a home defence version of the Maxus. :lol3:
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby everythings ducky » Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:02 am

ltrosson wrote:Here we go again...smartass that cant comprehend what they read. No big deal for me I shoot Beretta's. Again seemed the post posed a question

My intent was not to offend you. You asked for comments. I gave them. There have been many threads like this over the last year or two with similar conclusions that you are reading now. Hence the comment here we go again. I referenced a thread with good information regarding a situation similar to yours. It happened to a Benelli M2. A Beretta would have had a similar outcome. This is not exclusive to Browning. You and your buddies are fortunate that the gun didn't kill or maim any of you. A person years back where I hunt was not so lucky. Metal shards killed him. NJonsey glad it worked out for you. We all learned a thing or two from your thread or were reminded of the dangers and what to check.
everythings ducky
hunter

Postby 23yearsago » Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:41 am

I shoot a Browning and use extended chokes. I coat the threads of my chokes lightly with moly-lube...so I never have to be one of the ones on here posting "My chokes stuck and I don't know what to do".... BUT,, possibly,, because I lube the threads and tighten by hand,, that's what the knurled end is for, right ? ease of install/removal ?....If I shoot a lot that tube loosens a little and after several rounds I find myself checking and re-tightening the tube. Now if I didn't check at all and the tube became really loose, I fully expect that gases (or wad petal) could get between the threads and outer barrel and cause the exact same thing that happened here.
ANY gun manufacturer that offers a discount on a replacement barrel on a two-year old gun without investigation knows it's very likely not a manufacturing problem. Best to take them up on their offer. If that still leaves a bad taste,, sell that gun and buy another brand. I'd bet you make sure to check the choke tightness in the future.
23yearsago
hunter

Postby ltrosson » Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:39 am

The only observation that I'll offer on this thread is that the full choke raises a red flag.

The group I was hunting with all shoot # 3's or 4's so I guess we all ass umed extended range (full) chokes were acceptable, hell I guess because they are marketed that way. In the real world are extended range chokes with steel shot bad for the gun, serious question for future references.
ltrosson
hunter

Postby TROB » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:28 am

yea, typically modified is the tightest you can go with steel.

Some manufacturers have full chokes that are rated for steel, but i'd still be nervous about it.
Idaho...
TROB
hunter

Postby everythings ducky » Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:13 pm

ltrosson wrote:

The group I was hunting with all shoot # 3's or 4's so I guess we all ass umed extended range (full) chokes were acceptable, hell I guess because they are marketed that way. In the real world are extended range chokes with steel shot bad for the gun, serious question for future references.

I know when I talked to Carlson and Briley both stated not to shoot steel loads through their full chokes. Improved Modified is the tightest and that is with loads 1550fps and less. Terror and Trulock (Superwaterfowl only) are one the the few that allows steels loads through their full chokes but they give limits as well. I talked to Briley and Terror about their recommended limitations when I bought them to avoid what happened to you and your buddies. I suggest this practice and know the limitations. I know it states on Carlson's website you can shoot 1550fps or less and smaller than BB but I wouldn't. The only full chokes I will shoot steel loads through are the Terrors and Trulock Superwaterfowl chokes. They are a lot stronger steel. And stay within their recommended limits. That's me. I don't want to take a chance on having the gun blow up in my face or anyone I care about.
everythings ducky
hunter

Postby Johnnyrad » Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:10 pm

Hey Guy's

I don't know what it is or what you are shooting to have a full or even Xtra full in your shotgun? Ducks, Geese, Flying Giraffes Jeezzz. Here's the thing I'm assuming most use their shotguns for Duck or Geese yours looks like a waterfowl gun. I just got back from the second last week of shooting ducks, my so called buddies tell me ya we're using modified chokes and #4's, I'd seen em get some pretty long shots 50+ yards, so I do the same change choke, stupid me shots I take also they're getting them I'm not. So I'm miffed a little didn't do as well as I usually do. partner gets home calls me back he's cleaning his gun pulls his choke out, he's using IC which is would work out to be a Modified. Point is I was using a Modified= Full for steel eh, so I feel, if your trying to bring down geese get em closer, callem in use decoys. when I use my IC I can get em. Just sayin.
Johnnyrad
hunter

Postby everythings ducky » Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:18 pm

what you are shooting....Flying Giraffes Jeezzz.

That's funny. :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3:
everythings ducky
hunter

Return to Shotgun Forum