BPS 10 ga

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

BPS 10 ga

Postby wjarrell » Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:35 pm

I've been tossing around the idea of buy a BPS 10 gauge. I think it would be a fun gun to have and I would only use it when we shoot our goose blind on the lake. I know it's gonna kick, thats a given, but that doesn't bother me. Anyone have any experience with the BPS 10?
wjarrell
hunter

Re: BPS 10 ga

Postby Cujo1 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:59 pm

wjarrell wrote:I've been tossing around the idea of buy a BPS 10 gauge. I think it would be a fun gun to have and I would only use it when we shoot our goose blind on the lake. I know it's gonna kick, thats a given, but that doesn't bother me. Anyone have any experience with the BPS 10?

I have one. Love to shoot it, recoil isn't any worse than a 12. Pattern it before using, mine is kind of picky about ammo. Drylock BBB is a solid choice for mine. Solid guns, shouldn't have any issues. The only negative heard is getting the trigger assembly back in when cleaning. There is a half moon pin that will rotate when you take out the trigger assembly. Pay attention to how it goes in and the gun is a breeze to clean :thumbsup:
All turkeys must die!

bighop wrote:Destined to be a child of the system now. Bounced around from house to house, abused, mistreated, earning his way on the streets. There's probably an expensive crack habit and a pair of those hind-leg wheels in his near futre.
Cujo1
hunter

Postby TEN GAUGE BBB » Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:33 am

I have not had any trouble with my BPS 10. It is a fine shotgun. It is a real workhorse and has taken a lot of abuse. The felt recoil is not as bad as one might think. I do not use it much any more. I use it for a back up gun for my Gold 10. I will be using the BPS on my spring Snow Goose hunt this year so it should (I hope) get a lot of action. I find it strange that the BPS 10 and the Gold 10 use the same chokes but give very different results. My BPS 10 likes T shot but the Gold 10 likes BBB. The Gold Light 10 likes BB,BBB and T. I will be trying out a few new choke tubes this year with different shot sizes for the 10's this year. I hope you enjoy your BPS 10 should you decide to get one.
TEN GAUGE BBB
hunter

Postby z51 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:04 am

I owned mine for 20 years and sold it last year. If you don't have to carry it very far it's fine. I'm 6' 5" and over 200 lbs and didn't like the way it handled. Also shells are pretty expensive. I shoot Nitro Mags out of my SX2 and don't miss my BPS at all.
z51
hunter

Postby Phoneman7 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:08 pm

I'm picking up a 30" BPS 10 fri for 300 bucks. I cant wait to use it on some geese
Phoneman7
hunter

Postby wjarrell » Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:48 pm

I'll keep my eyes open for a used one in goos condition. I have feeling though that the 10 won't be around for much longer. Just seems like the demand isn't very high anymore. I hope I'm wrong though.
wjarrell
hunter

Postby ChrisR » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:10 pm

Personally I see more 10ga guns used in the field than 16 or 28 gauge. I think they'll stick around a while. I have a gold 10 and would prefer shooting 3 1/2 inch shells out of that any day of the week over the 3 1/2 inch 12's.
ChrisR
hunter

Postby wjarrell » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:13 pm

ChrisR wrote:Personally I see more 10ga guns used in the field than 16 or 28 gauge. I think they'll stick around a while. I have a gold 10 and would prefer shooting 3 1/2 inch shells out of that any day of the week over the 3 1/2 inch 12's.

Ya I agree with you about seeming more of them in the field than the sub gauges. I think the sub gauges get used more on the clays game than in the field but I could be wrong.
wjarrell
hunter

Postby Phoneman7 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:28 pm

I think the only reason 10's aren't more popular is that other than a single shot browning is the only one that still makes one. I'm pretty sure they quit with the SP-10 remington
Phoneman7
hunter

Postby wjarrell » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:00 pm

Anyone know who has one in stock? (I know its a shot in the dark)
wjarrell
hunter

Postby mudpack » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:20 pm

wjarrell wrote: I know it's gonna kick.... but that doesn't bother me.

The knowledge that it will kick won't bother you one tenth of the amount that the actual recoil will. :thumbsup:

...and recoil is the only reason I'd think twice about that gun.
mudpack
hunter

Postby wjarrell » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:22 pm

mudpack wrote:

The knowledge that it will kick won't bother you one tenth of the amount that the actual recoil will. :thumbsup:

have you ever shot one?
wjarrell
hunter

Postby 10gaOkie » Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:18 am

I have owned four of them over the years. Never a single problem occured with any of mine. They are truely solid guns and trouble free. If I were to say anything negative about them its the factory recoil pad that comes with them being a solid rubber pad. Recoil is not as much as shooting a 12ga with 3.5" shells. The gun's extra weight really tames the felt recoil. Having concern about recoil with the BPS10 is silly. With it being a heavier gun, it takes a little getting used to it's weight slowing down your swing on targets. It is definitely the best choice for your first 10ga, not to mention the fun you will have shooting it. Dont limit yourself, its fun shooting ducks too with the BPS10, namely 45 and 50 yard shots.

Chris
10gaOkie
hunter

Postby wjarrell » Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:44 pm

wjarrell wrote:
mudpack wrote:

have you ever shot one?

I don't think mudstick has ever shot a 10. He just chimes in, tells everybody what he thinks the truth is whether it is or not, and continues to stir the pot. At least thats all I've read seen from him sense I've joined.
wjarrell
hunter

Postby lostknife4 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:54 pm

A trick for reassembly: cut a white , 7/8" x 7/16", eraser about an eighth of an inch longer than the width of the receiver. Put it in just ahead of the trigger assembly and twist it so it crushes the two activating rods into their channels, line up the pin grooves of the activating rods, make sure the cross pins in the trigger assembly are centered and the carrier release lever is hard against the trigger assembly then just rock it in the same way you rocked it out then twist the eraser out and your all done!! Pin it of course.
Lost
"It's not the game but the chase ~ not the trophy but the race !" from my Dad, many years ago.
lostknife4
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:58 pm

Thanks bill ! I was wondering about how much of a problem pulling this BPS down would be and putting it back together .
Simple ideas from experienced Back Woods Experts sure make it sound easy ! :t :yes: humbsup:
3200 man
hunter

Postby DeadDuckChuck » Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:32 am

My father has had one for four years now and I have never seen a single issue out if it. The recoil is not that bad and the extra weight really helps out a lot. The shells eject from the bottom of the receiver wich is a nice feature when hunting next to others (no hulls in your partners face). The only negative thing that can be said about the gun is weight. With a little practice it's pretty easy to get use to.
DeadDuckChuck
Newb

Postby BigGoonTuna » Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:56 am

wjarrell wrote:I'll keep my eyes open for a used one in goos condition. I have feeling though that the 10 won't be around for much longer. Just seems like the demand isn't very high anymore. I hope I'm wrong though.

with the price of heavy non toxics skyrocketing towards 4 bucks a shot for 12 gauge ammo, i like to think the 10 is ripe for another resurgence. just have to convince the gunmakers that it's worth it(i'd love to see a 10 bore versamax myself).
BigGoonTuna
hunter

Postby lostknife4 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:30 am

3200 man wrote:Thanks bill ! I was wondering about how much of a problem pulling this BPS down would be and putting it back together .
Simple ideas from experienced Back Woods Experts sure make it sound easy ! :t :yes: humbsup:

Back woods for sure LOL, when I was a lot younger I bought a farm so I would be in the back woods for a long time and so far that has kept my solitude, without a social deficiency, peace and quiet without having to build a fence around it ......
A lot of times guys just come up with what we feel are simple solutions to some pretty complex situations and never think that some other guys maybe could use a few tips, only when I read this was a problem, that a few guys have had, did I think hey this has been a real problem for a lot of BPS owners. A tip here and there really makes a difference and keeps the blood pressure down lol.
My daughter always buys me those mind bender puzzles for Xmas just to keep me on edge I think, anyway I enjoy them immensely.
I had a professor that taught us Nuclear Physics while at university and he made it so simple that we wondered why we just didn't already know this stuff LOL, all complex things are difficult until someone shows you how to do it easily, nobody is an expert at everything.
Lost
"It's not the game but the chase ~ not the trophy but the race !" from my Dad, many years ago.
lostknife4
hunter

Postby lostknife4 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:44 am

BigGoonTuna wrote:
wjarrell wrote:I'll keep my eyes open for a used one in goos condition. I have feeling though that the 10 won't be around for much longer. Just seems like the demand isn't very high anymore. I hope I'm wrong though.

with the price of heavy non toxics skyrocketing towards 4 bucks a shot for 12 gauge ammo, i like to think the 10 is ripe for another resurgence. just have to convince the gunmakers that it's worth it(i'd love to see a 10 bore versamax myself).

I went in the opposite direction and am using a 28 ga 5/8 to 1 oz loadings @ $49.00/pound TSS. Fewer shots to kill makes for a cheaper all round ammo cost because the TSS is so ballistically superior to anything on the market. I also am loading it in some shortened 2-7/8" 10 ga in 1-1/4 oz loads but that still is in the experimental stages. If the proponents of overbore 12 ga are so excited that they have a 10 bore barrel then they should really be using a 10 ga IMHO and by handloading the 10 they can tailor their loads for the best economy, pattern density and a full range of shot sizes and payload. I have a couple of 3-1/2" 12 ga guns but have only fired 3-1/2" from my 10 ga.
lostknife4
hunter

Postby TEN GAUGE BBB » Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:56 pm

lostknife4 wrote:If the proponents of overbore 12 ga are so excited that they have a 10 bore barrel then they should really be using a 10 ga IMHO and by handloading the 10 they can tailor their loads for the best economy, pattern density and a full range of shot sizes and payload
:thumbsup:
TEN GAUGE BBB
hunter

Postby lostknife4 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:21 am

TEN GAUGE BBB wrote:
lostknife4 wrote:If the proponents of overbore 12 ga are so excited that they have a 10 bore barrel then they should really be using a 10 ga IMHO and by handloading the 10 they can tailor their loads for the best economy, pattern density and a full range of shot sizes and payload
:thumbsup:

I have often wondered the same thing, when I want a 10 bore barrel I use a 10 bore gun. My 2-7/8" 1-1/4 oz #7 TSS are a real joy to shoot out of my BPS. I wouldn't have a semi 10 again unless it would function with reduced loads, you lose too much versatility.
Lost

Notice that with a lower MV the TSS has a higher gel penetration and also there is almost 5 times the amount of pellets than F shot , the closest competitor in the gel penetration scale and with the F having a higher MV. If we increase the TSS MV the range increases but I find it hard to justify anyone shooting to 80 yards! AT 1350 the TSS is almost equal the F in range but still better in the gel penetration. The deciding criteria for shot of equal or nearly equal gel penetration and a given 600 fps @ range will always be the pattern density and I would suggest that an order of magnitude of 5 times greater pellets will give a much better pattern at any range.
Lost
lostknife4
hunter

Postby 10gaOkie » Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:04 am

My first BPS10 had a 24" barrel. Despite its short barrel, I had a blast with it. Wish I could do it all over again. When armed with that gun, geese were always in the bag while pass shooting over water while duck hunting. After owning other BPS10s with longer barrels did I find out the longer barrels gave me a much better sight radius for more effective shots. I have never found regular steel shot loads to be undergunned while using the 10ga. Thus, I see no need for TSS. I have tried to adjust my mind to the price of TSS but I cannot do so. I think the 10ga popularity has not dropped off any in recent years. I still see about the same number of people wanting one right after season ends. Normally, Gunbroker has about a dozen Gold 10s listed but right now they have none. As long as you reload for the 10, there is no reason to have concern about having a good supply of ammo once you get your gun. I can sell a 10ga 10x faster than I can a 12ga. They still are in high demand without dropoff as far as I can see but they never will catch up with the 12ga popularity and I never expected them to do so. As long as there is shotgun shooting, there will always be guys that have never shot a ten, telling you how much they kick your shoulder off. Once you get one, I am sure you will have the fun I did with mine and still do. I too at one time fell to the false claims of heavy recoil with the ten gauge, I just wanted one for myself too much that I over came the here say. I wish I had done it sooner. When looking for a BPS10, try to stick with either a 28 or 30 inch barrel. Adds a little more weight but you will be better off in the end, trust me.

Chris
10gaOkie
hunter

Postby lostknife4 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:28 pm

My BPS came with a 30" barrel and after an introduction to my chop saw became a 26", I sent it off to Briley and they installed tubes and I have since purchased new extended tubes for steel which makes the barrel about 28 or so. It's hard to justify the TSS in the 10ga but I feel with 1-1/4 0z of #7 I have an "over bored" 12 ga using 2-7/8" hulls and at 1350 fps will outperform any 12 ga 3-1/2" loadings and have less recoil and less noise. I am using a Briley inscribed M extended 1", a bit more open @ Ø.750 than your favorite tube but TSS does it's best with a more open choke. I had the gun bead blasted and then re-blued for a dull finish and put a different recoil pad on it. When I bought it there were no options for finish.
It's a blast to use and with the shorter barrel swings fairly quick, I would 't be interested in a semi in 10.
Lost
lostknife4
hunter

Postby wjarrell » Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:15 pm

I bought one last night. (I'm pretty excited) When I hit the pattern board I'll start with my IC and M but if I think I can get better patterns with after market chokes, what constriction do you guys recommend with BBB or T's? I know I here everyone talk about terror .720 but isn't that consistent with the same constriction as a turkey choke? Seems kind of tight and dangerous with large steel but I don't much. Any thoughts or recommendations?
wjarrell
hunter

Next

Return to Shotgun Forum