Remington 20g 3" guns

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Remington 20g 3" guns

Postby Columbia Basin Local » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:54 pm

Does anyone have 20g experience or an opinion of 1100,11-87, or 870 (express or WM) in "3 guns? Asking because I want a lighter option sometimes and would love to pass down a "first" gun to my son. How is the build quality of the express, same as the 12g. WM might be nice but i have a 12g Express i bought in '94 that has never failed once.
Last edited by Columbia Basin Local on Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
"We're calling, because the birds won't respond to texts."- Jim Ronquest, RNT-V
Columbia Basin, home of the sagebrush duck blind!
Columbia Basin Local
hunter

Re: Remington 20g 3" guns

Postby cluckmeister » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:11 pm

Im a Remington fan, I have 6 of them. In my humble opinion the express aren't their best product by far. If you want a really nice 20 gauge, Search gunbroker or gunsinternational for a Model 1100 G3, they are the best 1100s made and were only made for 3 years. The action is super smooth, and all the internal parts are teflon coated. I have both the 12 and 20 gauge in this particular model and out of all my shotguns the 20 gauge G3 is my favorite to shoot
Last edited by cluckmeister on Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you're there for the limit, you're there for the wrong reason
cluckmeister
State Moderator

Postby hamernhonkers » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:23 pm

The 11-87 20 served me well for a solid 5 years of duck and goose shooting. The only reason its sits now is it was replaced with an sx3 20 for a season and now a versamax. I really have a problem with buying new guns every year or two lol.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9360 using Tapatalk
Hello

David wrote:
I have suspended the suspension on the suspended, allowing the suspended to post in a non-suspending manner.
hamernhonkers
hunter

Re: Remington 20g 3

Postby cluckmeister » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:30 pm

hamernhonkers wrote:The 11-87 20 served me well for a solid 5 years of duck and goose shooting. The only reason its sits now is it was replaced with an sx3 20 for a season and now a versamax. I really have a problem with buying new guns every year or two lol.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9360 using Tapatalk

I have the same illness as you but its not shotguns, its Colt Single Action Armys and Ivory grips for them LOL
cluckmeister
State Moderator

Postby cannon » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:28 pm

Bought an 1187 for my daughter when she was 9 and slapped a youth stock on it. Performed like a champ until she stole one of my favorite 12's this season. I've got a 3901 in 20, a browning silver in 20, and that 1187 in 20. My favorite is the 3901. It will handle 3/4 oz loads like a dream and is light recoiling. 2nd place would go to that 1187. I'd put the silver in 3rd because it won't handle loads under 7/8 oz reliably. Like it for 3" loads, but would prefer either of the others for doves & clays.
Smell that? Smells like sumthin died in here.
cannon
hunter

Location: At the stop sign in the ditch at Byers Farm, unlocking the gate.

Postby Columbia Basin Local » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:08 am

Thanks guys for the quick responses. Cluck- is G3 a generation 3 or does it mean something else? Canon- thanks, you to respond to most of my posts and as always have been very helpful. It sounds as though you guys have had nothing but good experiences with Rem 20's unlike some recent 12's. Thanks again.
Columbia Basin Local
hunter

Postby mudpack » Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:37 am

I had an 11-87 Premier 20 ga for about six years. Never could stop it from stovepiping about every 15-20 shots. Finally sold it and bought an SX3 20ga a year ago.
Except for the stovepiping, I loved the gun.
mudpack
hunter

Postby cluckmeister » Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:21 am

Columbia Basin Local wrote:Thanks guys for the quick responses. Cluck- is G3 a generation 3 or does it mean something else? Canon- thanks, you to respond to most of my posts and as always have been very helpful. It sounds as though you guys have had nothing but good experiences with Rem 20's unlike some recent 12's. Thanks again.

I believe its a generation 3 gun, here is the Remington over view from Remington

Overview:

Soft recoil, dependability, balanced pointing characteristics – the Model 1100™ G3 is all that made the original Model 1100 America’s most trusted semi-auto shotgun, only better.

Available in 12 and 20 gauge, its improved, technologically advanced gas system cycles 2 3/4" and 3" magnum loads with equal efficiency. By coating key internal parts with Teflon,® we’ve created an action that’s easier to clean, smoother and more reliable. The PVD-coated receiver adds durability and a great new look. Felt recoil is reduced and pattern consistency is improved by the overbored barrel.

Then there’s Realwood,® our exclusive high-grade walnut construction that meshes genuine American walnut with carbon reinforcements for striking looks that will withstand extreme abuse.

No autoloader has folded more birds or crushed more targets than the venerable Model 1100. We’re proud to announce the legacy has advanced – welcome the next generation – the Model 1100 G3.

Key Features:
America’s most popular autoloading shotgun with 2 3/4" and 3" capability
Internal parts plated with nickel-Teflon® finish for ultra-smooth reliability: receiver, action bars, action-bar sleeve, magazine tube, hammer and sear
PVD-coated receiver
Realwood® carbon-reinforced, high-grade American walnut laminate stock and matching fore-end
Stylish new checkering pattern
12-gauge models feature overbored barrels (0.735") and lengthened forcing cones
All models equipped with 5 choke tubes (ProBore® on 12 ga., Rem® Choke on 20 ga.)
Insignia “R” on grip cap
Comes with custom gun case

As I said they are hard to find but if youre not in a rush to get a gun, its worth the wait. The wood on most of them is really super nice, they took two slabs of high grade walnut and bonded them together with a thin bond line making a unique butt stock. Ive had my 20 since 07 and have put tons of rounds thru it. I like it so well that my standard 20 gauge LT stays in the cabinet. With the stock limbsaver butt pad its a lot more pleasant to shoot. Ive shot as much as 10 boxes of light loads in a days time wearing nothing but a t shirt with out any shoulder pain which is good because I have severe arthritis in it.

BTW they were made only 3 years and Remington quit making them. 07,08 and 09. They initially ran 1250 bucks which was a bit steep to most guys, but they come with a great with velvet lined hard case with compartments to hold items, the inside is much like a good guitar case and they also come with 5 chokes. I believe the case alone was like 200 bucks, I bought my 12 gauge because I just wanted both gauges and use it about 2 times a year. Also I have a friend that bought his 2 sons the G3 12 gauge for xmas presents in 09 and these two teenage boys have put their guns thru hell but have never had a problem with them
cluckmeister
State Moderator

Postby Columbia Basin Local » Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:52 am

Thanks Cluck for the write up
Columbia Basin Local
hunter

Postby cluckmeister » Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:41 am

Columbia Basin Local wrote:Thanks Cluck for the write up

You are welcome, the G3s especially the 20s don't last long on the web sites I mentioned. I found one on Gunbroker one morning last week and it was gone that afternoon
cluckmeister
State Moderator

Return to Shotgun Forum