over under for duck/goose hunting?

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

over under for duck/goose hunting?

Postby michiganduckhunter » Sun Feb 27, 2005 1:03 pm

Question for anyone; I've heard that over unders are some of the best shooting guns out there. Does anyone take one duck or goose hunting? Any recommendations on makes/models. Most of my shooting is duck and goose, with some clays. I've heard some over unders are comparable price to pumps. Few moving parts means less problems cleaning/jamming/etc. Please advise.
michiganduckhunter
hunter

Postby labman45 » Sun Feb 27, 2005 3:31 pm

I use a mossberg intl some of the mossbergs have a bad reputatuion, but this gun dosent really live up to the mossberg name. I use it for pheasant and waterfowl and i love it. :salude:
labman45
hunter

Postby Ducksbeus » Sun Feb 27, 2005 4:12 pm

Im wanting a Browning Citori...the wife has other ideas :laughing: :laughing:
"You get what you put in, and people get what they deserve" Hank Jr. and Kid Rock
Ducksbeus
hunter

Postby thaner » Mon Feb 28, 2005 8:37 am

I love them, but don't much care for the ones that are the price of a pump. Those just feel like a 4x4 post to me. I really like the Browning and Beretta guns, and the Ruger is OK also. Some of the Turkish imports are supposed to be Ok. For a waterfowl gun one of the low dollar ones may be the way to go, but I personally wouldn’t go less than a Ruger. It is a little harder to get the water out of the trigger system if you really get one wet. I think if you only have two shots you often shoot better than if you have more and I really like two different chokes. I use an O/U when I can take good care of it in the field and the weather is fair, but for the down and dirty stuff I prefer my xtrema and 870.
More ammo! I need to shoot something!
thaner
hunter

Postby DUKHTR » Mon Feb 28, 2005 8:47 am

I have a few and have used them for waterfowling every now-n-then....but they are expensive and I just can't bring myself to pound them around in a boat, blind or salt water rocky areas, etc....so I also have a couple of the Stoeger Condor Supremes...one is a 20 I just got and I will use it this next season. I have to disagree with Thaner on some of the lower end doubles....but I also agree that some are just not there....I like the Stoeger but I do not like the Fausti or the Baikal.....remember it is personal preference......for example the Stoeger - for me - has a good balance (especially the 20), excellent wood, crisp trigger, single selective trigger with ejectors, good bluing....on the other hand the wood to block fit underneath along the trigger guard is not too great and the checkering is shallow. I was willing to give in those issues for a third of the cost of my other doubles. If the dog knocks it over I will not cringe either. I consider these guns as workhorses and not range pieces.
DUKHTR
Forum & State Moderator

Postby the_duckinator » Mon Feb 28, 2005 3:35 pm

I have a 20 year old Rossi side by side 20 gauge, and love it. It points swings, and fits nicely. Side by side's get a bad rap, but I like them better than over unders. By dad has a Beretta featherlight 12 gauge, and my gun balances better, and I like the feel better too. He agrees :smile: . Not many companies are making side by sides, but if I were you I'd look into one. My only problem is I have to shoot bismuth which is hard on the wallet, so I don't take it in the duck blind much. Can't beat it for pheasant, dove, and rabbit though :getdown:
the_duckinator
hunter

Postby Bret » Fri Mar 04, 2005 1:59 pm

I shot a Citori for ten years in the marsh I think they hunt real well. I would recomend them if you can afford 'em.

Bret
Bret
hunter

Return to Shotgun Forum