Hunting over/under

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Re: Hunting over/under

Postby wjarrell » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:13 pm

This is the only picture I could find. It is from 2 seasons ago.
wjarrell
hunter

Postby 10gaOkie » Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:28 am

I shoot a Yildiz SPZ-ME 12ga O/U. I love mine and have owned it for several years. After buying it I sold my 686 Beretta, liking the Yildiz just as well. They are still available new from Academy Sports, the only importer, for under 500. I have also seen good buys on these listed on gunbroker.com. Service on the Yildiz is from Briley and it takes Briley made chokes. Limbsaver also makes a prefit pad for this gun which is needed. It comes with 3" chambers, single selective trigger and auto ejectors. Not a single glitch with my Yildiz after several thousand rounds through it.

Chris
10gaOkie
hunter

Postby Dep6 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:52 am

I have hunted NoDak and Canada with my Satin Citori and out of my boat many days, I have never really missed that 3rd shot though folks have told me that I would. I love mine and seldom ever have I shot 3 1/2 shells, the 3"s have been plenty to kill ducks and geese even in the fields of NoDak.
Saving the Poodles of America, one Alligator at a time!!
Dep6
Site Admin

Postby mudpack » Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:19 pm

Dep6 wrote:I have hunted NoDak and Canada with my Satin Citori and out of my boat many days, I have never really missed that 3rd shot ....

Interesting. I shoot autoloaders and have occasionally sorely missed having a 4th shot........
I don't use the third shot every time I shoot, but I use it enough to be glad I have it.
mudpack
hunter

Postby Jarbo03 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:32 pm

mudpack wrote:
Dep6 wrote:I have hunted NoDak and Canada with my Satin Citori and out of my boat many days, I have never really missed that 3rd shot ....

Interesting. I shoot autoloaders and have occasionally sorely missed having a 4th shot........
I don't use the third shot every time I shoot, but I use it enough to be glad I have it.

I always wanted another shot while hunting with my o/u, but at the end of the season, i realized i doubled as often as i did with my auto. It's the way we are wired, always want more.

I have had 3 cheap O/Us, all 3 failed me, as any cheap ones will do when used on a regular basis. After a couple years of looking, I found a FABARM mag lion on gunbroker, the difference in fit and quality is amazing. A new Win 101 can usually be had for $1000 new.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk
Jarbo03
hunter

Postby mudpack » Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:58 pm

Jarbo03 wrote:I always wanted another shot while hunting with my o/u, but at the end of the season, i realized i doubled as often as i did with my auto.
I don't doubt it.
But, I'll bet you don't triple as often as you did with the autoloader.................. :wink:
mudpack
hunter

Postby Jarbo03 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:13 pm

mudpack wrote:
Jarbo03 wrote:I always wanted another shot while hunting with my o/u, but at the end of the season, i realized i doubled as often as i did with my auto.
I don't doubt it.
But, I'll bet you don't triple as often as you did with the autoloader.................. :wink:

Very true.:mrgreen: I do average bout one triple a year though.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk
Jarbo03
hunter

Postby 10gaOkie » Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:41 pm

I hunt ducks and geese with my Yildiz SPZ-ME 12ga O/U. They sell for $429.99 at Academy Sports. You can check them out on their website and read veiws from Yildiz owners on Shotgun World under " I love my Yildiz". When I first bought mine, I also had a Beretta 686 and a Browning Citori. I liked the Yildiz well enough that I sold my two B guns. The Yildiz is the only O/U that I currently have. It has 3" chambers, single selective trigger and auto ejectors plus Briley choke tubes that it comes with. Briley does the service in the US on these. The Yildiz is made in Turkey but I have yet to find anything negative about it. I think its a wonderful gun. Mine is just as tight as new after several thousand rounds of skeet. I think this gun will fit your budget nicely and I know you wont find anything wrong or cheap about it. I normally dont need that third shot, so I dont miss it.

Chris
Last edited by 10gaOkie on Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
10gaOkie
hunter

Postby micneador » Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:15 pm

I use my matching pair citoris, 12 & 20. Both are straight stocks, for some reason I suck with standard stocks on o/u's.
the 12 is for dedicated goose shoots, the 20 is for everything else that flies and some that hop. Although I do get 4-5 boxes of Kent tungsten matrix in 20 for the geese/duck hunts on ponds.
Never hire a plumber to do a pipe layers job.
micneador
hunter

Postby mudpack » Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:02 am

10gaOkie wrote: Yildiz SPZ-ME 12ga O/U. They sell for $429.99 at Academy Sports...... you wont find anything wrong or cheap about it.
I can spot at least one cheap thing about it right off the bat.

10gaOkie wrote: I normally dont need that third shot, so I dont miss it.

About the third time you need it...you'll miss it.
mudpack
hunter

Postby slowshooter » Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:00 pm

I never take my sporting clay plug out of my urika. So I get the benefit of two shells in the gun just like an o/u. :lol3:
All this for a bowl of borscht.
slowshooter
hunter

Postby The Pas Swamp Donkey » Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:36 am

You can pick up a plain used gun and camo it up yourself . You really don't need 3.5" for anything (sorry , not meant to jack the thread). I use 2.75" for everything and shoot piles of birds. Easy to use in layouts and lighter loads with a lighter gun means quicker gun mount and swing.

I love using the doubles in the layouts for wary late season birds. You can get on them very quickly.

Little video from a day last season.

A GOOD PLUMBER DOESN'T BLAME HIS TOOLS
The Pas Swamp Donkey
hunter

Postby The Pas Swamp Donkey » Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:51 am

by mudpack » Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:19 pm
Dep6 wrote:
I have hunted NoDak and Canada with my Satin Citori and out of my boat many days, I have never really missed that 3rd shot ....

Saying that, I have taken 6 shots at the same flock of snows using my Browning Superposed and killed five snow geese , so knowing how to reload quickly, and having a good gun mount can compensate for the 3 shot autos (the hunt was in the fall). If the birds are decoying tight, you shoot the ones out at about 30 yds first, reload, then take the other birds as they backpedal out for the next two shots, and take the ones that have landed with the last two shots. I don't have that one on video, but I do have one of me taking 4 snow geese out of a single flock with a quick reload caught on film.

I've seen guys single load their semi autos to get 4 shots off, but rarely do they get five or six.
A GOOD PLUMBER DOESN'T BLAME HIS TOOLS
The Pas Swamp Donkey
hunter

Postby goosepit2007 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:29 pm

The Pas Swamp Donkey wrote:

by mudpack » Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:19 pm
Dep6 wrote:
I have hunted NoDak and Canada with my Satin Citori and out of my boat many days, I have never really missed that 3rd shot ....

Saying that, I have taken 6 shots at the same flock of snows using my Browning Superposed and killed five snow geese , so knowing how to reload quickly, and having a good gun mount can compensate for the 3 shot autos (the hunt was in the fall). If the birds are decoying tight, you shoot the ones out at about 30 yds first, reload, then take the other birds as they backpedal out for the next two shots, and take the ones that have landed with the last two shots. I don't have that one on video, but I do have one of me taking 4 snow geese out of a single flock with a quick reload caught on film.

I've seen guys single load their semi autos to get 4 shots off, but rarely do they get five or six.

right on the money here, i have one extra round in my hand that pulls the trigger no problem getting 3 shots off and get 3 birds when they are in close over the decoys!!
goose
goosepit2007
hunter

Postby mudpack » Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:13 am

The Pas Swamp Donkey wrote: I have taken 6 shots at the same flock of snows using my Browning Superposed ....

I could reload and take 8 shots at the same flock of ducks with my pump, but that flock might not hear the last two shots..... :biggrin:

(Taking shots should not be confused with taking effective shots.)

Normally, a hunter rarely has time to reload and take another bird after unloading his gun at the birds. It happens, occasionally, but not often. Generally, I can get off four shots with my plugged autoloader before you can get off four shots with your O/U. And I guarantee I can get off FIVE shots with my autoloader before you can get off five shots with your O/U. :thumbsup:
mudpack
hunter

Postby KRB » Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:26 am

mudpack wrote:
The Pas Swamp Donkey wrote: I have taken 6 shots at the same flock of snows using my Browning Superposed ....

I could reload and take 8 shots at the same flock of ducks with my pump, but that flock might not hear the last two shots..... :biggrin:

(Taking shots should not be confused with taking effective shots.)

Normally, a hunter rarely has time to reload and take another bird after unloading his gun at the birds. It happens, occasionally, but not often. Generally, I can get off four shots with my plugged autoloader before you can get off four shots with your O/U. And I guarantee I can get off FIVE shots with my autoloader before you can get off five shots with your O/U. :thumbsup:

I agree
KRB
hunter

Postby blackrock » Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:01 am

For me waterfowl hunting isn't all about firepower! If you have a nice OU and/or enjoy shooting one, by all means use it. I shoot a Citori Satin Hunter about half the time and a SBE2 or a 10 gauge Browning the rest of the time. There are days when I really enjoy hunting with it, and I just don't worry about not having a third shot. There's something satisfying about about those twin barrels, breaking it open, loading fresh and snapping it closed again......
blackrock
hunter

Postby mudpack » Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:03 pm

blackrock wrote: If you have a nice OU and/or enjoy shooting one, by all means use it. .... There's something satisfying about about those twin barrels, breaking it open, loading fresh and snapping it closed again......

Could not agree more. If you enjoy operating a nice doublegun, it's worth it.
mudpack
hunter

Postby KRB » Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:00 pm

I love stack barrels to, just not my choice for ducks.
KRB
hunter

Postby mudpack » Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:49 am

KRB wrote:I love stack barrels to, just not my choice for ducks.

+1. :thumbsup:
mudpack
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:41 am

I don't believe in using a Cheap Gun for a sport that I love doing ! With shooting the best load that I can buy/reload
along with the best gear and decoys I can afford , the one tool , that is the most important is a good quality shotgun .

I'll stay with the Big B guns and fill in with a Remington , if you have the desire to shoot just 2 shells , load only 2 ? :yes:
3200 man
hunter

Postby mudpack » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:55 am

3200 man wrote:I don't believe in using a Cheap Gun for a sport that I love doing ! With shooting the best load that I can buy/reload along with the best gear and decoys I can afford , the one tool , that is the most important is a good quality shotgun .
I'll stay with the Big B guns and fill in with a Remington , if you have the desire to shoot just 2 shells , load only 2 ? :yes:

I like the way you think, 3200 man.
mudpack
hunter

Postby RustyGunz1960 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:25 am

I've started leaving my pump home and taking the double out again after its 25 year retirement from waterfowling. As others have said, it's more about the experience for me than the firepower and body count as I get older. I can even have a great day out there without firing a shot. I'm now giving serious consideration to getting a muzzleloading fowler.
RustyGunz1960
hunter

Postby mdycrk » Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:20 pm

I bought a Cynergy a year and a half ago. Hunted with it the end of January and that was it 2 seasons ago. I was hesitant to pull it out for early teal season this year year with only 2 shots, so I took my Maxus. I regretted it after I pulled the trigger the first time. I had gotten so used to shooting that stack I couldn't hit a thing with the Maxus. I got out my Cynergy as quick as I could and the Maxus never left the safe again until this past weekend to turkey hunt. My gf lucked out and now has herself a new Maxus since I have no need for it anymore. :biggrin:

I don't think you can go wrong with the Cynergy. They shoulder great, shoot great and are an all around awesome gun. I was scared about the 2 shots versus 3 but it hasn't bothered me one bit. My shooting has improved knowing I only had 2 shots instead of 3 to be honest.
Cynergy.jpg
mdycrk
hunter

Postby micneador » Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:20 pm

mdycrk wrote:I bought a Cynergy a year and a half ago. Hunted with it the end of January and that was it 2 seasons ago. I was hesitant to pull it out for early teal season this year year with only 2 shots, so I took my Maxus. I regretted it after I pulled the trigger the first time. I had gotten so used to shooting that stack I couldn't hit a thing with the Maxus. I got out my Cynergy as quick as I could and the Maxus never left the safe again until this past weekend to turkey hunt. My gf lucked out and now has herself a new Maxus since I have no need for it anymore. :biggrin:

I don't think you can go wrong with the Cynergy. They shoulder great, shoot great and are an all around awesome gun. I was scared about the 2 shots versus 3 but it hasn't bothered me one bit. My shooting has improved knowing I only had 2 shots instead of 3 to be honest.
Cynergy.jpg

That will be my next O/U, been keep in an eye out for a used one.
Never hire a plumber to do a pipe layers job.
micneador
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Shotgun Forum