Stoeger M3500 vs. Benelli Super Black Eagle II

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Stoeger M3500 vs. Benelli Super Black Eagle II

Postby maestromatt » Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:58 pm

I'm in the process of deciding which of these too shotguns I should buy for a waterfowl gun as well as other areas of shotgunning. I know that most will say to just get the Super Black Eagle II, but I am on a budget. I could save for a few months and be able to get the Benelli, or I could save for a few more weeks or maybe a month and a half and be able to by the Stoeger.

Thoughts?

Thank you.
maestromatt
hunter

Re: Stoeger M3500 vs. Benelli Super Black Eagle II

Postby Rhock19 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:16 pm

Save a few months and have a gun that will last a lifetime. or save for a month and have a gun that will last half of a lifetime
Rhock19
hunter

Postby thomashamm2 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:36 pm

Rhock19 wrote:Save a few months and have a gun that will last a lifetime. or save for a month and have a gun that will last half of a lifetime

have u owned the stoeger? because it sound like you havent because any gun will last a lifetime if properly taken care of. Ive heard nothing but good things about the stoeger basically a benelli that cheaper and why wouldnt it last a lifetime?
thomashamm2
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:39 pm

The Franchi Intensity might be another one to check out. I haven't seen one in person yet but in the past the Franchi's always seemed a bit slimmer and nicer handling than the Stoegers. Kind of like a nice spot in-between the Stoeger and Benelli.
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby Rhock19 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:19 am

Owned a condor and p350 and never again. Condor misfired every shell i put in right outta the box, sent it back and they said "nothing is wrong with it." on the p350 a chunk blew out of the inside of my barrel about midway, nothing huge, about .25 in diameter but enough to make it unsafe. Since then, owned a benelli nova and sbe2, and have not looked back
Rhock19
hunter

Postby Jon Bergren » Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:46 am

Look at the yildiz auto at the Academy. They haven't had one problem here in Amarillo. They come with shims and four chokes. Only $400 in walnut. I'm going to buy a Yildiz pump for $240 in black plastic, $270 for walnut. Ned S
Jon Bergren
hunter

Postby Ukcatshunter » Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:10 am

I'd say get the 3500. But also look into the Franchi line as well.

Do you absolutely need the 3.5 chamber ?

The Beretta a300 and the franchi have 3" autos in the sub $850 ranges. A cool grand less than the SBE. That's a lot of shells, a few calls, waders etc....
Ukcatshunter
hunter

Postby z51 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:20 am

Just had a write up in the local paper about a DU snow goose hunt. They were all furnished Franchi Intensity guns and the report was most were single shots because the bolt wouldn't close completely on the second shell. More of the Benelli click issue.

Get a Winchester SX 3 3 1/2" gun and enjoy a soft shooting gas gun that works. Less than a Benneli too.
z51
hunter

Postby WMTribe_Kicker » Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:30 am

z51 wrote:Get a Winchester SX 3 3 1/2" gun and enjoy a soft shooting gas gun that works. Less than a Benneli too.

I'm a benelli man through and through. I believe in their reliability and their ability to kill birds, deer, etc. without a hitch. I also understand being on a budget, as I'm a college student. Personally, I have not been very impressed with the M3500, as my buddy that I hunt with uses one and tends to have a lot of problems with it. My girlfriends dad got a gently used SX3 for christmas, and all I can say about it is WOW! I'm very impressed with the quality of gun. If it fits YOU, I'd be all for it. But don't rush and just settle for a gun that isn't what YOU really want. If you want an H&R single shot because you shoot it the best, that's what you should get.

We're just here to let you know our experiences with certain firearms, but at the end of the day, you'll be the one that's pulling the trigger. Good luck with whatever you get, because trust me, buying a new gun can be stressful :thumbsup:
Marsh Mutt Pro Staff
Low Tide Waterfowlers
WMTribe_Kicker
hunter

Postby clymerfowler » Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:46 am

a buddy of mine has a stoeger 3500 and it will rock your world shooting heavy goose loads more than my beretta 3901 shooting the same 3" loads
Pigeons-231
Geese- 206
Ducks-37
clymerfowler
hunter

Postby MOSSBERG935 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:52 am

I have a 3500 and love it. I used it every day I hunted for two years now. No misfires or hangups. I hunt with a few people who have SBEII's and they have nothing but problems.

Their SBEII's have had several failure to fires. The other day one of them could only get one shell in the magazine. Eventually, it accepted two, but unknown why.

I wouldn't waste my money on a SBEII. Just my $.02.......
MOSSBERG935
hunter

Postby WMTribe_Kicker » Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:39 pm

You can't load anything into the magazine unless the rotating bolt is fully forward.
Marsh Mutt Pro Staff
Low Tide Waterfowlers
WMTribe_Kicker
hunter

Postby orphanedcowboy » Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:42 pm

z51 wrote:Just had a write up in the local paper about a DU snow goose hunt. They were all furnished Franchi Intensity guns and the report was most were single shots because the bolt wouldn't close completely on the second shell. More of the Benelli click issue.

Get a Winchester SX 3 3 1/2" gun and enjoy a soft shooting gas gun that works. Less than a Benneli too.

Got a link to the article?

Sent from my furloughed Obama phone!
NRA Life Member
orphanedcowboy
hunter

Postby fowlplayx » Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:45 pm

Both those guns are made by the same people and parts are made same way.. same company-! Someone correct me if im wrong but pretty sure ur saying what's better a Chevy or a gov ?
Fowl play! All day!
fowlplayx
hunter

Postby fowlplayx » Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:47 pm

Or gmc
Fowl play! All day!
fowlplayx
hunter

Postby Rhock19 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:19 pm

They are made in two separate countries, have different machined tolerances, and one has polished internals and chryogenically frozen barrels. different than chevy and gmc. gmc has more sound proofing and more standard accessories.
Rhock19
hunter

Postby maestromatt » Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:25 pm

WMTribe_Kicker wrote:
z51 wrote:Get a Winchester SX 3 3 1/2" gun and enjoy a soft shooting gas gun that works. Less than a Benneli too.

I'm a benelli man through and through. I believe in their reliability and their ability to kill birds, deer, etc. without a hitch. I also understand being on a budget, as I'm a college student. Personally, I have not been very impressed with the M3500, as my buddy that I hunt with uses one and tends to have a lot of problems with it. My girlfriends dad got a gently used SX3 for christmas, and all I can say about it is WOW! I'm very impressed with the quality of gun. If it fits YOU, I'd be all for it. But don't rush and just settle for a gun that isn't what YOU really want. If you want an H&R single shot because you shoot it the best, that's what you should get.

We're just here to let you know our experiences with certain firearms, but at the end of the day, you'll be the one that's pulling the trigger. Good luck with whatever you get, because trust me, buying a new gun can be stressful :thumbsup:

Thanks for the great advice :clapping:
maestromatt
hunter

Postby maestromatt » Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:27 pm

thank you everyone else as well. I think that the Stoeger is going to be the gun that wins this one for me because of quality for price, since I'm on a pretty tight budget. thank you all!
maestromatt
hunter

Postby winchester1852 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:44 pm

You would be better off too save your penny's then to buy a gun that might last.
if you can read this your almost as smart as a dolphin.
winchester1852
hunter

Postby MasonG » Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:10 pm

I have shot both guns and to me this isn't even a question. I shot my Uncle's m3500 several times. It did ok with the 3 1/2 inch shells but when I took it dove hunting one day with 2 3/4 inch shells and it didn't cycle one time. I shot a box and a half of shells and not once did I get a second shot off without working the action by hand. I was amazed that it didn't cycle even once. And this was in warm weather by the way. I just bought myself a SBE2 and love it. It cycles all shells just fine. I took it pheasant hunting in 20 degree weather with snow blowing and it was flawless with the 2 3/4 inch shells. IMO save your money and buy the SBE2.
MasonG
hunter

Postby Nelliboy2 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:20 pm

I'd save for an sbe2. If it fits you, you will be shooting it for years to come

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
The only thing worse than being blind is having sight with no vision- Helen Keller
Nelliboy2
hunter

Postby MIDTENNHTR » Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:34 pm

Both guns have a published minimum of an 1-1/8 oz load. Most people I've seen that have written about having cycling
issues out of these guns are shooting lighter than the published minimum loads. Beware of that when you see people on these
boards writing about their guns not cycling. I have a Stoeger M3000 and my partner next to me in the blind shoots an SBE2.
Pick one up and swing it and let your hands tell you which to buy. Last year Benelli lengthened the warranties on their Stoeger line
to match that of their Benelli line which is 5 years. For the price and length of the warranty you're getting a pretty good deal
on the Stoegers and most write ups that I've seen on the M3000/M3500 series have been positive. There's even a column on
the Brian Eno's forums about a guy using a M3000 in 3 gun competitions and running 1500 rounds through it in the first few months without a hangup. Don't be scared away by the price tags on the M3000 series of guns. I hope this helps in your search.

FWIW my buddy loves his SBE2 also.
MIDTENNHTR
hunter

Postby Nelliboy2 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:39 pm

MIDTENNHTR wrote:Both guns have a published minimum of an 1-1/8 oz load. Most people I've seen that have written about having cycling
issues out of these guns are shooting lighter than the published minimum loads. Beware of that when you see people on these
boards writing about their guns not cycling. I have a Stoeger M3000 and my partner next to me in the blind shoots an SBE2.
Pick one up and swing it and let your hands tell you which to buy. Last year Benelli lengthened the warranties on their Stoeger line
to match that of their Benelli line which is 5 years. For the price and length of the warranty you're getting a pretty good deal
on the Stoegers and most write ups that I've seen on the M3000/M3500 series have been positive. There's even a column on
the Brian Eno's forums about a guy using a M3000 in 3 gun competitions and running 1500 rounds through it in the first few months without a hangup. Don't be scared away by the price tags on the M3000 series of guns. I hope this helps in your search.

FWIW my buddy loves his SBE2 also.

Benellis now carry a 10 year warranty BTW.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
The only thing worse than being blind is having sight with no vision- Helen Keller
Nelliboy2
hunter

Postby hugger73hatch » Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:43 pm

I just got a M3500 this year and have only put about 100 rounds through it, but no problems so far. I also have a Remington 11-87 super mag premier and have had some problems with that over the years, but I have that resolved and that is a good gun too. So far I really like the stoeger. As far as the recoil it is a little heavy on the recoil, but if you put the recoil reducer in it it definitely helps. To me it also balances the gun better so I think it goes up really good with the weight in there. I don't think the recoil is unbearable....but I am used to shooting Winchester Supreme 3.5" 00 Buck through my Remington and for those who don't know about that shell...they are HOT...and got some giddy up.
hugger73hatch
hunter

Postby MasonG » Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:49 pm

I have shot 1 oz. shells through my sbe2 without hardly any trouble. I know the m3500 I shot would not cycle 1 oz shells at all. If you're only shooting 3 1/2 inch shells I think you'll be fine with either but if you're considering waiting, just wait and save and buy the sbe2.
MasonG
hunter

Next

Return to Shotgun Forum