Stoeger Condor Supreme

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Stoeger Condor Supreme

Postby Swamp Puppy » Thu Mar 03, 2005 4:56 pm

I am going to be aquiring a 20 ga Stoeger Condor Supreme O/U and was just curious what people's opinions were on the gun.

so, whaddya think?
Friends Don't Let Friends Shoot Mossbergs.
Swamp Puppy
hunter

Postby Greg Wile » Fri Mar 04, 2005 7:28 am

All I know about Stoeger guns is from years ago (1980 sumpthin) when a buddy of mine had a gun shop. I tried one of their side/sides out and it was hard kickin, but was a well put together utility gun at a low cost. Cann't say what the newer ones are like.

Keep takin those shooting lessons, I think they're helping cause your starting to get some tail feathers.
Greg Wile
hunter

Postby DUKHTR » Fri Mar 04, 2005 10:10 am

Just picked up a 20g last month...will get to shoot it soon, since crow season starts in ten days. Great utility gun IMO....the balance on the 20 is even better than my 12. I have 28" barrels on the 20 and 26" on the 12.....the wood is excellent, trigger pull crisp, bluing is very good and the wood to block fit is good. The only area of issue on the fit is underneath along the trigger guard....side and top is very good. The Supreme has the ejectors and a selective trigger as well as better wood than the base model. On either the checkering is shallow. They use the same choke tubes as Mossberg so you can get a variety of tubes you want for only $17.

Remeber...the gun is a third of the price of a Citori, Red-Label and other finer OU's....so do not expect the same level of finish...but for the price I do not think there is a better deal in OU's....and I have a couple of the higher end pieces....just don't want them banging around in a boat/blind or being p'd on by the dog etc.

Fausti has a gun out that you can get for a bit more than the Stoeger but I did not like the stock nor the overall 'feel'....same for the Bakail and the Bakail has a narrow forend...almost a schnabel shape. I also like the fact that Stoeger is part of the Benelli family of guns, rather than a smaller stateside distribution firm handling imports from Turkey or Russia. I know the Benelli family guns are imports....I just have more confidence in them.

I understood from a friend that the Stoegers were on sale at ****'s for under $400 recently...in NH.
DUKHTR
Forum & State Moderator

Postby gsphunter » Fri Mar 04, 2005 1:16 pm

There was 20 gauge Stoeger at ****'s for 329.99. I shouldered it and it just didn't feel good on my shoulder.
gsphunter
hunter

Postby Swamp Puppy » Sun Mar 06, 2005 10:33 am

DUKHTR wrote:Remeber...the gun is a third of the price of a Citori, Red-Label and other finer OU's....so do not expect the same level of finish...but for the price I do not think there is a better deal in OU's....and I have a couple of the higher end pieces....just don't want them banging around in a boat/blind or being p'd on by the dog etc.

no doubt on the price..i have a hard time thinking about spending 2k on a shotgun. this gun will get used and eventually handed down to my kids as they get old enough to shoot/hunt. so the "utility" is what i am after.
Swamp Puppy
hunter

Postby Greg Wile » Sun Mar 06, 2005 10:58 am

Have a look at some of the Russian built O/U (Universal Firearms) shot guns the prices on these aren't that bad and they are better looking/ feeling and operating than the Brazilian guns. Just my opinion.

Keep takin those shooting lessons, I think they're working cause your starting to get some tail feathers.

P.S. I own and use one of their s/s guns and like it way better than the Stoeger s/s that I tried out.
Greg Wile
hunter

Stoager o/u

Postby 2labs » Tue Mar 08, 2005 10:37 am

I own a stoager 20 ga ,bought it for my son ! The 26"" barrel not a 28, the 28 seemed awkward. We like it and have taken two gobblers,many ducks and geese with it. It shoots very nice Iplan on buying a 12ga this summer ,Ithink you will like shooting it , good luck!!
2labs
hunter

Postby huntmq1 » Wed Mar 09, 2005 12:38 am

I was glad to already see this topic of Stoegars on here. I am looking at a Stoegar Condor O/U 20 gauge chambered 3" with 26" barrels, slective trigger, all the normal stuff, used in great shape for $275.
Anyone here of the Eurpean IZH company? I was also looking at one of their O/U 20 gauges. Mod. 27, all the normal stuff: chromed lined barrels, slective trigger Etc.. for $449.
I know there are better and more expensive guns out there, saw a match pair today for $87,000 :eek: , but I just want a decent, well priced 20 gauge to shoot trap and skeet with my friends. The only person I need to impress is me. :mrgreen:
Hey, did you grab the blind bag with the shells when we left the truck?
Safetys, use them: If you can see red, you can get dead!
huntmq1
hunter

Postby Swamp Puppy » Wed Mar 09, 2005 10:29 am

i am picking up the gun this weekend. i was hoping to get out and pop a few clays with it, but don't think that will happen for a bit.

i'll post up what i think of it after i pick it up this weekend.
Swamp Puppy
hunter

Postby Swamp Puppy » Mon Mar 14, 2005 6:20 pm

ok, picked up the gun on sunday. i haven't fired a shot with it yet, but i already have a few complaints.

1) *** is up with these little notches in the choke tubes? yeah, i know..they denote the type of choke that you have. what..they can't print the type of choke it is on the side like everyone else? do blind people shoot these and they decided it would be more politically correct to use braile???

2) i noticed that it is very "tight" closing. i really need to close the breech hard or it hangs up. hopefully this is just a "break in" issue and works itself in over time.

3) 28inch barrel. don't get one. i knew what this was when i got it and actually thought i wanted one this way. it seems a bit nose heavy and the 26inch barrel would probably be the way to go. when it is up, it is fine..just the balance is off when i carry it or snap it up to shoulder.

well, probably just being picky because i haven't actually got to take it out and play with it yet...nothing to do but sit around and find things wrong with it. ha ha.
Swamp Puppy
hunter

Postby thaner » Tue Mar 15, 2005 12:45 pm

These guns are probably OK, but if it was me I would save some $ and get a nice used Browning or Ruger. Much nicer quality. The Browning is superior to any thing you’re looking at and the balance is way better. If you get it used it will still be worth the money you paid for it if you ever want to part with it. Could even be worth more in a few more years as the prices go up on them. You get what you pay for. Get a nice one and you will fall in love with it and so will your kids when they get it. If your looking for a swamper O/U I would probably go with the low buck models your looking at as they seam to be put tougher OK for the price. The only thing is you will just have a work horse O/U not a potential life time favorite gun.
More ammo! I need to shoot something!
thaner
hunter

Postby Swamp Puppy » Tue Mar 15, 2005 1:17 pm

no doubt the browning citori is a much nicer gun. i have owned them in fact. also, the ruger red label is another awesome piece of work. but i am not looking for a 2,000 dollar show piece that looks nice in the gun case or maybe out at the private gun club. this gun needs to "work"...and we work hard. there is no place for a "pretty" shotgun where we hunt...unless, that is, you have just won the lottery and you can afford to replace it every year or two.
Swamp Puppy
hunter

Postby Swamp Puppy » Wed Mar 23, 2005 4:12 pm

ok, looks like i'll be hitting the range on april 10th. going to shoot a 100 sporting clay course and 2 rounds of skeet. that should be a good test for the gun.

i'll post my thoughts when i get back.
Swamp Puppy
hunter

Postby thaner » Thu Mar 24, 2005 12:12 pm

:umm: Well, I don't know where you shop but I just picked up a $1250 Browning white lightning new in the box. :yes: I can usually pick up a good used Browning for under $1000. I just sold an excellent condition Ruger for a friend that had about 3 boxes of shells through it and it went for $750.00. As far as work, they will be working long after that stoger is done and you are in the grave along with your kids. Now in the day of $1000 + auto water foul guns those are bargains. As far as looking good in the gun case and on the private gun club goes mine hunt and hunt hard and I don't replace them every couple of years. Not only do they hunt hard but they break thousands of targets each year, year after year, more shells than most hunters shoot in a life time I shoot in a year. I could hunt them everyday for the rest of my life and pass them down a couple of generations and they will still be hunting hard and worth more then that stoger when it was new. If you really have ever owned a browning citori you would know all that. :umm:
More ammo! I need to shoot something!
thaner
hunter

Postby Swamp Puppy » Thu Mar 24, 2005 1:26 pm

actually, the 2,000 dollar gun i was referring to was a Ruger Red Label and the price is actually closer to 2,500. where i shop is at a place called "The Gun Room" here in portland. they sell "custom" shotguns. in other words, they take off the shelf guns and custom fit them to the buyers. included in that is some custom choke and trigger work and professional shooting instruction. as a result, they tend to be just a bit more expensive than you're average walmart gun.

as for the browining citori i owned, i picked it up used at a garage sale of all places for about 600 bucks back in 1987. it wasn't a bad gun..very nice. in fact, it was my first 12ga. that being said, i wouldn't take it the places i take my duck guns.

anyway, i won't debate the fact that there are a lot of nice expensive guns out there. maybe i'll post a pic of my collection some time. my point is that i am curious as to how this gun will hold up as an inexpensive workhorse that a person doesn't need to be afraid to trash.
Swamp Puppy
hunter

Postby had » Thu Mar 24, 2005 2:50 pm

my hunting partner bought a stoeger side by side. it is a 20 ga. with fixed chokes and double trigger.i think it is the lowest priced one.he bought it for hunting quail and dove. i was suprised at how nice it is. he is a very good shot with it. it looks like it will last for a long time.time will tell though, i guess one day it could just "fall apart" i wouldn't be suprised because of how much it cost. i doubt it will though it seems solid and good for him. he is mostly a duck hunter and didn't need much more for upland. those guns aren't the best but there is a place for them imo.
Last edited by had on Thu Mar 24, 2005 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This site is about having some fun, learning, helping others, and enjoying the commaradre' of other waterfowl hunters. And if you do not like those 4 things, then do not let the door hit you on the way out of here.
had
hunter

Postby ol' yeller » Thu Mar 24, 2005 6:18 pm

Another "value" O/U you need to check into the the Baikals. They are very well built guns for a good price.
ol' yeller
hunter

Postby Swamp Puppy » Thu Mar 24, 2005 6:23 pm

i'll look into them Yeller.

Had - i almost got the SxS. i am very fond of them as the first gun i went up to from my ol' single shot .410 was a SxS winchester 16ga. ( i still have that gun)

anyway, in a few days we'll see how it shoots. who knows. i may end up hating it. lol.
Swamp Puppy
hunter

Postby ol' yeller » Thu Mar 24, 2005 6:28 pm

SP, I had a brain fart there for a second. They are now being sold by Remington under their new Spartan line of guns. You may still be able to find them under the Baikal name for awhile until they sell out their stock of them. It'll probably save you a few bucks too if you can buy the Baikal instead of Spartan. It's the same gun, but Remington has jacked up the price a bit.
ol' yeller
hunter

Postby had » Thu Mar 24, 2005 6:37 pm

swamp puppy, that 16 ga. sounds sweet. i have always wanted a 16 sxs or a 16 ithica pump.
This site is about having some fun, learning, helping others, and enjoying the commaradre' of other waterfowl hunters. And if you do not like those 4 things, then do not let the door hit you on the way out of here.
had
hunter

Postby Swamp Puppy » Thu Mar 24, 2005 7:41 pm

Yeller - i have heard of the Spartan line from remington. i think i read an article on it recently. possibly in american hunter.

Had - yeah, i love that 16. i killed many many doves with it back when i lived down in your neck of the woods.
Swamp Puppy
hunter

Return to Shotgun Forum