weatherby SA-08

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

weatherby SA-08

Postby quigby979 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:17 am

I have been researching for a new all around gun and this one has been coming up alot. Especially for the cost. Does anyone else have any feedback? Would appreciate any advice, Thank you.
quigby979
hunter

Re: weatherby SA-08

Postby maestromatt » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:39 am

The only thing you would need to watch out for in the Weatherby is that it's not a guarantee that it will cycle every single load you need it to; no semi-auto under 1000$ really can.

If I were to recommend a proven semi under 1000$ that could cycle just about everything and comes in 3 1/2 inch instead of just 3", I'd go with the Stoeger M3500. Check it out, and weigh your options. It's all really about your preference.

http://www.stoegerindustries.com/m3500-shotgun
maestromatt
hunter

Postby MarkM » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:56 am

maestromatt wrote:The only thing you would need to watch out for in the Weatherby is that it's not a guarantee that it will cycle every single load you need it to; no semi-auto under 1000$ really can.

If I were to recommend a proven semi under 1000$ that could cycle just about everything and comes in 3 1/2 inch instead of just 3", I'd go with the Stoeger M3500. Check it out, and weigh your options. It's all really about your preference.

http://www.stoegerindustries.com/m3500-shotgun

What do you base that on, the fact that you bought a Stoeger 3500 instead of a Weatherby SA-08? I just checked your 8 posts and notice that you were originally going for a SA-08, but changed your mind for the 3.5" option in a 3500.

If you change out the pistons in it, it will cycle loads just fine.
possumfoot wrote:i cant remember who said it, but they said it best.. to a grown man, watching child birth is like a 9yo watching disney land burn to the ground..

Locked&Loaded wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:...metrosexual....

:lol3: I am!
MarkM
hunter

Postby quigby979 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:01 am

Thanks maestromatt, that is another gun below $1000 that keeps popping up. I did get some feedback that the 3500 also has trouble cycling the low base rounds. I am no gun guru but I have noticed that sometimes its not the gun but the ammunition is actually the culprit. This past season I was shooting Kent Fasteel in 3.5 and it was hanging up from my Remington Pump. I won a tristar Raptor at a DU event and the same rounds hung up on occasion from that gun. Once I stopped using that round it never happened again.
quigby979
hunter

Postby z51 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:45 pm

I have hunted with a SA-08 Waterfowler 3.0 for three years now. I shot 128 good ducks with it this year and never shot my 11-87 or A303 at all. I would recommend it to anyone. It comes with two piston s, light and heavy. I have never used the light piston. It will shoot light loads if you need that capability.
I hate it when people review guns they have never owned or shot. Their advice is less than worthless.

The SA-08 is a solid all around field gun. I had one FTF all season under tough conditions. Highly recommend.
z51
hunter

Postby quigby979 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:14 pm

Thanks z51, that's what I was looking for was first hand experience. I have read reviews, held the gun, talked to others and all and all sounds like a solid gun, especially below $1000. Weatherby has a long history of quality guns. I am old school and stubborn about paying the big bucks. Thanks for the info.
quigby979
hunter

Postby steelshotshooter » Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:53 am

My wife shoots a Weatherby SA-08 20 ga. and between her and a couple of friends, it has a couple thousand rounds through it and so far, it has "0" problems!

I bought a synthetic stocked Weatherby SA-08 12 ga. not too long ago, and between the clay pigeons and starling, I've got close to a thousand rounds through mine, and so far, "0" problems...

My wife and I both have the "heavy" piston installed on our guns. The 20 ga. gets a fed a lot of 2 3/4" 1 oz. lead loads and a few 3" 7/8 oz. steel loads. Since I got my gun at the end of duck season, I have shot a lot of the 1 1/8 oz. Longshot high velocity lead loads and a few steel loads for patterns...

Our biggest rave about these Weatherby SA-08 shotguns is the "seemingly" reduced felt recoil. Even though my 12 ga. is about 2 lbs. than my 11/87, the felt recoil from the Weatherby seems considerably less and is more comfortable to shoot....
By HIS stripes, we are healed...
steelshotshooter
hunter

weatherby SA-08

Postby Frylock » Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:16 am

Based on a lot of positive feedback about the Weatherby my hunting partner bought a SA-08 twenty gauge this past fall. She has had one recurring issue with her gun however, namely the bolt not traveling rearward smoothly or without a fair a mouth of force applied. We'll have the problem addressed this spring. It appears to be a well enough made gun and the price is hard to beat.
Frylock
hunter

Return to Shotgun Forum