10 GA. VS 12 GA.

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

10 GA. VS 12 GA.

Postby duckweed » Fri Mar 04, 2005 8:37 pm

hey guys i was just wondering how much more does a 10 ga. kick than a 12 ga.? i would like to know because i am going to buy a new duck and goose gun and would like to know what the best gauge and model is? any pointer would help a lot.
BUY A GUN, PISS OFF A LIBERAL!
duckweed
hunter

Postby Ducksbeus » Sat Mar 05, 2005 9:18 pm

I had a 10 gauge BPS...The gun is heavy, but, kills em dead. The recoil was not bad at all, due to the wieght of the gun. Ive got a Nova, it will stiff ya right up when shooting 3.5". The Nova is probably 3 pounds lighter, and will smack ya good. Shot it at snows the last 3 days and my shoulder looks like somebody did the Hillbilly Stomp on it. The Nova kills em dead as well. Your check book will probably play a part in your choice. I got my Nova at Bass Pro Shops for $199+tax and $10 background check during the Fall Sale. It has paid for itself in one season. If it breaks....throw it away and buy a new one. It will chamber, fire, and shuck any shell ya put in it. More versatile than a 10 in my opinion. Shoulder a few...then decide. Y'all have a nice day!

:salude: :hammering: :salude: :hammering: :salude: :hammering:
"You get what you put in, and people get what they deserve" Hank Jr. and Kid Rock
Ducksbeus
hunter

Postby duckdog » Sat Mar 05, 2005 9:44 pm

10 gauge's are nice for geese but with 3 1/2" 12 gauges out now, I would recommend getting the 12. Shell's are cheaper, and easier to find. Also you don't have to shoot your ten gauge at teal in september that way
Any day in the outdoor's is better than at work
duckdog
hunter

Postby duckbuster » Sun Mar 06, 2005 11:19 am

there nice guns for geese i even shot mine for ducks and out of all the ducks i shot i only mutalated one. has less kick than a nova with 3 1/2's
Just making my way the only way i know how!
duckbuster
hunter

Postby Swamp Puppy » Sun Mar 06, 2005 1:29 pm

for me i would go with a 12ga no question. The gun is much lighter to carry and the shot payload and velocity is very similiar. 12 ga ammo is easier to find, usually cheaper, and personally i don't think my Nova with 3.5" shells kicks that hard.

10ga's aren't bad guns..i just think that their time is slowly coming to a close. I haven't done a comparison personally, but i would wager a bet that if you priced out your 10ga steel ammo and compared that to what you could find for similar prices in higer velocity 12ga steel (remember...speed kills) or even the denser non-tox loads like Tugnsten-Iron or Heavi-Shot..you would find that for similiar $$$ you can get ballistically superior ammo for a 12ga and may not even be able to find 10ga stuff locally.

something to look into if you are serious about a 10ga.
Friends Don't Let Friends Shoot Mossbergs.
Swamp Puppy
hunter

Postby had » Sun Mar 06, 2005 3:45 pm

swamp puppy wrote:
and personally i don't think my Nova with 3.5" shells kicks that hard.

i was thinking the same thing.
This site is about having some fun, learning, helping others, and enjoying the commaradre' of other waterfowl hunters. And if you do not like those 4 things, then do not let the door hit you on the way out of here.
had
hunter

Postby tengoose1 » Sun Mar 06, 2005 9:07 pm

you guys are right about payload and velocity being close or to the same the only thing you are forgetting is that you a shorter shot string and larger bore diameter wich means that unless you are shooting straight on incoming shots your pellets wont all be there at the same time even with a wad stripper choke out of the 12 gauge wich means that on a crossing shot you will hit the bird more or less all at once with the 10 and the larger bore is much more accomodating to those finicky steel pellets that dont like to be squeezed through the choke dont get me wrong the 3.5 12 is a excellent gun but i have both guns and i dont even shoot the 12 at waterfowl the ten in my book seems to be much more lethal from what i have seen if you are wanting one gun then the 3.5 12 is the way to go but if you want a real performer than get a 10 gauge as far as everyone saying you have to get used to the gun and switching guns can mess with you i have shot geese and doves the same day with both guns and not had a bit of problems as far a price goes if you are buying factory shells they are pretty much the same price as far as reloading you are not going to save any money with the 10 if you are shooting high performance shells, with the 12 i am not sure cause i dont load for it.now for the price of the guns that is a big difference the 12 has a lot more manufacturers or however you spell it so you are naturally going to get more competitive prices how many people would buy the 10 if you could get either gun for the same price no matter what the brand. as far as the ten becoming obsolete it is here to stay now back to recoil my opinion is that if you are worried about recoil dont shoot either 3.5 gun if you cant take the pain dont pull the trigger you will end up flinching more times than not you should see the look on peoples faces when i start puffin clays with my 10 ga i would recommend finding someone that has a gun that your interested in and go shoot it with the biggest shells you think that you will shoot and see if it bothers you auto's always kick less than pumps and their are some good aftermarket recoil pads that can help all in all that is my 2 cents and i hope a have ruffled somebodys feathers :toofunny: just kidding!!!! dont knock it until you try it
tengoose1
hunter

Postby Swamp Puppy » Sun Mar 06, 2005 9:57 pm

Good Post..and Good point about the bore sizes on the 12ga. Currently, the only gun i know in a 12ga that could contend with that argument is the Mossberg 835 UltiMag which offers an "overbored" barrel that is actually comparable to a 10ga diameter. This was done specifically for the reasons stated above when comparing the 10 vs the 12.

tengoose1 makes another good point about recoil. if recoil is an issue for you then you probably don't want to consider the 10 OR the 12ga 3.5" guns.

You won't find me knocking the 10ga as an awsome piece of firepower. My reasons for favoring the 12 are ones of simplicity and ease of use. by all means..if you feel that a 10 is the gun for you, then do it.
Friends Don't Let Friends Shoot Mossbergs.
Swamp Puppy
hunter

Postby had » Sun Mar 06, 2005 10:39 pm

good post 10goose.
10goose wrote:
forgetting is that you a shorter shot string and larger bore diameter wich means that unless you are shooting straight on incoming shots your pellets wont all be there at the same time

the 10 vs 12 thing is on every forum like 20 times a year and this is the first time i have heard that. a good point. i still favor the 12 for versatility but i am not "against" the 10. some day i'll prob. buy one. but for now i got my nova, i shoot 3in for ducks and 3.5 for geese works great for me.
This site is about having some fun, learning, helping others, and enjoying the commaradre' of other waterfowl hunters. And if you do not like those 4 things, then do not let the door hit you on the way out of here.
had
hunter

Postby hamernhonkers » Mon Mar 07, 2005 11:35 am

Great point 10goose1

Here is a couple of other issues to compare. When firing steel thorough a 12 gauge you need to remember not to use shot larger then a T size. If you use larger shot you run the risk of bridging the pellets in the boar. If this happens it is possible but rare, you could scour the barrel, ruin you choke tube and in extreme cases blow the barrel apart. With the larger bore of the 10 this is not a factor. I personally like to use the larger pellets to ensure that if I pull the trigger on a 40 or 50 yard goose it hits the ground it is dead!

Another factor in trying to duplicate the capacity of the 10 you also increase the recoil. I just received a new comprehensive reloading book which covers all gauges and types of shot for reloading. When it comes to reloading steel which most of us use. On average it requires 1000 more psi for the 12 31/2" shell to produce the speed and capacity of the 10 gauge. If you figure this into the fact that 12 gauges usually weigh 3 to 5 lbs less on average than a 10 gauge and take 1000 or more psi to produce the same ballistics and shot weight. Then the 12 is going to have a lot more felt recoil.

Last just a thought I read in the manual and it makes sense to me.

Due to the operating constraints of the 12 gauge bore diameter, payloads in the 31/2 12 gauge sit higher than within the larger diameter on a 10 gauge, like a narrow tall glass of water next to a short wide one. If you start filling those glasses up with marbles the same number of marbles will rest in a pattern that is higher and narrower. For this reason, loads should be lighter than those in 10 gauge and they should utilize smaller pellets in order to deliver comparable patterns.

Sorry to break off of the original question but as it is all gauges do have a place and a purpose. Some are just more specialized than others.
hamernhonkers
hunter

Return to Shotgun Forum