SX3 vs Franchi Affinity

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

SX3 vs Franchi Affinity

Postby steelbull85 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:04 am

Anyone shot/owned either/both of these guns? Any preference? Looks like the Franchi Affinity is less expensive than the SX3, not sure if that correlates to performance or not.

Right now I'm thinking about getting an SX3 but I have heard great things about the Affinity.
steelbull85
hunter

Re: SX3 vs Franchi Affinity

Postby orphanedcowboy » Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:00 pm

I have had both. I still have the SX3 20ga, but sold the 12ga. The Affinity is easier to clean, runs longer before needing to be cleaned and is lighter.

The SX3 will pattern most loads better do to the over bored barrel.

The drawback is the Affinity is only available in synthetic right now.

You can't go wrong with either one.

Sent from my furloughed Obama phone!
NRA Life Member
orphanedcowboy
hunter

Postby DuckManClyde » Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:31 pm

http://www.franchi.com/en/products/semi ... inity-wood

It does come in wood. But its not shown on franchi usas website.
If offended, and or irritated with the above post, please refer to my caring face :hi:
DuckManClyde
hunter

Postby orphanedcowboy » Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:49 pm

You cannot get the wood version in the USA, they refuse to import it or say if it will ever be imported.

NRA Life Member
orphanedcowboy
hunter

Postby mawtrfowler » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:25 am

I prefer inertia guns over any gas system because for the most part they're lighter, simpler and more reliable. I also prefer the way the Affinity feels in the hand and points over the SX3. I had checked out the SX3 when I was looking for a new shotgun and ended up going with a Vinci because I didn't like the feel or fit of the SX3. My father recently picked up an Affinity and loves it, very light, good fit and finish, and reliable.
mawtrfowler
hunter

Postby z51 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:28 pm

The SX 3 is a fine soft shooting full featured gas auto. The Affinity is Beretta/Benellis' low end inertia gun. Go with the SX 3 you will be glad you did long after you have forgotten the price difference.
z51
hunter

Postby doubletheshovel » Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:45 pm

I am look at the affinity as well seems to have good reviews. Also I would say the affinity is the middle range inertia driven gun from benelli since they have the Stoeger M3500 which is made in Turkey and not Italy.
Everyday I'm Shovelin'
doubletheshovel
hunter

Postby mudpack » Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:31 pm

z51 wrote:The SX 3 is a fine soft shooting full featured gas auto. The Affinity is Beretta/Benellis' low end inertia gun. Go with the SX 3 you will be glad you did long after you have forgotten the price difference.

All correct except for one part: the Affinity is not made by Beretta or Benelli. It is made by a company that is owned by Beretta Holdings: that would be Franchi.
Since I am not a believer in entry-level shotguns (even for people just entering the world of hunting), I'd say go with the SX3.
mudpack
hunter

Postby DuckManClyde » Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:06 pm

mudpack wrote:
z51 wrote:The SX 3 is a fine soft shooting full featured gas auto. The Affinity is Beretta/Benellis' low end inertia gun. Go with the SX 3 you will be glad you did long after you have forgotten the price difference.

All correct except for one part: the Affinity is not made by Beretta or Benelli. It is made by a company that is owned by Beretta Holdings: that would be Franchi.
Since I am not a believer in entry-level shotguns (even for people just entering the world of hunting), I'd say go with the SX3.

Wouldnt stoegers m series be the low end? Or are we counting stoeger out just bc its not italian?
If offended, and or irritated with the above post, please refer to my caring face :hi:
DuckManClyde
hunter

Postby uglymug » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:46 pm

Pretty sure franchis are made right along side benellis in their urbino facility.
uglymug
hunter

Postby mudpack » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:06 am

uglymug wrote:Pretty sure franchis are made right along side benellis in their urbino facility.

I've heard that before, but don't know where it originated (probably by someone with a good imagination on a forum). I've looked at the Franchi and the Beretta Holdings websites to see if they claim this, and I couldn't find any statements to that effect.

What does "made right along side Benelli's" actually mean; does it mean that a Franchi gun and a Benelli gun travel down one assembly line side-by-side? Or, that there are two parallel assembly lines in the same building, one carrying Franchi and one carrying Benelli, each staffed by their own assemblers? Or, that the components of both brands are made at the same foundry/machine house/stamping house/plastics molder/woodworking house? Maybe the the Franchi facility is right across the street from the Benelli facility? Who knows, since the statement really is meaningless.

Both Franchi and Beretta Holdings state that Franchi is a separate company that is owned by Beretta Holdings. Just like Steiner is a separate company owned by BH. Are Steiner binoculars and Burris scopes and Laser Devices products and Franchi guns and Benelli guns and Beretta guns and Beretta sporting wear ALL made side by side?? I doubt if any of them are made by the same people; they are all different companies making different products, having the same owner.

Get the SX3.
mudpack
hunter

Postby orphanedcowboy » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:18 am

All 4 of the Affinity's we have say Benelli right in them.

I wouldn't call them low end. I'd put them up against any autoloader on the market. What is the warranty on the Winchester?

Like Winchester and Browning and FN, but different?

NRA Life Member
orphanedcowboy
hunter

Postby z51 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:32 am

mudpack wrote:

I didn't say it was made by Beretta or Benelli, to point out that they are all part of the same holding company is a distinction without a difference. Franchi is a tiny piece of that company, and Beretta calls the shots. The point is, it is their low end or entry level gun if you prefer. I would prefer one over a Steoger but not over the SX3. However, I am not a big fan of recoil operated guns no matter the price.
z51
hunter

Postby DuckManClyde » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:40 am

orphanedcowboy wrote:All 4 of the Affinity's we have say Benelli right in them.

I wouldn't call them low end. I'd put them up against any autoloader on the market. What is the warranty on the Winchester?

Like Winchester and Browning and FN, but different?

hahah most companies dont even offer a warranty any more. Its all "we stand behind our products without a written warranty" benelli/beretta has a 10 year( OUTSTANDING BTW) franchi has a 7 ( still great ) and hell EVEN STOEGER has a 5 year! I talked to a guy at benelli about a franchi, he said they'l fix anything as long as it doesnt come with a "I backed over it with a truck" story....Now you can save yourself 200$ and still have great warranty service if anything did happen.

My vote goes Franchi.
DuckManClyde
hunter

Postby mudpack » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:42 am

z51 wrote:
z51 wrote: The Affinity is Beretta/Benellis' low end inertia gun..

I didn't say it was made by Beretta or Benelli,

My apologies, I must have misinterpreted your first statement.
Last edited by mudpack on Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
mudpack
hunter

Postby z51 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:47 am

Beretta and it's affiliates have probably the worst customer service record of any major gun company. If you want a quality gun for little money and GREAT customer service get a Weatherby SA-08.

There is a huge difference between a stated warranty and true customer service.
z51
hunter

Postby mudpack » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:54 am

z51 wrote:Beretta and it's affiliates have probably the worst customer service record of any major gun company.

That may be true, I wouldn't know; I've owned Beretta shotguns since 2004 and have never needed their customer service.....
mudpack
hunter

Postby JRZDUCKSTER » Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:56 am

I purchased the Win SX3 Waterfowl in early January 2014. Love the gun, the fit, the poiting ability, swing and operation. Tried out many of the waterfowl guns at the gun shop you've all mentioned in your posts. Shouldered them, swing, point with eyes closed to see how gun comes up to the eye, etc. Tried 'em all. The SX3 fit ME the best and has an excellent reputation from the earlier SX2 shooters/owners.

I'd recommend the Win. SX3 in a heartbeat and never regret it. I'm still working on the patterning of the gun with choke and load combinations, but as of late, the Carslon's mid range and long range chokes are doing well with Black Cloud loads and Kent Fasteel loads. Winchester's customer service is good and they back the gun. Nuff said!
JRZDUCKSTER
hunter

Postby mawtrfowler » Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:35 am

Franchi's definitely aren't entry level shotguns. The lowest price gun they make is the Affinity at $849, low priced for a quality semi but not entry level. They're also all made in Italy which I'll take an Italian shotgun over one made here or anywhere else.
mawtrfowler
hunter

Postby hudson river drake » Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:02 pm

I would say the sx3 they are the same internals as the sx2 just different styling. I have a sx2 and you couldn't kill it shoots everything and patterns good. best combo load/choke ive found is kent 3.5' 2's with a briley im or full. Remington hypersonic 2s patterns good with the full
hudson river drake
hunter

Postby KRB » Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:50 pm

Can't speak for the SX3 as I have never shot one. My brother and two friends have the affinity and it is a solid reliable gun. I liked it enough that I will get the 20ga for grouse (patridge to new Englander's) and woodcock.
KRB
hunter

Postby mudpack » Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:30 am

mawtrfowler wrote:Franchi's definitely aren't entry level shotguns. The lowest price gun they make is the Affinity at $849, low priced for a quality semi but not entry level.

Street price on the Affinity is $699 (Academy Sports). That makes it a pricey entry-level gun, or low-mid-range gun....take your pick. (check out street prices on a new A400 or SBE)
Either way, I can't say you're wrong....it's more a question of semantics. How about we're both right? :thumbsup:
mudpack
hunter

Postby Yuchi1 » Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:53 am

steelbull85 wrote:Anyone shot/owned either/both of these guns? Any preference? Looks like the Franchi Affinity is less expensive than the SX3, not sure if that correlates to performance or not.

Right now I'm thinking about getting an SX3 but I have heard great things about the Affinity.

When I bought a Franchi 912 (3 1/2" chambered 12 ga.) it took the third barrel (factory replacements) on it to get one with the choke tubes cut straight in it.

I've had both SX2 & SX3 models and from a felt recoil aspect, they will "kick" you less than the inertia gun and don't allow anyone to try and convince you felt recoil is not a factor (unconsciously, or otherwise) in wingshooting success.

From a overall QC rating, the SX3 gets the higher marks.
Sent from my Sumerian tablets

Does the number of bands claimed simply mean you have an Ebay account?

FSH Pro Staffer

High Potentate, NSSB (no spinning shotcup brotherhood)
Yuchi1
hunter

Postby KRB » Sat Mar 01, 2014 3:52 pm

My friend had an SX3 had problems, sent it back, had more problems and got rid of it. Gunsmith at our range did not think to highly of them. But said they keep him busy.
KRB
hunter

Postby waterfowler4444 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:42 am

Yesterday I actually went shopping with the intension of picking up an sx3....and came home with a franchi intensity...same price I will take the inertia over gas any day...I'm not an expert but was told that the guts are the same as far as the action in the franchi and benelli, it says benelli right on the box...I was told the franchis are less expensive because they don'y have all the recoil reducing technologies in the stock like the sbe and all the other bells and whistles...haven't had a chance to shoot it yet bu definitely looking forward to it...
waterfowler4444
hunter

Next

Return to Shotgun Forum