Beretta Extrema 2 Ghost Load

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Re: Beretta Extrema 2 Ghost Load

Postby mawtrfowler » Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:45 am

Based on the wording of the law which says capacity to hold more than 3 rounds, If you can readily ghostload your gun it has the capacity to hold 4 shells, which would be more than 3. If a game warden can easily get 4 shells in your gun then he can definitely ticket you. Not saying most will, but they can if they so choose.
mawtrfowler
hunter

Postby MSparks909 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:39 am

Hunting buddy has an Xtrema 2. He can and does float a 4th shell. I have an A400 Xtreme. I can and do float a 4th shell.
MSparks909
hunter

Postby wraithen » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:45 am

MSparks909 wrote:Hunting buddy has an Xtrema 2. He can and does float a 4th shell. I have an A400 Xtreme. I can and do float a 4th shell.

Im assuming when you say this you mean can and do float a shell. If the firearm is routinely used by floating a shell then the magazine should be plugged to only allow a single shell while waterfowling.
Education is important, but common sense is importanter ~ tknight006
wraithen
hunter

Postby dog walker » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:14 am

I've got a couple of guns that float the fourth, I've never been ticketed in the 3 states and 16 years I've hunted with them. I've never had a game warden take my gun and try to float a fourth shell in it :huh:

It's a non issue for me and the other tens of thousands that have been sold and used to hunt waterfowl.

Now where it becomes an issue is if they have you under surveillance and they hear you and/or film you shooting 4 rounds.
dog walker
hunter

Postby cannon » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:41 pm

Browning silver
Winchester sx2/sx3
Versa max
Extrema2
Super black eagle, early models
I'm sure lots of others.

BTW, floating a 4th on the SX3 won't unlock the charge handle. That only happens with the gold, because of the speed load function. SX3 employs the same bolt & charge handle the SX2 used. Because the carrier systems on Brownings and Winchesters are not designed to handle a shell on the carrier at the time the bolt cycle is initiated, doing so can cause damage to the carrier system.

Can be handy when jump-shooting C/O light geese. If you want to float a ghost round, I say enjoy. If you get caught during regular waterfowl season, you will, most likely, receive a citation. If you don't, you will, most likely, use more shells.
Smell that? Smells like sumthin died in here.
cannon
hunter

Location: At the stop sign in the ditch at Byers Farm, unlocking the gate.

Postby clymerfowler » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:37 am

so does that make my sbe2 illegal even tho it is pulled for 3 3 1/2 inch rounds but will hold 3 2 3/4 shells in the tube?
Pigeons-231
Geese- 172
clymerfowler
hunter

Postby mudpack » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:43 am

clymerfowler wrote:so does that make my sbe2 illegal even tho it is pulled for 3 3 1/2 inch rounds but will hold 3 2 3/4 shells in the tube?

If it will hold three 2 3/4" shells in the magazine, it is not legal during the regular waterfowl season.

My SX3 uses a bolt exactly like the bolt in my Golds. This may be similar to the SX2, I don't know. I do know that both my Golds and my SX3 have speed load. My conclusion is that both the Gold and the SX3 can experience the loss of a bolt handle if a shell is riding on the carrier. My Gold has.
Last edited by mudpack on Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
mudpack
hunter

Postby clymerfowler » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:49 am

so basicly im only allowed 2 3 1/2 since if i can hold 3 3 1/2s i can hold 4 2 3/4 hells
Pigeons-231
Geese- 172
clymerfowler
hunter

Postby mudpack » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:51 am

clymerfowler wrote:so basicly im only allowed 2 3 1/2 since if i can hold 3 3 1/2s i can hold 4 2 3/4 hells

Basically, you need to put a longer plug in your gun so it will only hold two shells....of any length....in the magazine.
There is a length of plug that will allow your gun's magazine to hold two shells, and only two shells, of any length.
mudpack
hunter

Postby no3topqb » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:38 am

[quote="mudpack"

My SX3 uses a bolt exactly like the bolt in my Golds. This may be similar to the SX2, I don't know. I do know that both my Golds and my SX3 have speed load. My conclusion is that both the Gold and the SX3 can experience the loss of a bolt handle if a shell is riding on the carrier. My Gold has.[/quote]

I didn't know the sx3 had the speed load feature...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
no3topqb
hunter

Postby mudpack » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:31 pm

no3topqb wrote:I didn't know the sx3 had the speed load feature...

I didn't either, until I tried it.

It's a field model, 20 gauge...but it has the steel-gray receiver and barrel of the Sporting 12 gauge model and the wood, especially the forearm, is far better than any field grade gun I've ever seen. Maybe it's "special"....... :wink:
mudpack
hunter

Postby no3topqb » Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:33 pm

It must be. I have a 12 ga with a 3.5". The waterfowl model and it doesn't have it...

no3topqb
hunter

Postby mudpack » Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:28 pm

no3topqb wrote:It must be. I have a 12 ga with a 3.5". The waterfowl model and it doesn't have it...

Have you tried to "speed-load" your 12 ga?? My 12 ga waterfowl Gold speed-loads, and the Gold is the same gun as the SX3.
mudpack
hunter

Postby no3topqb » Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:05 pm

Honestly, no... I actually wouldn't know how.

no3topqb
hunter

Postby cannon » Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:45 pm

mudpack wrote:
no3topqb wrote:It must be. I have a 12 ga with a 3.5". The waterfowl model and it doesn't have it...

Have you tried to "speed-load" your 12 ga?? My 12 ga waterfowl Gold speed-loads, and the Gold is the same gun as the SX3.

No. SX3 is the same as the Silver, on the inside. I've got a 20 gauge silver that has the speed load function as well. The sx3 has a different bolt, different operating sleeve, and slightly different carrier than the 12 ga gold. My 12 gauge SX3 didn't have the speed load function. That's why I said it wouldn't release the charge handle, as I assumed you were referring to the 12 gauge model.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Smell that? Smells like sumthin died in here.
cannon
hunter

Location: At the stop sign in the ditch at Byers Farm, unlocking the gate.

Postby no3topqb » Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:41 pm

I didn't think so. My sx2 could float one, so can my sx3. My versamax could too.

no3topqb
hunter

Postby Yuchi1 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:19 pm

Everyone that is an advocate of floating the fourth during regular waterfowl season...simply post up your hunting license number & state...if you feel it's perfectly OK to float the fourth, you should have no problem in being man enough to tell everyone?
Sent from my Sumerian tablets

Does the number of bands claimed simply mean you have an Ebay account?

FSH Pro Staffer

High Potentate, NSSB (no spinning shotcup brotherhood)
Yuchi1
hunter

Postby mudpack » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:17 pm

mudpack wrote: the Gold is the same gun as the (20 ga.) SX3.

fixed it.
mudpack
hunter

Postby YadkinYeti » Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:37 pm

I am very late on this post but I have a SBE 1 and an Extrema2 and yes they will both float the 4th. I haven't ever done so duck hunting I have when shooting skeet. As far as being illegal that isn't correct both of mine are like they came from the factory. It is easy enough to do once you figure it out but it does take a little time to learn to get the 4th in. It isn't worth the time trying to get it in especially if you are hunting. You will be too busy trying to get the 4th in instead of shooting ducks.
YadkinYeti
hunter

Postby possumfoot » Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:36 am

surfrat wrote:Original H & K Super Black Eagle will float a fourth with no mods....Very simple mod for SBE 2 or newer SBE or even a m2 and many other autos. Some guys do it by filling in one of the notches on bottom of bolt with JB Weld. It will fall out so it has to be redone from time to time. Any gunsmith should be able to do a mod that will last. I am not sure if wardens are aware of the mods or not. I don't think they could write you unless you handed them your gun with four in it. Otherwise I don't think you could be written a ticket because It only has three and the plug is in it... I have an Original SBE and a new one but I would never think of putting a fourth in myself. :no:...Just another reason that a Benelli is the CHIT.

wrong.. they can and will write you if the gun is modified to hold 4 shells.
WTN10 wrote:He was funny like a Pomeranian getting kicked over a fence.

pgquackstacker wrote:I actually started bringing a gun with me on dates, so I bring the girl's father out to my car and tell him if he tries to cock-block me I'll kill him.
possumfoot
hunter

Postby possumfoot » Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:45 am

TNDuckBoy wrote:The only way I would get a ticket is if I was caught with 4 shells in my gun. I am not going to do that for waterfowl and never will but as long as I dont have a 4th shell in the chamber I should be legal. I also dont even have the gun so to some of you guys trying to tell me I am going to be given a ticket, :fingerpt:

for the love of God don't listen to some of the people on here.. if you have a gun that floats from the factory and you can still put 2 rounds in the mag., by the law, that is not legal as you will be able to shoot 4 shells. they let this go. the modifications show intent and they will not let this go.. looks up the paducah shooters gunsmithing incident.

it happens every couple years here very locally that someone gets caught with a mod while even though not floating, they are out a 1600+ dollar gun. i have had my benelli checked 2 times for this specificly.

pgquackstacker wrote:I actually started bringing a gun with me on dates, so I bring the girl's father out to my car and tell him if he tries to cock-block me I'll kill him.
possumfoot
hunter

Postby possumfoot » Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:53 am

read up suckers.. this is the incident that got it all started.. i'll try to find the actual story, but this should suffice.. read slowly

http://refugeforums.com/refuge/showthre ... h+shooters

edit.. here ya go.. argue all ya want, but this is how it is.

HELPFUL TOOLS
Email Story
Print Story
Bookmark & Share

NEWS ARCHIVE
View the Archive

ADVERTISEMENT Man Sentenced for Wildlife Violations Wednesday
By Barry Wright
PADUCAH, KY - The owner of a local sporting goods store has been ordered to pay a $5,000 fine for aiding and abetting hunters to commit wildlife violations.

Lynn McCutchen, owner of Paducah Shooters Supply, was sentenced Wednesday in U.S. District Court in Paducah for a misdemeanor violation of the Migratory Bird Treaty for aiding and abetting the taking of migratory birds - ducks and geese - in a manner not permitted by regulations and by knowingly altering a shotgun so as to render it capable of holding more that three shells in violation of federal migratory bird hunting regulations. That's according to an announcement made Friday by David J. Hale, the U.S. Attorney for the Western District of Kentucky Friday.

The judge ordered McCutchen to pay a $15,000 fine, $10,000 of which will be probated upon the completion of special conditions set forth in the plea agreement. In addition to the fine, McCutchen agreed to recall Benelli Super Black Eagle shotguns modified by Paducah Shooters Supply and to restore the modified bolts to a condition which prevents the shotgun from being capable of "floating" a fourth shell.

The recall will be free of charge to customers who have had Benelli shotguns previously modified at Paducah Shooters Supply. This recall will be advertised in the Outdoors Section of the Paducah Sun on four occasions, and will also be prominently posted at Paducah Shooter's Supply.

The plea agreement also calls for either articles or paid advertisements to be placed in Ducks Unlimited Magazine, Wildfowl Magazine and Shooting Sports Retailer detailing the illegality of modifying the bolt of Benelli Super Black Eagle shotguns to enable the shotgun to "float" a fourth shell for the purpose of hunting waterfowl and other migratory birds.

The case was prosecuted by Assistant United States Attorney Randy Ream, and it was investigated by the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service, Office of Law Enforcement, and the Kentucky Department of Fish & Wildlife Resources.

possumfoot
hunter

Postby possumfoot » Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:08 am

clymerfowler wrote:so basicly im only allowed 2 3 1/2 since if i can hold 3 3 1/2s i can hold 4 2 3/4 hells

lets see... 2 X 3.5 =7 3 X 2.75 = 8.25 so a plug that only allows for say 7.25in of room in the mag will do what??

possumfoot
hunter

Postby mudpack » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:22 pm

possumfoot wrote:lets see... 2 X 3.5 =7 3 X 2.75 = 8.25 so a plug that only allows for say 7.25in of room in the mag will do what??

A plug that will allow 6.125" of space in the magazine will allow only two 3.5" shells, only two 3" shells, and only two 2 3/4" shells in the mag.
mudpack
hunter

Postby tornadochaser » Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:10 pm

I wonder how many times I can trick a warden into stomping out of the cattails thinking he's got me dead to rights for floating a 4th when I rack 4 off this fall. 8-):lol::twisted:

uploadfromtaptalk1407874139082.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1407874109684.jpg
tornadochaser
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Shotgun Forum