Releasing the bolt with carrier release. Letting it slam

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Releasing the bolt with carrier release. Letting it slam

Postby Ukcatshunter » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:56 am

Any idea why in my Beretta instruction manual, no less than 3 times it says:

Press the carrier release button and gently let the bolt close. Do not let the bolt close on its own.
Otherwise damage to both parts may occur.

Go to any gun store and they will let it slam before letting you shoulder.

Is this just CYA for gun companies?
Ukcatshunter
hunter

Re: Releasing the bolt with carrier release. Letting it slam

Postby TomKat » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:34 am

They are designed to have full release to pick up a shell. They are not designed to have full release on an empty gun. That is the simple answer.
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby SteveInOR » Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:19 pm

TomKat wrote:They are designed to have full release to pick up a shell. They are not designed to have full release on an empty gun. That is the simple answer.

Yes, this. Think of it like dry firing a bow. The small amount if energy created when the bolt slams forward has to go somewhere. When you chamber a shell it gets used stuffing the shell in the chamber. No shell, energy gets spread out over the bolt assembly. Over time it might cause a problem, but I highly doubt it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SteveInOR
hunter

Postby z51 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:06 pm

I've done it forever and never had a problem and I shoot semis 90 percent of the time.
z51
hunter

Postby Tgunz_64 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:03 pm

Even my pistol manuals say the same thing. Really you shouldn't slam it shut dry. Odds are slim you'd have a problem with it anyway. It's mainly to cover their butts if an issue ever arises
Tgunz_64
hunter

Postby TomKat » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:09 pm

z51 wrote:I've done it forever and never had a problem and I shoot semis 90 percent of the time.

Then by all means, ignore the recommendations of the engineers who designed them.
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby cleboje » Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:13 am

Believe this instruction is for when the barrel is not mounted on the receiver...in that case, allowing the bolt to slam home would indeed damage the bolt handle and the front of the receiver chamber opening, where these two parts would collide with considerable force. :fingerpt: :fingerpt: :fingerpt:

Now once the barrel is mounted into the receiver (and forend with magazine cap are installed) you can let 'er rip as that's how the gun is designed to be used. :thumbsup:
cleboje
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:55 am

I don't know but will agree with the "don't let it slam shut" guys for one reason.

If I fire my 390 til its empty...the bolt stays back on the final shot.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
hunter

Postby cleboje » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:05 am

aunt betty wrote:I don't know but will agree with the "don't let it slam shut" guys for one reason.

And every shot you fire till it's empty is executed with a bolt that slams shut... :lol3: :lol3: :lol3:
cleboje
hunter

Postby uglymug » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:55 am

cleboje wrote:
aunt betty wrote:I don't know but will agree with the "don't let it slam shut" guys for one reason.

And every shot you fire till it's empty is executed with a bolt that slams shut... :lol3: :lol3: :lol3:

Slams shut WITH a shell.
uglymug
hunter

Postby TomKat » Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:54 pm

uglymug wrote:
cleboje wrote:

Slams shut WITH a shell.

Exactly. Picking up the shell absorbs some of that knetic energy.
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby nmbrinkman » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:37 pm

I can see both sides but I don't imagine sliding a shell up a feed ramp and chambering it really absorbs that much energy to make a difference.
nmbrinkman
hunter

Postby cleboje » Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:01 pm

With a shell loaded from the carrier to the bolt or without shell in front of the bolt does not matter.

Beretta designed their 390's (and all other 300 series autoloaders) to have the bolt slam shut to ensure rock-solid lockup.

Carry on. :hammer:
cleboje
hunter

Postby z51 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:12 am

cleboje wrote:Believe this instruction is for when the barrel is not mounted on the receiver...in that case, allowing the bolt to slam home would indeed damage the bolt handle and the front of the receiver chamber opening, where these two parts would collide with considerable force. :fingerpt: :fingerpt: :fingerpt:

Now once the barrel is mounted into the receiver (and forend with magazine cap are installed) you can let 'er rip as that's how the gun is designed to be used. :thumbsup:

This is correct. The gently close the bolt instruction is during disassembly after the barrel and forearm are removed.
If you read the assembly instructions it says, " close the breech bolt by pushing the cartridge latch button, being careful not to get fingers caught in the ejection port".
That's all it says.

If you slam the bolt closed with the barrel off the cocking handle will slam into the front of the ejection port. Do not do that!
z51
hunter

Return to Shotgun Forum