Ethos or A5?

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Ethos or A5?

Postby devildog28 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:04 pm

Or both!

I want to hunt with this gun.

Other scattergun is a Browning Gold.
devildog28
hunter

Re: Ethos or A5?

Postby rerhardt » Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:45 am

I usually don't reply when it comes to gun choices but, that is a hard choice, I have only shouldered both and they both feel nice to me, both look great, and almost the same action. The only thing that I don't like about the ethos is the flat rib but then they thought of that also and make other ribs (higher) at your cost though. The ethos is on MY to buy list but I have been a benelli man for awhile.
rerhardt
hunter

Postby mudpack » Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:03 am

I'm not a Benelli fan, but the Ethos might make me change my mind. I'd certainly choose it over the A5.
That said, I think your Gold is a much more suitable duck gun than the Ethos. Now, a pheasant gun? The Ethos would be sweet....
mudpack
hunter

Postby bucsfan69 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:58 am

The Ethos is a beautiful gun...like previous poster said, pheasant gun definitley...in the mud, swamps, grass, ice....Ill take my A5
bucsfan69
hunter

Postby DuckManClyde » Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:08 am

ethos! ethos! ethos! ethos!

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
If offended, and or irritated with the above post, please refer to my caring face :hi:
DuckManClyde
hunter

Postby apexhunter » Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:19 am

I agree with bucsfan in that my A5 is my go-to duck gun because I don't worry about nice wood and beautifully finished metal to ding & scratch. I have several guns for bird hunting that I love to shoot but the Ethos does look like a promising piece...especially if they'd come out with a 20 gauge version.
"Shoot low boys...they're riding shetland ponies in search of true grit" Lewis Grizzard
apexhunter
hunter

Postby Honk-n-quack » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:09 am

I would hold off on the ethos for a couple years just to make sure the price goes down a little and make sure they got all the bugs out
Honk-n-quack
hunter

Postby uglymug » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:36 am

I would hold off on both to be honest. The A5 and the Ethos are both very new. The A5 has some well documented bugs. The Ethos is a brand new shotgun. I'd be a little nervous about both. It sounds like you're looking for a gun that could be used in the field as well. I'd recommend an SX3 or a M2/Montefeltro, these are both proven guns that are very reliable.
uglymug
hunter

Postby cootlover » Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:15 pm

I wouldn't hold off on getting a new Ethos that gun has more research and development than most guns ever made.If I didn't drop a butt load on my new 28 ga I would own one but I will have to wait for a few months :sad:
cootlover
hunter

Postby Yuchi1 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:19 pm

uglymug wrote:I would hold off on both to be honest. The A5 and the Ethos are both very new. The A5 has some well documented bugs. The Ethos is a brand new shotgun. I'd be a little nervous about both. It sounds like you're looking for a gun that could be used in the field as well. I'd recommend an SX3 or a M2/Montefeltro, these are both proven guns that are very reliable.

THIS^^^ :yes:
Sent from my Sumerian tablets

Does the number of bands claimed simply mean you have an Ebay account?

FSH Pro Staffer

High Potentate, NSSB (no spinning shotcup brotherhood)
Yuchi1
hunter

Postby lunatic » Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:35 pm

For me the Ethos has a FUGLY trigger guard. And I am a A5 fan.

However the new A5 is going through some bugs right now, seriously hold off on buying one for another year or two.
"Semper Fi"
lunatic
hunter

Postby bvaz8503 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:12 pm

Bump. So could anyone provide some more feedback on the A5 and Ethos? Now that both of these have had some time, and dove season is in full swing, any comments on the operation and use would be great. I'm looking at either of these but leaning toward the Ethos for my main go to gun for the field and blind. Thanks!
bvaz8503
hunter

Postby kcwellington » Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:48 pm

I have an A5 3" and love it. I have not had one problem out of mine. Cant speak for anyone else but I am very happy with it. I have shot everything from LIght rap loads to turkey loads. I think the problems that i have been hearing about are the 3.5" A5's jamming with light loads but from what i have heard it is because the factory grease wasnt removed completely from the action. Like I said , cant speak for anyone but me but I love mine. I use Carlson sporting clay ext chokes(light mod and imp mod) and pretty much anything 1 1/4oz around 1400-1450 fps. Unless you feel that you just have to have the 3.5", I would go with the 3". jmo. It shoulders great, points great, has a good trigger and doesnt kick as bad as most people say. I'm 5'11" 185 and it doesnt bother me at all. Good luck with whatever you choose.
kcwellington
hunter

Postby uglymug » Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:44 pm

Save about a grand and get an m2 or a montefeltro.
uglymug
hunter

Postby Seaark18 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:30 pm

Of the two guns listed I'd buy the A5. They fit me perfectly, and I really like the way they handle. I don't care for the looks of the Ethos, but they do handle nice. However, once cost is factored in, if I were buying a 3" Benelli it would be an M2.
Seaark18
hunter

Postby lovethosesooners » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:50 am

Since I'm not a benelli "fan", easy choice for me-I have an A5 Ultimate 3" and absolutely love the gun.
Became big believer after I was able to take it on pheasant/quail hunt and shot lights out with it-points GREAT, light weight, beautiful gun, just not a thing I can think of that's negative.
It's also been used for trap and it's never had a misfire (granted it only has 200 rounds through it, but there's been no hunt of a misfire of any type).
If the ethos look is one of the things that's attracting you to it, I'd definitely take a look at the ultimate.
If it fits you nearly as well as mine fits me, you can't go wrong.
Btw, I have about every upper tier shotgun other than the benelli, so I'm no "fanboy" of any of them, just really like the A5.
lovethosesooners
hunter

Postby bvaz8503 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:11 am

lovethosesooners wrote:Since I'm not a benelli "fan", easy choice for me-I have an A5 Ultimate 3" and absolutely love the gun.
Became big believer after I was able to take it on pheasant/quail hunt and shot lights out with it-points GREAT, light weight, beautiful gun, just not a thing I can think of that's negative.
It's also been used for trap and it's never had a misfire (granted it only has 200 rounds through it, but there's been no hunt of a misfire of any type).
If the ethos look is one of the things that's attracting you to it, I'd definitely take a look at the ultimate.
If it fits you nearly as well as mine fits me, you can't go wrong.
Btw, I have about every upper tier shotgun other than the benelli, so I'm no "fanboy" of any of them, just really like the A5.

I'm a bit torn on the matter. I grew up using my great uncle's Sweet Sixteen Auto 5. He put on a poly choke which is nice, but doesn't pattern center, more like 6:30 so I don't use it as often. He passed away and now i'm looking to replicate his tradition of getting a great looking gun that's "classically" yours and keeping it until the next generation takes over. As I'm really starting to get into hunting again (relocation), I was looking for a stylish gun that could be a workhorse of sorts. He took his everywhere and hunted everything with it from waterfowl to upland to deer. Since the Ethos comes in the "blued" shade as well as nickle, I was looking at the blued to be the take anywhere gun and it won't flare doves, geese, or ducks.

With that said, I love the old Auto 5 and the humpback design for the nostalgia effect it brings, but since the A5 puts me in the $1500+ I started looking at other options and came across the Ethos. Hopefully I can shoulder both of them soon (no one has them in stock).
bvaz8503
hunter

Postby lovethosesooners » Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:35 pm

With that said, I love the old Auto 5 and the humpback design for the nostalgia effect it brings, but since the A5 puts me in the $1500+ I started looking at other options and came across the Ethos. Hopefully I can shoulder both of them soon (no one has them in stock).

You might find that the familiarity with the humpback may be an advantage of the A5....
The point SO very well! (as do the Auto 5's....)
lovethosesooners
hunter

Return to Shotgun Forum