Weatherby SA-08 28 bore

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Weatherby SA-08 28 bore

Postby hamernhonkers » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:09 pm

Well I once again could not control myself and two day's ago picked up a little SA-08 28 gauge. Got it home and of course my wife threw it up and it instantly became hers(I never learn :mad: ). Today we finally had time to run out an put a couple of boxes through it(I only got to shoot 5 rounds through it :sad: ) and it cycled and killed clay's beautifully :thumbsup: It has the 28" barrel and feels very tight/well put to gather.

Looks like I will be loading up a bunch of tungsten poly loads for this gun as my wife now wants to hunt ducks with it next season and if she keeps shooting it the way she did today the ducks will be in trouble :yes:

I plan letting her put it through the paces this spring and summer on clays and starling and will try to keep anyone who is interested updated with how it holds up and dose.
Hello

David wrote:
I have suspended the suspension on the suspended, allowing the suspended to post in a non-suspending manner.
hamernhonkers
hunter

Re: Weatherby SA-08 28 bore

Postby Honk-n-quack » Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:06 am

Please let me know how your reloading goes, this may be my next pheasant gun, my restriction is that I have to use no-tox ammo where I hunt
Honk-n-quack
hunter

Postby mudpack » Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:45 am

Awesome. I've always liked the little 28. Never had any use for one, but always liked them. They're so cute.
mudpack
hunter

Postby steelshotshooter » Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:58 am

I don't never see me owning a 28 ga. but, I would get one for the wife if she wanted one...

Please keep us updated with loads and shooting info....
By HIS stripes, we are healed...
steelshotshooter
hunter

Postby cootlover » Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:08 am

If lead was still legal all I would shoot for ducks is one my 28 ga . I was holding the tristar 28 the other day same gun different name if felt good.
cootlover
hunter

Postby winchester1852 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:30 pm

Do they make steel loads for the 28 all I see is lead and thats top $$$.
if you can read this your almost as smart as a dolphin.
winchester1852
hunter

Postby hamernhonkers » Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:51 pm

winchester1852 wrote:Do they make steel loads for the 28 all I see is lead and thats top $$$.

Yes but the factory stuff is for very short range work like 20 and closer. Its not a wise choice over all for anything bigger then quail and doves.

If you want to invest the time to load for it then a whole new world opens up. I have loaded steel, hevi and tungsten poly and have taken ducks, geese and a swan two seasons ago with the 28. I am thinking for my wife right either HW 13 in 6 shot or ITX 10 in 4.5 shot for her to shoot ducks with and TSS 7 shot handy for the occasional goose.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9360 using Tapatalk
Hello

David wrote:
I have suspended the suspension on the suspended, allowing the suspended to post in a non-suspending manner.
hamernhonkers
hunter

Postby hamernhonkers » Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:58 pm

mudpack wrote:Awesome. I've always liked the little 28. Never had any use for one, but always liked them. They're so cute.

Mud and SSS you aught to give it a go. Even just for light upland, doves and pigeons the 28 really is a surprisingly solid bore and a fun gun to shoot.

I have taken every species in large numbers from quail and doves to phes, pine chickens, chuckers, and the big bombers of the sage flats.

Every time someone new hunts with me and sees what this magical little bore can do they usually just say "wow I would of never believed it but I just seen it with my own eyes".

And hell you can never have to many toys right :thumbsup:

Hello

David wrote:
hamernhonkers
hunter

Postby steelshotshooter » Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:43 pm

I'm taking my wife on her first pheasant hunt this Fall - 2014, and I would really like to have a gun with a little less recoil than her 20 ga.. I'll have to think about this. I'm sure she would appreciate another gun....
steelshotshooter
hunter

Postby hamernhonkers » Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:04 pm

Here is what she looks like. It is a pretty little gun. It is on a true 28 gauge frame and weights a touch over 5 1/2lbs. It comes with shims for cast and length and the standard 3 choke tubes. My wife shot it and her a-400 side by side on Friday and just could not believe the lack of recoil from it.

I think what I will do for those interested is keep posting to this thread with shells counts and pattern work with the no-tox loads. Right now it looks like I will be ordering TPS wads and new primed Cheddite hulls on Monday along with some ITX-10 (can't decide between 4.5 shot with 134 pellets per 3/4 oz load and 6 shot with 180 pellets at 3/4 of an oz) to go with the stock pile of tungsten poly, hevi, HW 15 and TSS I have that I can load for it. (Really I am just trying to find an excuse to get the ITX -10 to shoot through my Redlable 28 :yes: )

So with that the shell count is 50 rounds of Winchester AAHS 3/4 oz of 8 shot and no malfunctions :thumbsup:
Last edited by hamernhonkers on Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hello

David wrote:
hamernhonkers
hunter

Postby Gj325 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:07 pm

Nice gun. My wife wants to start shooting skeet. I thought a 20 ga would be in order this might be better. But she CC is a 45
Gordon WPS
Gj325
hunter

Postby hamernhonkers » Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:18 pm

Just a heads up for you guys thinking about the 28 for clay's and upland. The best factory loads for me in my 28's have been Winchester AA with 3/4 oz of 7 1/2 shot for clay's and up to close range phes and sage hens. The big issue is the price of the factory loadings. If you search you can find flats around $90 to $100 at best for the top tier stuff like the AA and STS loads and of course a bit cheaper with estates and fiocchi loadings. If you really want to shoot the 28 heavy you need to invest in reloading for it. The cost up front sucks but once you get going and with smart buying you can still load lead rounds for well under $5 a box :thumbsup: of course this is not counting your time :tongue:
Hello

David wrote:
hamernhonkers
hunter

Postby steelshotshooter » Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:27 pm

My wife had a pacemaker put in about 4 months ago, and she's still in her mid 40's...

The more I look at this little 28 ga., the more I like it. And at 5 1/2 lbs., I think this will make a good Birthday present for my wife. Keep up posted on patterns, loads and performance. I'll keep an eye on this thread and look forward to seeing your reports....
steelshotshooter
hunter

Postby 1448jonboat » Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:33 am

Thanks for the review on the sa-08. That's a sweet little gun. I have one on order and can't wait to get it.

My son used a 870 28 gauge this season this year and I spent some time working on some loads for it. If you're going to be loading itx10, I'd recommend going with the number 6 instead of the 4.5. I've had trouble getting decent patterns out of the bigger shot...plus if you do get it to pattern well, you'll run out of pattern density well before you run out of energy. The 6 shot in itx10 is more of a close range option, but I had good results with patterning it in my sons 28. I had even better luck loading up tss18 number 7. My son used it as a duck/goose load and it performed well. It's expensive, but I believe it's effectiveness in the 28 gauge makes it a good match.
1448jonboat
hunter

Postby hamernhonkers » Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:38 pm

1448jonboat wrote:Thanks for the review on the sa-08. That's a sweet little gun. I have one on order and can't wait to get it.

My son used a 870 28 gauge this season this year and I spent some time working on some loads for it. If you're going to be loading itx10, I'd recommend going with the number 6 instead of the 4.5. I've had trouble getting decent patterns out of the bigger shot...plus if you do get it to pattern well, you'll run out of pattern density well before you run out of energy. The 6 shot in itx10 is more of a close range option, but I had good results with patterning it in my sons 28. I had even better luck loading up tss18 number 7. My son used it as a duck/goose load and it performed well. It's expensive, but I believe it's effectiveness in the 28 gauge makes it a good match.

Thank you for the heads up on the ITX. I was thinking I could get workable patterns with the 4 shot with the multiple choke tubes for the SA-08 and Redlable. I am guessing your 870 has a fixed mod barrel like mine? I believe all the 870's came fixed mod choke? Also if you don't mind me asking how far were you able to get reliable kills on mallard sized ducks with the 6 shot?

Thanks.

Also 50 more rounds this evening so 100 rounds with no cleaning since the initial strip down and no issues.

Hello

David wrote:
hamernhonkers
hunter

Postby 1448jonboat » Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:18 pm

My son's 870 is an Express model and it does have a fixed modified barrel. Maybe you could get your gun to pattern better using one of the chokes you have. I'd say 30-35 yards is how far I trust the 6 shot in itx10 for ducks. But I wouldn't use that on geese unless they were quite a bit closer. That's one of the things I liked about the TSS #7. There wasn't a need to switch out the shells no matter the type of waterfowl.
1448jonboat
hunter

Postby mudpack » Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:29 pm

hamernhonkers wrote:Mud and SSS you aught to give it a go. Even just for light upland, doves and pigeons the 28 really is a surprisingly solid bore and a fun gun to shoot.

I'm sure it is. But, when I feel like dropping down into the subgauges, I just pull out one of my 20 gauge guns. Does a great job, little recoil, fairly cheap ammo available anywhere, etc.....everything a 28 gauge is and more.

That SA-8 has some very nice wood! :thumbsup:
mudpack
hunter

Postby hamernhonkers » Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:29 pm

1448jonboat wrote:My son's 870 is an Express model and it does have a fixed modified barrel. Maybe you could get your gun to pattern better using one of the chokes you have. I'd say 30-35 yards is how far I trust the 6 shot in itx10 for ducks. But I wouldn't use that on geese unless they were quite a bit closer. That's one of the things I liked about the TSS #7. There wasn't a need to switch out the shells no matter the type of waterfowl.

Thanks for the feedback and I hear you on the TSS but I am going to hold on to mine and only load it for her as a goose load.

I am going to sleep on it tonight before I put in my order tomorrow :thumbsup:
Hello

David wrote:
hamernhonkers
hunter

Postby apexhunter » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:48 am

I've shot a 28 for many many years and it is my favorite gauge for bird hunting, period. I just acquired my 3rd 28 when a barely used DeHaan 28 SxS showed up at a gun shop a month ago and I couldn't resist it. With good ammo a 28 is as capable as a 20 for doves out to 40+ yards and it makes for a perfect quail gun being so light to carry and with very little recoil. In an auto like the AS-08 recoil is virtually nonexistant and even in a double it is very, very mild. Granted ammo isn't cheap as some have mentioned but I buy by the case/flat to save money and seeing that I normally shoot just a couple hundred rounds through it per year the extra cost is spread out over some time.
"Shoot low boys...they're riding shetland ponies in search of true grit" Lewis Grizzard
apexhunter
hunter

Postby mudpack » Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:49 am

I like the idea of a 28 for women and children, but a 28 with good ammo is not as capable at 40+ yards as a 20 with good ammo is. It's a simple matter of payload. It may be 75% as good as a 20, but it's not AS good.
mudpack
hunter

Postby hamernhonkers » Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:15 pm

Just gonna bump this so I don't have to dig to far to find it.

Another 100 rounds through it, no issues and the HW13 arrived today and the TPS wads are due to be delivered on wednesday. With time permitting I might have patterns on paper by this weekend :thumbsup:

Hello

David wrote:
hamernhonkers
hunter

Postby steelshotshooter » Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:34 am

Look forward to seeing your patterns....
steelshotshooter
hunter

Postby Tim Terrell » Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:46 pm

mudpack wrote:I like the idea of a 28 for women and children, but a 28 with good ammo is not as capable at 40+ yards as a 20 with good ammo is. It's a simple matter of payload. It may be 75% as good as a 20, but it's not AS good.

Spoken like a guy that never, EVER even shot a twenty-eight. Keep digging that hole son... :thumbsup:
--Tim
Tim Terrell
hunter

Postby KRB » Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:21 pm

Have used a 28ga ruger red label for 6 years now for grouse and woodcock in NY and Maine. The 28 kill's grouse Just fine. Factory ammo is expensive. If you don't reload the 20ga is way cheaper.
KRB
hunter

Postby MasonG » Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:13 pm

Please do keep us updated on you patterns and such. If I do end up picking up one of these this summer, I'd like to know what's working so I can reload for it. I sure would love to make a 28 work for pheasant hunting too (game farm birds).
MasonG
hunter

Next

Return to Shotgun Forum