Weatherby SA-08 28 bore

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Re: Weatherby SA-08 28 bore

Postby hamernhonkers » Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:26 am

KRB wrote:
hamernhonkers wrote:
KRB wrote:H&H did this gun come with drop and cast shim's?



Yes. Here is everything that comes in the spare parts box :thumbsup:


Image

Sent from my BlackBerry 9360 using Tapatalk

Thank you sir, as I shoot lefty. :thumbsup:


I am a lefty also but I have shot neutral cast for so long that when I adjust a gun to cast off it just doesn't feel right for me. In this case my wife likes the gun with neutral cast as well so I haven't messed with it or the drop yet.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9360 using Tapatalk
Hello

David wrote:
I have suspended the suspension on the suspended, allowing the suspended to post in a non-suspending manner.
User avatar
hamernhonkers
hunter
 
Posts: 3330
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2005 9:56 am


Re: Weatherby SA-08 28 bore

Postby KRB » Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:55 pm

hamernhonkers wrote:
KRB wrote:
hamernhonkers wrote:
KRB wrote:H&H did this gun come with drop and cast shim's?



Yes. Here is everything that comes in the spare parts box :thumbsup:


Image

Sent from my BlackBerry 9360 using Tapatalk

Thank you sir, as I shoot lefty. :thumbsup:


I am a lefty also but I have shot neutral cast for so long that when I adjust a gun to cast off it just doesn't feel right for me. In this case my wife likes the gun with neutral cast as well so I haven't messed with it or the drop yet.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9360 using Tapatalk

I don/t mind the right hand ejection. Like you say I can shoot a neutral stock fine, but cast on is a problem if there is no shim system to adjust it. Thanks
KRB
hunter
 
Posts: 2301
Joined: Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:12 pm
Location: South Shore LI

Re: Weatherby SA-08 28 bore

Postby KRB » Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:31 pm

H&H just curious did you notice anything in the manuel about reversing the safety
KRB
hunter
 
Posts: 2301
Joined: Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:12 pm
Location: South Shore LI

Re: Weatherby SA-08 28 bore

Postby cootlover » Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:54 am

I don't care for cast off in stocks I made my own straight one for my m2 and love it.
cootlover
hunter
 
Posts: 1176
Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:39 pm

Re: Weatherby SA-08 28 bore

Postby hamernhonkers » Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:53 am

KRB wrote:H&H just curious did you notice anything in the manuel about reversing the safety


I didn't notice it when I looked at the manual but when I get time today I will dig it out and see if there is anything about it in there.
Hello

David wrote:
I have suspended the suspension on the suspended, allowing the suspended to post in a non-suspending manner.
User avatar
hamernhonkers
hunter
 
Posts: 3330
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2005 9:56 am

Re: Weatherby SA-08 28 bore

Postby hamernhonkers » Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:15 pm

KRB wrote:H&H just curious did you notice anything in the manuel about reversing the safety


Just ran through the manual and nothing on reversing the safety in it.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9360 using Tapatalk
Hello

David wrote:
I have suspended the suspension on the suspended, allowing the suspended to post in a non-suspending manner.
User avatar
hamernhonkers
hunter
 
Posts: 3330
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2005 9:56 am

Re: Weatherby SA-08 28 bore

Postby KRB » Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:24 pm

hamernhonkers wrote:
KRB wrote:H&H just curious did you notice anything in the manuel about reversing the safety


Just ran through the manual and nothing on reversing the safety in it.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9360 using Tapatalk

Appreciate the effort.
KRB
hunter
 
Posts: 2301
Joined: Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:12 pm
Location: South Shore LI

Re: Weatherby SA-08 28 bore

Postby hamernhonkers » Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:40 pm

Well here are some new patterns with steel #4's. This load is 5/8 oz and moving at 1350 fps. I am looking for a cheap load for the days when the birds are working the blocks well.

Image

Image

Image

Image
Hello

David wrote:
I have suspended the suspension on the suspended, allowing the suspended to post in a non-suspending manner.
User avatar
hamernhonkers
hunter
 
Posts: 3330
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2005 9:56 am

Re: Weatherby SA-08 28 bore

Postby 1448jonboat » Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:01 pm

That SA-08 is putting up some good patterns, but that 870 with the fixed choke seems to shoot a wide variety of shells really well. As nice as that SA-08 is, you might just be circling back to that 870, right? :) But I guess your wife likes how easy the SA-08 is on her shoulder. By the way, I have my SA-08 still on back order at my local gun shop. I guess there is a strong demand for those guns right now.
1448jonboat
hunter
 
Posts: 251
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:53 pm
Location: California

Re: Weatherby SA-08 28 bore

Postby hamernhonkers » Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:12 pm

1448jonboat wrote:That SA-08 is putting up some good patterns, but that 870 with the fixed choke seems to shoot a wide variety of shells really well. As nice as that SA-08 is, you might just be circling back to that 870, right? :) But I guess your wife likes how easy the SA-08 is on her shoulder. By the way, I have my SA-08 still on back order at my local gun shop. I guess there is a strong demand for those guns right now.



I have to be fair to the sa-08, it has 3 chokes and only one is getting action right now (I am just to lazy to switch tubes :sad: ) The 08 is the wife's gun and she really loves it. I keep trying to talk her into trading me for a different gun but that's just not happening. I am afraid I will be like you with one on backorder for myself real soon :biggrin: if not the 870 is going to get a real good work out this fall :thumbsup:
Hello

David wrote:
I have suspended the suspension on the suspended, allowing the suspended to post in a non-suspending manner.
User avatar
hamernhonkers
hunter
 
Posts: 3330
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2005 9:56 am

Re: Weatherby SA-08 28 bore

Postby cootlover » Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:16 pm

I would put money on it in the right hands that number 4 steel would be very deadly on any duck stupid enough to come within 40 yards nice work hammer :clapping:
cootlover
hunter
 
Posts: 1176
Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:39 pm

Re: Weatherby SA-08 28 bore

Postby hamernhonkers » Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:19 pm

cootlover wrote:I would put money on it in the right hands that number 4 steel would be very deadly on any duck stupid enough to come within 40 yards nice work hammer :clapping:



Thanks coot :thumbsup: . The patterns are solid but #4 steel is just not a 40 yard load for mallards and gaddy sized ducks for me. I will keep this load to 35 and under. I got the good stuff for those longer shots :wink:
Hello

David wrote:
I have suspended the suspension on the suspended, allowing the suspended to post in a non-suspending manner.
User avatar
hamernhonkers
hunter
 
Posts: 3330
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2005 9:56 am

Re: Weatherby SA-08 28 bore

Postby cootlover » Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:23 am

My buddy shoots #6 steel 28ga out to 30 yards very deadly but he is a triple A skeet shooter the might be the reason.
cootlover
hunter
 
Posts: 1176
Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:39 pm

Re: Weatherby SA-08 28 bore

Postby hamernhonkers » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:23 pm

Sorry guys but I have been busy getting my face cut on among other things and I haven't had time until today to work on some more loads. This is 13/16 oz load of Hevi 6 shot at 1200 fps through the mod tube. Lets just say I have found the winner in my mind for a perfect 28 duck load. Let me know what you guys think :thumbsup:

Image

Image



As you can see this was my first shot and just I was a little nervous it was goanna hurt as I just had a sinus surgery last week but typical 28, I didn't feel a thing :beer:

Image
Hello

David wrote:
I have suspended the suspension on the suspended, allowing the suspended to post in a non-suspending manner.
User avatar
hamernhonkers
hunter
 
Posts: 3330
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2005 9:56 am

Re: Weatherby SA-08 28 bore

Postby 3200 man » Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:40 am

hamernhonkers , WOW !

I've been following your post on the 28 ga and can see you pretty-much hit the Holy-Grail !
I also have been shooting my 28's at Sporting targets with Win SS 1300's and Estates .
I reload with a 9000 G and really enjoy shooting these guns at clays and upland birds .
The only times I've hunted waterfowl with them I used Bismuth 6's and 4's ( store bought )
Teal with 6's worked great in the Mod 12 and 4's inside 35 yds for Mallards worked good
even tho it put more holes in the birds , than I wanted , they were dead in the air . I didn't
pattern these much as at the time I purchased these shells as they were a dollar a shell , ha ha !
Looking at your latest patterns with HS 6's kind of puts the fire back in me to load some HS ,
I have some heavy-weight 13 in 4's to try so with a Mod choke I could possibly get out past 40 yds. ?
I would shoot these out of my Citori 525 30" maybe choked Mod / I Mod , hmmm ?

Thanks for sharing the pic's and your testing as it shines some light on the 28 ga !

With you passing your load recipe in a PM , I would appreciate it .
3200 man
hunter
 
Posts: 3055
Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:30 am

Re: Weatherby SA-08 28 bore

Postby KRB » Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:19 am

hamernhonkers wrote:Sorry guys but I have been busy getting my face cut on among other things and I haven't had time until today to work on some more loads. This is 13/16 oz load of Hevi 6 shot at 1200 fps through the mod tube. Lets just say I have found the winner in my mind for a perfect 28 duck load. Let me know what you guys think :thumbsup:

Image

Image



As you can see this was my first shot and just I was a little nervous it was goanna hurt as I just had a sinus surgery last week but typical 28, I didn't feel a thing :beer:

Image

Looks like dead ducks to me. Just in local gun store got to shoulder new A400 28ga, very nice
KRB
hunter
 
Posts: 2301
Joined: Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:12 pm
Location: South Shore LI

Re: Weatherby SA-08 28 bore

Postby hamernhonkers » Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:08 pm

KRB wrote:Looks like dead ducks to me. Just in local gun store got to shoulder new A400 28ga, very nice



KRB the wife has the 20 bore version of the A400 and loves it to death. We did have a few problems at first with cycling and then the stock cracking. I really wanted to get the 28 version when it came out but with the issue we had at the beginning I decided to let the 400 get a few more years under it to see how they will hold up with use. That is why I bought her the weatherby, I still have yet to hear of any real issues with them from anyone.
Hello

David wrote:
I have suspended the suspension on the suspended, allowing the suspended to post in a non-suspending manner.
User avatar
hamernhonkers
hunter
 
Posts: 3330
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2005 9:56 am

Re: Weatherby SA-08 28 bore

Postby hamernhonkers » Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:14 pm

3200 man wrote:hamernhonkers , WOW !

I've been following your post on the 28 ga and can see you pretty-much hit the Holy-Grail !
I also have been shooting my 28's at Sporting targets with Win SS 1300's and Estates .
I reload with a 9000 G and really enjoy shooting these guns at clays and upland birds .
The only times I've hunted waterfowl with them I used Bismuth 6's and 4's ( store bought )
Teal with 6's worked great in the Mod 12 and 4's inside 35 yds for Mallards worked good
even tho it put more holes in the birds , than I wanted , they were dead in the air . I didn't
pattern these much as at the time I purchased these shells as they were a dollar a shell , ha ha !
Looking at your latest patterns with HS 6's kind of puts the fire back in me to load some HS ,
I have some heavy-weight 13 in 4's to try so with a Mod choke I could possibly get out past 40 yds. ?
I would shoot these out of my Citori 525 30" maybe choked Mod / I Mod , hmmm ?

Thanks for sharing the pic's and your testing as it shines some light on the 28 ga !

With you passing your load recipe in a PM , I would appreciate it .


3200 PM Sent man :thumbsup:

I wouldn't think you would have any issue holding the HW13 4 shot together past 40 but I would guess it would be a thinner pattern for ducks. I sent you the load for the 13/16 oz load but can send you the 1 oz load as well if you would like. The HW13 load of 4's would be a killer goose load and I bet you could hold it together with some work to 50 or 55 for geese if you really wanted to. The 1 oz load of 4 shot would give you about 115 pellets and according to KPY you would get 2.3" of penetration out to 57 yards at sea level and a starting velocity of 1200 fps :thumbsup:
Hello

David wrote:
I have suspended the suspension on the suspended, allowing the suspended to post in a non-suspending manner.
User avatar
hamernhonkers
hunter
 
Posts: 3330
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2005 9:56 am

Previous

Return to Shotgun Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 31 guests