New Versamax Waterfpwl "Pro" coming out

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

New Versamax Waterfpwl "Pro" coming out

Postby buckmeister » Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:44 am

This spring Remington is bringing out a Versamax with a few more goodies on it. The pro model will come in Mossy Oak blades grass and have an oversized bolt handle, a larger bolt release button and enlarged area where you put the shells in. Looks pretty neat. I think most of those features are already on their tactical competition model. Anybody have a chance to see this gun yet?
"Give me liberty or give me death"
buckmeister
hunter

Re: New Versamax Waterfpwl "Pro" coming out

Postby O.D.Lid » Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:57 pm

:huh: Remington's version of Benelli's performance shop? nno!: ?
If the ocean was made of WHISKEY and I was a DUCK I'd swim to the bottom and get all F!@#% up!
O.D.Lid
hunter

Postby winchester1852 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:17 pm

Some of the parts on the versa max look like benelli parts almost like Remington copied some to the T.
if you can read this your almost as smart as a dolphin.
winchester1852
hunter

Postby TuJays » Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:40 pm

Yes I have!
I have done so much for so long with so little, I am now qualified to do anything with nothing!
TuJays
hunter

Re: New Versamax Waterfpwl

Postby mudpack » Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:51 am

winchester1852 wrote:Some of the parts on the versa max look like benelli parts almost like Remington copied some to the T.

I agree; the barrel on a VersaMax is long and round, exactly like the barrel on a Benelli. Copycats........ :fingerpt:
mudpack
hunter

Postby dog walker » Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:49 am

I'll agree that the bolt assembly is far removed from any Remington I've seen before. So yes it looks very much like the bolts out of Italian guns.
dog walker
hunter

Postby blakduck » Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:38 pm

If its as good as the versamax in my closet I'm all in!!
blakduck
hunter

Postby Jkling12 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:38 pm

blakduck wrote:If its as good as the versamax in my closet I'm all in!!

x2 :beer:
Foamy Log Blind@ ProStaff
"Why sport an Oak when you can float a Log"
Proudly made in the USA
LeakyW8ers wrote:It would be like sleeping with my best friends wife, it may feel good at the time, but is going to get awkward really quick.
Jkling12
hunter

Postby lovethosesooners » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:57 pm

I liked my 1st 1 (black 1) that I found an excuse to buy a 2nd in MODB-my favorite shotgun(s)!!!!
lovethosesooners
hunter

Postby War Wagon » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:27 pm

Who Cares ... :no:
War Wagon
hunter

Postby Tealer » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:32 pm

I have all those options on mine already though it took some time to locate them. BTW Benelli M2 bolt handles will fit a V max.
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot

Postby justinduckman7 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:24 am

The reason they are so similar this coming from outside. Source not sure how true but the gentalman who designed the VErsamax was a benilli guy for 20 yrs they let him go and Remington picked him up and the VErsamax was born. A lot of similarities yes from the barrel to bolt.
(IF IT FLIES IT DIES AND IF IT SITS THEIR IT STILL DIES ) Let's go shoot their faces off
justinduckman7
hunter

Postby lovethosesooners » Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:19 am

Well war wagon, I hope for your sake you simply didn't stop to think before your post?
Maybe if you did, you may have grasped that buying a 2nd one just might mean I found it to be a really great shotgun.....kind of along the same lines as several comments before mine...wow :hammer:
lovethosesooners
hunter

Postby NW Birdhunter » Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:59 pm

Sounds good, my Versamax in MODB, has been a duck and goose crushing machine. Unbelievably light recoil and very reliable. :beer:
Forget the past, the past is gone forever, right now is where it's happening.
NW Birdhunter
hunter

Postby CaptainWv » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:16 am

Im a Remington guy, but until they redesign the fore end I wont be buying one, feels like a huge club to me.. but thats my opinion :hammer:
CaptainWv
hunter

Postby BurninPowder » Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:08 pm

TuJays wrote:Yes I have!

So... Give us the scoop Tujays. Did you get to put some rounds through it... Likes-Dislikes?...Would you trade your ol trusty original VM for it :biggrin: ...They kept your very first for R&D didn't they?
BurninPowder
hunter

Postby TuJays » Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:43 pm

BurninPowder wrote:
TuJays wrote:Yes I have!

So... Give us the scoop Tujays. Did you get to put some rounds through it... Likes-Dislikes?...Would you trade your ol trusty original VM for it :biggrin: ...They kept your very first for R&D didn't they?

Finally...someone that pays attention in class :beer:
My original VM was made in November of 2010...I/WE (real hunters, really hunting) did all the R&D for the new offering. Feedback is a gift, Remington accepted the gift.
In late May/early June of 2013 i sent it (my original) back for its first and only checkup, along with a specific set of instructions as to how i wanted it to come back! It came back just like I wanted, but it had a totally new receiver, bolt, trigger group, and magazine....same barrel, stock and forend!
So, now i have this frankengun that I am absolutely in love with and until one of us dies; we shall share the muddy fields as one....and did so all fall and winter.
The "Waterfowl Pro" was born out of blood, sweat, tears, and hard use of the original VM design.
Now....what they did with the original parts of my gun i do not know.....i am hopeful that they buried them at sea with full honors; they earned it!
This gun is meant for pounding waterfowl of all types, day in and day out, under harsh conditions, high volume heavy hunting loads, and no mercy.
It will work pretty good for just about any shotgun situation in my opinion, but waterfowl was the reason it was designed and the reason it will be successful.
As far a s a new "Waterfowl Pro"....I can hardly wait to lay my hands on one!
I have done so much for so long with so little, I am now qualified to do anything with nothing!
TuJays
hunter

Postby War Wagon » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:40 pm

I do hope the New Versamax "Waterfowl Pro" is a step in the right direction for Remington. I'm sorry I said "Who Cares" because I do care for the future of Remington and there Waterfowl Shotguns. My first new Waterfowl shotgun was a Remington 870 Magnum 3" ...WAY BACK in 1969. What a gun, and is. I sill have it after 45 years. I now hunt with a 11-87 3" semi auto I have no problems with this Remington. I have over 20 Remington Shotguns alone. I know this does not make me a expert on all the Remington products, but I just feel the current Owners and Manufacturing process used on these guns are not sound. They are sending out a guns with flaws. When I read about 870's that you got to polish area's to make them function correctly or send them back for a "magazine cap" ??? give me a break. Has Remington lost it's PRIDE in craftsmanship ???. Maybe this New Generation Gun will take them on the right path of the Remington's I knew.
I hope after this season somebody can give us a true usage history of the New Versamax "Waterfowl Pro"...I really do... :clapping:
War Wagon
hunter

Postby winchester1852 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:44 pm

from what i read the versa max sounds like it already has a strong following, hopefully they step up their quality control on their 870s.
winchester1852
hunter

Postby winchester1852 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:45 pm

from what i read the versa max sounds like it already has a strong following, hopefully they step up their quality control on their 870s.
winchester1852
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:58 pm

CaptainWv wrote:Im a Remington guy, but until they redesign the fore end I wont be buying one, feels like a huge club to me.. but thats my opinion :hammer:

If it weren't for that, my last purchace would've been a VM. I like everything about the gun except for that chunky forearm.
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:00 pm

War Wagon wrote:I do hope the New Versamax "Waterfowl Pro" is a step in the right direction for Remington. I'm sorry I said "Who Cares" because I do care for the future of Remington and there Waterfowl Shotguns. My first new Waterfowl shotgun was a Remington 870 Magnum 3" ...WAY BACK in 1969. What a gun, and is. I sill have it after 45 years. I now hunt with a 11-87 3" semi auto I have no problems with this Remington. I have over 20 Remington Shotguns alone. I know this does not make me a expert on all the Remington products, but I just feel the current Owners and Manufacturing process used on these guns are not sound. They are sending out a guns with flaws. When I read about 870's that you got to polish area's to make them function correctly or send them back for a "magazine cap" ??? give me a break. Has Remington lost it's PRIDE in craftsmanship ???. Maybe this New Generation Gun will take them on the right path of the Remington's I knew.
I hope after this season somebody can give us a true usage history of the New Versamax "Waterfowl Pro"...I really do... :clapping:

The very first brand new shotgun I ever got, Dad ordered a pair of new 870 3" magnums for us out of a Gun Digest or some such magazine in '61 or '62, and the picture was with the ribbed fore end, and then it came with the stamped in checkering.
Must have been the first year they did that to the magnum models.
It's in the gun cabinet in the next room. My son uses it now whenever he comes hunting with Dad. Clobbered a mess of Doves last opening day.
Like to get him the new Versa Max for next season.
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby Tgunz_64 » Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:23 am

If it weren't for that, my last purchace would've been a VM. I like everything about the gun except for that chunky forearm.

I agree. The VM forearm feels like I'm holding a 2x4. Plus why does it not lock in somehow by the receiver? Seems to be free floating and I don't care for that either.
Tgunz_64
hunter

Postby buckmeister » Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:16 pm

In regards to the chunky forearm. I don't have a Versamax I have an SBII which the forearm on the front of the SBII is much like the Remington.

The reason the forearm feels bulky on the VErsamax is that people are not extending their hand out on the forearm where it should be for more control and better shouldering.

I use to grip my SBII in the same spot where it is thick on the Versamax. The Versamax is thick in one spot to cover the dual piston gas system. I started gripping the SBIi further out on the stock away from the trigger guard and the gun really shoulders better and points better and gives better control over recoil. I grip the forearm at the very end now. way way better, I cant believe it took me so long to develop this. Don't grab the Versamax at the thick part and I think you will be pleased.
"Give me liberty or give me death"
buckmeister
hunter

Postby War Wagon » Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:08 am

The very first brand new shotgun I ever got, Dad ordered a pair of new 870 3" magnums for us out of a Gun Digest or some such magazine in '61 or '62, and the picture was with the ribbed fore end, and then it came with the stamped in checkering.
Must have been the first year they did that to the magnum models.
It's in the gun cabinet in the next room. My son uses it now whenever he comes hunting with Dad. Clobbered a mess of Doves last opening day.
Like to get him the new Versa Max for next season.[/quote]

Do you remember on the 870 Magnum models, what Remington sent for a duck plug ?
I still got mine.. :yes:
War Wagon
hunter

Next

Return to Shotgun Forum