Duck Hunting Forum banner

pump shotgun

3K views 28 replies 19 participants last post by  Tgunz_64 
#1 ·
i need a little help! my dad is turning 55 this year and well hes used the same pump shotgun for 23 years, which is the remington 870 express now im not much of a remington guy espceally the new 870s. but his gun just started having major issues this year and im looking to buy him a new gun! now im a broke college kid and will spend 400$ but no more than 500 thats my tops! now i have the SX3 semi auto and i heard the SXP feels the same and my dad loves my gun! now is there any other guns you guys would recomend, or no anything about the sxp you could tell me, my dad just got me into the sport at a young age and well im 20 now and want to repay him for the time i have left to be in the swamp with him!

#9 ·
hahah i cant give him mine and the only things he doesnt like about the sx3 is that its auto he gets trigger happy, and he raised me on a sinlge shot for 2 years then a pump for 2 before he even let me buy my own semi auto but hes a pump guy all thee way

#11 ·
I love my SXP, shoots great, I don't know if he will be shooting alot of 3.5's but it was the lighest recoil of a pump shooting 3.5s I've shot. ( Haven't shot them all, but quite a few) Cant go wrong with it, I will say it took a little getting used to as the inertia will activate the pump and remove the shell, really all you need to do is slide the pump forward ( Not the best explanation I apologize). Took about a box of shells to really get used to it and shoot doubles. GREAT CHOICE

#12 ·
yes i know that the gun dows that, and im sure he'll get used to it, and he usually just shoots 3 inch so im glad the recoil isnt bad, i know 3.5 out of my sx3 arnt bad either, i just hope he likes it i want to get it for his birthday in october so im goin g to take him there and try to get him to feel it without knowing im getting it for him

#13 ·
Why not another 870? You don't have to buy one of the newer plastic gutted POS's.

Your dad is obviously fond of the one he has. Transition will be virtually nil and you won't have to bust your budget.

#14 ·
well i dont know the 870 he has is a little long i honestly thinks his arms have shrunk from old age, age illogical as that sounds, the sx3 is a shorter stock for easy pull up and well the sxp is like the same i beleive but i that would deffinetly be my second choice but my dad has never owned a brand new gun..ever

#15 ·
Regardless on what you decide to buy. He'll love it simply because it came from you. :thumbsup:

#22 ·
mauserfan said:
My .02 would be to find an older 870 Wingmaster. You'll be $400 +-and have one of the good ones. .... Can't go wrong.
Best advice so far, that. :thumbsup: Winchester SXP is next best idea.

No Benelli, no Yildiz, no BPS....Dad sounds old-skool and that's good: get him something he's familiar with and likes. that would be Wingmaster or SX.

#26 ·
My dad gave me an 3" SXP he won at a DU banquet, I grew up on 870's so I think I can help a little lol. When they say smooth they mean SMOOTH!!! I've shot Wingmasters and Expresses and they're no comparison to how smooth the SXP pumps. There's also no slide catch when you pull the trigger like on the 870, as soon as the hammer falls that slide is moving. I didn't even realize I had pumped it, I'm sitting there trying to pull the slide to the rear thinking it was jammed but it was already to the rear waiting for me to push it back forward. 870's if you have back pressure on the slide you have to let up a little to release the catch in order to pump, a long time user will do this automatically without thinking about it. I used the SXP most of the time I got to hunt last season, and I was still having some learning curve issues. The other problem I had was that I ended up short shucking a couple times too trying to get used to that slide. It's a great gun, I love it, but it's definitely a different beast than the 870. The parts fit is good, mine's camo'd and it looks good, but I haven't seen one naked. It shoulders well and is pretty ergonomic.

Tough call, the first season with an SXP he might have some issues, but any shooter can overcome them with a little practice. 870's are also very good shotguns, and you can't go wrong with a Wingmaster. If he's OCD about rust, I'd stay away from a Nova, my buddies extractor spring rusted and he could never keep it from being rusty ever again. That's the only thing I've seen bad about a Nova, but I haven't shot one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.