pump shotgun

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Re: pump shotgun

Postby Jimmy82 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:14 pm

My dad gave me an 3" SXP he won at a DU banquet, I grew up on 870's so I think I can help a little lol. When they say smooth they mean SMOOTH!!! I've shot Wingmasters and Expresses and they're no comparison to how smooth the SXP pumps. There's also no slide catch when you pull the trigger like on the 870, as soon as the hammer falls that slide is moving. I didn't even realize I had pumped it, I'm sitting there trying to pull the slide to the rear thinking it was jammed but it was already to the rear waiting for me to push it back forward. 870's if you have back pressure on the slide you have to let up a little to release the catch in order to pump, a long time user will do this automatically without thinking about it. I used the SXP most of the time I got to hunt last season, and I was still having some learning curve issues. The other problem I had was that I ended up short shucking a couple times too trying to get used to that slide. It's a great gun, I love it, but it's definitely a different beast than the 870. The parts fit is good, mine's camo'd and it looks good, but I haven't seen one naked. It shoulders well and is pretty ergonomic.

Tough call, the first season with an SXP he might have some issues, but any shooter can overcome them with a little practice. 870's are also very good shotguns, and you can't go wrong with a Wingmaster. If he's OCD about rust, I'd stay away from a Nova, my buddies extractor spring rusted and he could never keep it from being rusty ever again. That's the only thing I've seen bad about a Nova, but I haven't shot one.
Jimmy82
hunter

Postby Quackersmacker21 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:30 pm

I'm sure you could debate the virtues of all the very fine shotguns here for a very long time. As someone who grew up using a Ithaca 37 and switched to an 870. I have Mossbergs but currently shoot a Benelli. My point is they are all different in operation, safeties are in different locations and slide releases and such. There is nothing more frustrating to try a snap shot only to realize the safety isn't where you thought it was... Old habits die hard. Whatever you decide try to keep the operating items in the same places he's used to .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Quackersmacker21
hunter

Postby mudpack » Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:11 pm

cootlover wrote:Mud be nice to the old man :smile:

I was....you should have seen what I wrote the first time! :yes:
mudpack
hunter

Postby Tgunz_64 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:43 pm

I've always preferred Winchester pumps over Remington. I'd go with the SXP myself.
Tgunz_64
hunter

Previous

Return to Shotgun Forum