Decision time. Help please

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Decision time. Help please

Postby Wallew » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:14 pm

Long story short is that I am in the market for a new duck gun.

My budget is pretty much $1000 but I would like to keep it under that if possible.

I have been window shopping for a few weeks and I have it down to a few choices. Well the tax return came the other day and I will be buying soon. Dicks is also having a pretty good sale this week.

The choices are as follows.
1) Beretta A300 in max4. Should be the obvious choice. Very well made and feels pretty good. This is a new model but Beretta has a great track record. I have never had a gas gun but regular maintenance is easy enough.

2)Bennelli Montefeltro with wood and blue finish. Because this gun will be a duck gun the finish will take a beating. The gun is at the top of my price range. The gun is beautifully put together. Down the road I could always get it dipped/parkerized and swap out the stock. It shouldered and felt better to me than pretty much all of the guns in and out of my price range.

3) Remington 11-87. I was barely considering this one until I held a few. They are pretty heavy but this one also just seems to feel pretty good in my hands. A lot of people knock the 11-87 but Remington has kept them in production this long for a reason.

4) Winchester SX3. I have read a lot of great things about this gun. I can't track one down to save my life. Today I called 8 different gun shops and couldn't find one to go look at.
Wallew
hunter

Re: Decision time. Help please

Postby Gj325 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:09 pm

Beretta would be my choice.
Gordon WPS
Gj325
hunter

Postby Jon Bergren » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:15 pm

Look at The Rem Versamax. Ned S
Jon Bergren
hunter

Postby hero » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:25 pm

I've got an A300. About 3k rounds without any issues.
hero
hunter

Postby Frylock » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:51 pm

Montefeltro is now available in a synthetic version as well.
Frylock
hunter

Postby DuckManClyde » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:59 pm

Montefeltro
If offended, and or irritated with the above post, please refer to my caring face :hi:
DuckManClyde
hunter

Postby Rebel » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:13 am

Wallew wrote:Long story short is that I am in the market for a new duck gun.

My budget is pretty much $1000 but I would like to keep it under that if possible.

I have been window shopping for a few weeks and I have it down to a few choices. Well the tax return came the other day and I will be buying soon. Dicks is also having a pretty good sale this week.

The choices are as follows.
1) Beretta A300 in max4. Should be the obvious choice. Very well made and feels pretty good. This is a new model but Beretta has a great track record. I have never had a gas gun but regular maintenance is easy enough.

2)Bennelli Montefeltro with wood and blue finish. Because this gun will be a duck gun the finish will take a beating. The gun is at the top of my price range. The gun is beautifully put together. Down the road I could always get it dipped/parkerized and swap out the stock. It shouldered and felt better to me than pretty much all of the guns in and out of my price range.

3) Remington 11-87. I was barely considering this one until I held a few. They are pretty heavy but this one also just seems to feel pretty good in my hands. A lot of people knock the 11-87 but Remington has kept them in production this long for a reason.

4) Winchester SX3. I have read a lot of great things about this gun. I can't track one down to save my life. Today I called 8 different gun shops and couldn't find one to go look at.

I think you answered you answered you own question. If that's the one that feels best, get that one.
Rebel
hunter

Postby KRB » Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:01 am

The monty is my favorite shotgun. If you need the camo A300 would be my second pick.
KRB
hunter

Postby creole » Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:33 am

Winchester superx3.i can get the camo here for 1000 or all black for 899

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
creole
hunter

Postby Wallew » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:40 am

Thanks for the feedback.

I have looked at the versamax. It felt ok in my hands. I have handled a few of them. I wasn't really happy with the quality for $1000. Internals seemed pretty rough compared to everything else of comparable price. Also two of the ones I have looked at the forearms were a little loose. I didn't like that at all. The 11-87s I looked at seemed to be better quality even though they are cheaper.

Although the A300 didn't feel as good as the Montefeltro it is adjustable. So with a little time I could probably get it to fit real well. I also like that is made in the USA. It is also $300 cheaper than the Montefeltro so that is $300 i could put towards the Creekboat/ aquapod I am looking to pick up.

My local gunshop said that they can order in a SX3. They will let me have first dibs on it. If I don't like it they will just put it on the rack and sell it to someone else. Something tells me there is a reason I can't seem to find one new or used.

The Montefeltro. It is pretty sweet. I'm just afraid of what about 50 days a season hunting waterfowl will do to the finishes. But then again that's what gives a gun character.

No matter what I end up getting it will be a lot nicer than the Stoeger 2000 I have been using. It has been a great gun with hardly any issues. It's just time to upgrade
Wallew
hunter

Postby vance80 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:08 am

If you don't mind 3" shells the Beretta is a great gun for the money. I bought the a300 in camo for 695 before taxes and I am real happy with it. Sx3 is also a fine gun and was my second choice only due to price was 300 bucks more. But I am thinking a sx3 will be in my safe this year also because well, I want one of them too. :grooving:

Sorry but 1187s are not in the same league.
vance80
hunter

Postby Ukcatshunter » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:56 am

Beretta A300. I picked up the same gun two weeks ago. Easy to clean. Not sure why people bring up the "easier to clean" card. Super simple. Can go 100's of rounds bw cleaning. Then just scrub piston and barrell. Lube the slide

Got mine for $668 before tax. They have dunces raised it to $688.
Ukcatshunter
hunter

Postby EvanSchmoldt » Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:04 pm

I love my sx3 it was $850 new from the local gun shop in black and gray. 3.5 inch love it never had an issue
EvanSchmoldt
hunter

Postby surfrat » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:53 pm

I would buy a used SBE Benelli. Easy choice.
surfrat
hunter

Postby Frylock » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:20 pm

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1394169623.808559.jpg

Can be had for well below MSRP.
Frylock
hunter

Postby Luvbowhuntn » Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:00 am

I think you answered your own question as well. You said the Monte felt best and that's before any adjusting of the shims. I say go with it because by how you're talking I can almost bet you'll always being wondering how well you woulda liked that Benelli if you hadn't bought a different gun

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
Real cowboys say the party never ends and the road goes on and on
Luvbowhuntn
hunter

Postby Tgunz_64 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:15 pm

Under $1000? My first choice would be the beretta a300. Own an older 391 and love it. My second choice would be the sx3. Then the Monty. Basically going cheapest to most expensive cause you have a budget. All good guns. I'd say whichever one fits best and go with it. Good luck!
Tgunz_64
hunter

Postby nitram » Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:44 pm

Luvbowhuntn wrote:I think you answered your own question as well. You said the Monte felt best and that's before any adjusting of the shims. I say go with it because by how you're talking I can almost bet you'll always being wondering how well you woulda liked that Benelli if you hadn't bought a different gun

....and buyers remorse sucks.
Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or f-ing beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.- Al Swearengen
nitram
hunter

Postby wjarrell » Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:33 pm

Of the four choices I would pick the SX3 everyday of the week.
wjarrell
hunter

Postby cannon » Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:44 pm

For the mobley, I'd blow off every choice you've listed, buy a gently used beretta al 390 for $500, and then buy another one for fun. Will kick less than any gun you listed, will last you a good 30 yrs, and will be as reliable as any gun you'll ever own. No way I'd drop that extra $500 to get something designated as "NIB".
Smell that? Smells like sumthin died in here.
cannon
hunter

Location: At the stop sign in the ditch at Byers Farm, unlocking the gate.

Postby Yuchi1 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:28 pm

cannon wrote:For the mobley, I'd blow off every choice you've listed, buy a gently used beretta al 390 for $500, and then buy another one for fun. Will kick less than any gun you listed, will last you a good 30 yrs, and will be as reliable as any gun you'll ever own. No way I'd drop that extra $500 to get something designated as "NIB".

X2 :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Sent from my Sumerian tablets

Does the number of bands claimed simply mean you have an Ebay account?

FSH Pro Staffer

High Potentate, NSSB (no spinning shotcup brotherhood)
Yuchi1
hunter

Postby nitram » Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:05 pm

Yuchi1 wrote:
cannon wrote:For the mobley, I'd blow off every choice you've listed, buy a gently used beretta al 390 for $500, and then buy another one for fun. Will kick less than any gun you listed, will last you a good 30 yrs, and will be as reliable as any gun you'll ever own. No way I'd drop that extra $500 to get something designated as "NIB".

X2 :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Another thread where this was mentioned.....

viewtopic.php?f=45&t=444169#p4396585
Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or f-ing beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.- Al Swearengen
nitram
hunter

Postby buckmeister » Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:34 pm

Of the three you mentioned, sx3.
"Give me liberty or give me death"
buckmeister
hunter

Postby Wallew » Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:09 pm

Thanks for all the responses.

I am pretty much down to two choices. The A300 and the Montefeltro.

I still haven't been able to track down a SX3. I have stopped at or called pretty much every gun shop in South Jersey and there are none around.

I having been stopping by gun shops for the last couple of weeks to check things out and see what is in the used racks. As far as used goes it has been pretty much a bust. I've seen a lot used but nothing to write home about. The few nice used guns I would be interested in are not much cheaper than buying new. For those prices I will buy new and get a warranty.

The sale ends at Dicks tomorrow. I can get the A300 in max4 for $700 and the Montefeltro in wood/blued for $900 until tomorrow then the prices go back up. My local gun shop can order the Montefeltro in black synthetic for $1030, it is a 4 week lead time.

Nitram the link you posted is to a thead I started in the New Jersey forum. I figured I would post in both places to get more opinions. It worked
Wallew
hunter

Postby Luvbowhuntn » Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:50 pm

I'm not downing the A300 in any way. But that's a relatively new model and Beretta's entry level gun. I'd have to wonder if the bugs are worked out and if the quality is on par with the Montefeltro. Just my opinion because every new model of gun has some kinks that get ironed out after release no matter who the gun manufacturer is

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
Real cowboys say the party never ends and the road goes on and on
Luvbowhuntn
hunter

Next

Return to Shotgun Forum