gas or inertia?

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

gas or inertia?

Postby caducker94 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:41 am

I know each man has his own opinion but what are some pros/cons to either.
caducker94
hunter

Re: gas or inertia?

Postby copterdoc » Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:41 am

Gas pros. Softer recoil. Easy to tune to optimal bolt speed/function with your choice of load.
Gas cons. It poops on itself. The gasses that operates the action contain dirty carbon and unburnt powder that is sent back into the gun.

Inertia pros. They shoot as clean as a fixed breach or pump. All of the dirty gasses are sent out the end of the barrel.
Inertia cons. They kick almost as hard as a fixed breach or pump. Difficult to adjust to match your load of choice. So, you are more limited in ammo choice due to being forced to shoot what the "gun likes".
copterdoc
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:09 am

Ether one would give you a lifetime of enjoyment shooting ammo with good round shot as long as you stayed away from
the hype of Designer Loads in long Gold or Green Hulls ! Gas or Inertia guns that would fit you and are to your liking kick
less with well balanced loads as long as your gun / choke proves (this) to you on the patterning board . Ether one , is built
to be easy to clean and you would enjoy doing it , when you know it was built to be adjusted for you ! They're Both Good ,
just some better than others ! :thumbsup:
3200 man
hunter

Postby 60's hunter » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:12 am

A inertia gun will balance totally different with more of the weight between your hands & there is no question about their reliability day in & day out in a dirty duck blind.
The gas-----if ya find one that swings & feels right, then keep it real clean & enjoy it.
60's hunter
hunter

Postby z51 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:01 am

I shoot all gas guns. The only Inertia gun I ever owned was a SBE. Between the recoil, the rusty action spring, and the Benelli click, I got tired of it quick. The new ones may be better. BTW, gas guns don't shoot dirty if you use a clean burning powder.
Last edited by z51 on Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
z51
hunter

Postby Ukcatshunter » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:03 am

I shoot a lot of clays so opted for a gas due to recoil.

Are you going to upland hunt? Walking long distances with a heavy gas gun may not be ideal.

Some say inertia guns are easier to clean. But is an extra 5 minutes to clean a deal breaker? I swab the barrell and clean the piston every few hundred rounds. Takes ten minutes. Soak overnight. Wipe. Reassemble. Put in case.
Ukcatshunter
hunter

Postby nitram » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:24 am

When my life depended on it I chose inertia after a pump. 870, M1-Super-90, and a M-2.

In the blind it's been a combination of both. 870, 1100, SP-10, A390, Pintail, M2, SBE, SBE2, and A400.

To say that gas systems have become more reliable is an understatement. Just look at the recent USMC contract for the Benelli M-4.

But it all boils down to how well you maintain either system. I've been a Remington armorer since '89, Benelli/Beretta since '91. Almost every malfunction I've ever repaired (90%) has been due to LOM or outright negligence. Just because it has synthetic stocks and a non-blued finish doesn't mean it doesn't need a little TLC.
Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or f-ing beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.- Al Swearengen
nitram
hunter

Postby Lights-Out » Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:47 pm

my buddy has a stoeger and i know there not the best gun but benellui does make them and and 2 3/4 inch load wont eject all the time, with the recoil reducer in, you take it out works fine, but then with it our 3.5 inch load ruins your body. I have the sx3 ill never go away from the gas, it does get a little dirty but if you maintain it, which you should it over 1000 dollars then id go with gas.
Lights-Out
hunter

Postby Yuchi1 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:29 pm

nitram wrote:When my life depended on it I chose inertia after a pump. 870, M1-Super-90, and a M-2.

In the blind it's been a combination of both. 870, 1100, SP-10, A390, Pintail, M2, SBE, SBE2, and A400.

To say that gas systems have become more reliable is an understatement. Just look at the recent USMC contract for the Benelli M-4.

But it all boils down to how well you maintain either system. I've been a Remington armorer since '89, Benelli/Beretta since '91. Almost every malfunction I've ever repaired (90%) has been due to LOM or outright negligence. Just because it has synthetic stocks and a non-blued finish doesn't mean it doesn't need a little TLC.

Marty,

Shame on you! Spit Dr. Pepper all over the keyboard when I read your sig line! :fingerpt:
Sent from my Sumerian tablets

Does the number of bands claimed simply mean you have an Ebay account?

FSH Pro Staffer

High Potentate, NSSB (no spinning shotcup brotherhood)
Yuchi1
hunter

Postby nitram » Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:40 pm

I'll gladly buy you another the next time I'm over east.
Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or f-ing beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.- Al Swearengen
nitram
hunter

Postby KRB » Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:07 pm

With Beretta or Benelli buy the one that feels best to you. Both good gun's
KRB
hunter

Postby BurninPowder » Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:08 am

nitram wrote:To say that gas systems have become more reliable is an understatement. Just look at the recent USMC contract for the Benelli M-4.

Funny you mention that. The gas system for the M4 is almost identical to that in the new Versamax with modification for various shell lengths of course. My VM has been fault free for about 2 years with countless rounds of all kinds. So I agree gas systems are becoming more reliable. This type gas system is IMO the most advanced on the market at this time.
BurninPowder
hunter

Postby C M Wings » Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:02 am

Less filling... tastes great....

I'm getting older... I don't care for recoil so much anymore - so I shoot gas guns.

I deep clean them once a season whether they need it or not. Otherwise, swab the barrel, drop and blow out the trigger. Nothing more or less than I ever did with an inertia gun. Never had a cycling problem with either. Inertia guns are lighter to carry - marginally. They all get heavy after a while. That said I run and gun turkeys with an SP10 - haven't minded yet.

Gas guns are far more forgiving of ammo - no question. That, in the end, tips it for me.

Ducks
Ducks
C M Wings
hunter

Postby Tgunz_64 » Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:06 am

Find the gun you like, shoulder it and if it fits well buy it! Gas or inertia it should work just fine!
Tgunz_64
hunter

Postby mudpack » Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:14 am

Ukcatshunter wrote:Some say inertia guns are easier to clean. But is an extra 5 minutes to clean a deal breaker? I swab the barrell and clean the piston every few hundred rounds. Takes ten minutes. Soak overnight. Wipe. Reassemble. Put in case.

Man, I must be doing something wrong. I cleaned my SX3 yesterday after putting 325 rounds through it on Thursday. Took me just over an hour. This is disassembling and cleaning everything but the magazine spring and recoil spring. (those come out annually) It takes me 10 minutes just to get the carbon off the magazine tube under the piston...... :mad:

And I have the blessing of a solvent tank and 120psi shop air....both of which speed up the process immeasurably.
Last edited by mudpack on Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mudpack
hunter

Postby z51 » Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:06 am

When I get carbon buildup on the tube I put some good nitro bore solvent on a q-tip and dab it on. Let it soak a little while and go lightly with OOOO steel wool. While that is soaking do the rest of the gun. Takes me less than 15 minutes if I don't pull the action spring. The mag spring is quick.
z51
hunter

Postby Ukcatshunter » Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:12 pm

There's a YouTube video from Beretta showing them cleaning the A300. Its less than 5 minutes long. Soak the piston over night. Sorry your Winchester is a PIA. I also was considering that gun.
Ukcatshunter
hunter

Postby mudpack » Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:00 pm

MY SX3 has an aluminum mag tube, so I don't want to touch it with steel wool. I use WD40 and NeverDull (a cotton batting polishing material). I'm very methodical about by gun cleaning, I know.
I looked at the vid mentioned. The disassembly, cleaning, and reassembly was edited for brevity and the "cleaning" was a quick wipe-down with rag; it wasn't representative of the time and steps required in reality.
I guess I don't feel so bad about my own time after all.
mudpack
hunter

Postby Ukcatshunter » Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:54 pm

. Granted it was a quick wipe down. But nonetheless the gun comes apart easy to access the parts to clean. I think that was the idea behind it all. Yes I agree you can't just wipe a piston. But the gun breaks down that easy. Let the parts soak in clp overnight. Wipe clean. Lube per factory. Run shooters choice through barrel. Run patches etc. I do take brushes to piston as impossible to get every nook and cranny clean. But literally it takes 5 minutes to have it apart.
Ukcatshunter
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:20 am

Try to find one that never misses. Gas or inertia don't matter if the gun kills everything you point it at.
Fit matters most.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved

Postby KRB » Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:54 am

AB is right. Can't hit if it don't fit.
KRB
hunter

Postby z51 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:36 pm

mudpack wrote:MY SX3 has an aluminum mag tube, so I don't want to touch it with steel wool. I use WD40 and NeverDull (a cotton batting polishing material). I'm very methodical about by gun cleaning, I know.
I looked at the vid mentioned. The disassembly, cleaning, and reassembly was edited for brevity and the "cleaning" was a quick wipe-down with rag; it wasn't representative of the time and steps required in reality.
I guess I don't feel so bad about my own time after all.

Right, the SX2 is stainless steel. Anyway the key is the nitro solvent. WD 40 won't do it, although it's good for getting wad residue from inside the barrel. On my SA-08 I use bore solvent and a coarse cloth on the aluminum tube. IMO it's easier than the 11-87 or SX-1 or Beretta to clean.
z51
hunter

Postby rem1100pro » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:32 am

I hunt with 7 different hunters. Two shoot SBE IIs, two shoot SX3s, one Rem 1100, one Rem VM and a Beretta A400.

The only guy that shoots 3 1/2 inch shells on a regular basis is the Rem VM hunter. All of the other have tried and decided that the recoil was affecting their shooting. As far as reliability, the inertia guns have had more non fires than the rest. The Rem 1100 shooter has used this gun since new and has absolutely no issues but he does clean his gun after a heavy days shooting or very bad conditions. He only uses the gun for duck hunting but hunts fairly heavily through all those years. The SX3 has issues loading 3 1/2 shells in the magazine and is very light so even being a gas operated gun has heavy recoil with the heavier loads. The other SX3 owner may shoot more shells through his gun than all the other combined but he uses it for all the shooting he does which includes several weeks shooting snows in North Dakota. He has no issue with his gun and loves the reliability. He thought at first that the aluminum components may have less life but this has not been the case yet. The purchase price and light weight (he carries the gun in the field for snows) were his deciding factors. He could not be happier. The Beretta hunter has only used the A400 one year but has had no issues and likes the gun but does not shoot 3 1/2 shells due to the recoil. I have shot both the Rem VM and Beretta A400 and both have the least felt recoil. I think the Rem VM has slightly less felt recoil just due to it being the slightly heavier gun.

The guns as they all come from the factory have very different fits. The Rem1100 and Rem VM have a very similar fit as do the SX3s. The Beretta and Benelli are the furthest from the old style of gun fit. Both Benelli owners had trouble hitting practice targets with their new guns but after some fixed target shooting adjustments were made to their stocks and everything was to their owner's likings. Fortunately Benelli included the required shims to fit the stocks to their new owners.

I would personally shoot any of these guns for duck hunting but if you have any issues with felt recoil stay clear of the inertia guns.
rem1100pro
hunter

Postby MNGunner » Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:11 pm

I've never seen any data that shows gas guns are less reliable than recoil guns. As a matter of fact, militaries that actually do scientific testing of their equipment (and rely on it for their lives and their countries survival--AND in the worst conditions) use gas operated rifles almost exclusively:

M-4/M-16
M-14
M1 Garand
FN FAL
AK-47
Steyr AUG

I've also never experienced this personally.
MNGunner
hunter

Postby mudpack » Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:32 pm

Ukcatshunter wrote: Sorry your Winchester is a PIA. I also was considering that gun.

I must have given you the wrong impression; the SX3 is anything but a pain to take apart, clean, and re-assemble. It takes me just a long to clean my Brownings, my Beretta, and my Remingtons.
I'll try the nitro bore solvent on the magazine tube. :thumbsup:
mudpack
hunter

Next

Return to Shotgun Forum