gas or inertia?

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Re: gas or inertia?

Postby Rick Hall » Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:14 pm

MNGunner wrote:I've never seen any data that shows gas guns are less reliable than recoil guns. As a matter of fact, militaries that actually do scientific testing of their equipment (and rely on it for their lives and their countries survival--AND in the worst conditions) use gas operated rifles almost exclusively:

M-4/M-16
M-14
M1 Garand
FN FAL
AK-47
Steyr AUG

I've also never experienced this personally.

I can't imagine the military even looking at an inertia gun, as it has to be properly shouldered for the action to function. And, crazy as it may sound to someone who's not been in his boots, the American fighting man has been know to keep his head down while firing his weapon over the top of cover. Same would hold true if you wanted a self defense weapon. You'd want it to operate from the hip, around corners, whatever.

Duck guns are an entirely different matter. I use mine daily in season and seldom clean them and have had far better luck with Benelli's inertia system than the gas operated guns I've owned.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby cannon » Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:29 pm

z51 wrote:
mudpack wrote:MY SX3 has an aluminum mag tube, so I don't want to touch it with steel wool. I use WD40 and NeverDull (a cotton batting polishing material). I'm very methodical about by gun cleaning, I know.
I looked at the vid mentioned. The disassembly, cleaning, and reassembly was edited for brevity and the "cleaning" was a quick wipe-down with rag; it wasn't representative of the time and steps required in reality.
I guess I don't feel so bad about my own time after all.

Right, the SX2 is stainless steel. Anyway the key is the nitro solvent. WD 40 won't do it, although it's good for getting wad residue from inside the barrel. On my SA-08 I use bore solvent and a coarse cloth on the aluminum tube. IMO it's easier than the 11-87 or SX-1 or Beretta to clean.

I save cleaning the magazine tube and gas piston for the once-a-year cleaning when I pull the magazine retaining ring's o-ring, gas piston, return spring, etc. The "cleaning" that is so necessary to gas guns includes popping the bolt out, wiping it and the receiver down, oiling the rails, and swabbing the barrel. The black figure-8 on the mag tube is harmless, and just doesn't bother me.

For those insinuating that this arduous "cleaning" process requires more than that during regular hunting season, it's a misleading statement. Don't get me wrong, meticulous cleaning is a good habit, but it certainly ain't a necessity for reliable function out of modern browning, Winchester, beretta, and Remington gas guns. I have a buddy that bought a walley world version of a 390 in 2006. Only "cleaning" that gun has ever had is its annual squirt down with CLP on opening morning before hours come in. He literally doesn't know how to take the gun apart.

Takes me no longer to keep a gas gun functional than it ever did one of my benellis. And when I finally, meticulously, clean my guns, it's because I want to. Doesn't bother me if it takes 3 hours.
Smell that? Smells like sumthin died in here.
cannon
hunter

Location: At the stop sign in the ditch at Byers Farm, unlocking the gate.

Postby MNGunner » Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:36 pm

Rick Hall wrote:
MNGunner wrote:I've never seen any data that shows gas guns are less reliable than recoil guns. As a matter of fact, militaries that actually do scientific testing of their equipment (and rely on it for their lives and their countries survival--AND in the worst conditions) use gas operated rifles almost exclusively:

M-4/M-16
M-14
M1 Garand
FN FAL
AK-47
Steyr AUG

I've also never experienced this personally.

I can't imagine the military even looking at an inertia gun, as it has to be properly shouldered for the action to function. And, crazy as it may sound to someone who's not been in his boots, the American fighting man has been know to keep his head down while firing his weapon over the top of cover. Same would hold true if you wanted a self defense weapon. You'd want it to operate from the hip, around corners, whatever.

Duck guns are an entirely different matter. I use mine daily in season and seldom clean them and have had far better luck with Benelli's inertia system than the gas operated guns I've owned.

In the military, your gun must function after being submersed in salt water, in sand, in jungle mud, in the arctic.

Of the guys I hunt with, the only guy that curses his semi-auto is a guy that runs an SBE2. My gas guns have never given me any trouble. Does that prove gas is better than inertia? Nope.
MNGunner
hunter

Postby Jon Bergren » Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:31 pm

Wait 'til you have neck surgery, then you will shoot the gas autos. However I still shoot 2 3/4 inchers in my 870 but no more 3 1/2 inchers. Ned S
Jon Bergren
hunter

Postby TomKat » Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:43 am

I have both guns.

I much prefer my M2 over my Al390.
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby Theircommited10 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:15 pm

aunt betty wrote:Try to find one that never misses. Gas or inertia don't matter if the gun kills everything you point it at.
Fit matters most.

I agree . Take care of your guns and your guns will take care of you .

I enjoy my SBE as well as my older Remington's . Have to maintain my gas guns more than my inertia guns however .

-Gary
Theircommited10
DHC Sponsor

Postby aunt betty » Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:56 pm

I own a AL390st and not sure I agree with the man who said it must be properly shouldered for it to work.
I've shot mine from the hip etc. I suspect he is parroting something someone else said.

Gary, what kind of gas-gun do you have?
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved

Postby KRB » Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:22 pm

aunt betty wrote:I own a AL390st and not sure I agree with the man who said it must be properly shouldered for it to work.
I've shot mine from the hip etc. I suspect he is parroting something someone else said.

I think Rick was talking about inertia guns AB that other B gun.
KRB
hunter

Postby thomashamm2 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:22 pm

nitram wrote:When my life depended on it I chose inertia after a pump. 870, M1-Super-90, and a M-2.

In the blind it's been a combination of both. 870, 1100, SP-10, A390, Pintail, M2, SBE, SBE2, and A400.

To say that gas systems have become more reliable is an understatement. Just look at the recent USMC contract for the Benelli M-4.

But it all boils down to how well you maintain either system. I've been a Remington armorer since '89, Benelli/Beretta since '91. Almost every malfunction I've ever repaired (90%) has been due to LOM or outright negligence. Just because it has synthetic stocks and a non-blued finish doesn't mean it doesn't need a little TLC.

i agree but with USMC adopting the benelli m-4 i mean marines keep there guns so clean they can eat off of them so i dont think that is a practicle measure of showing that
thomashamm2
hunter

Postby copterdoc » Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:54 pm

thomashamm2 wrote:.......i mean marines keep there guns so clean they can eat off of them so i dont think that is a practicle measure of showing that
Marines will eat off just about anything.

And almost all of their guns are gas-operated.
copterdoc
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:39 am

KRB wrote:
aunt betty wrote:I own a AL390st and not sure I agree with the man who said it must be properly shouldered for it to work.

I think Rick was talking about inertia guns AB that other B gun.

Yes, I was making the point that what the military uses has little bearing in this gas vs inertia duck gun discussion because the inertia gun will not cycle without something relatively solid behind it. Gas operation is the military's only really viable semi or auto loading option.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby z51 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:36 am

Anyone who tried a gun like a SX 2 gas gun next to a SBE inertia gun with 3 1/2" steel, or heavy 3" Turkey loads, will tell you there is a huge difference. The SBE will cross your eyes for ya'.
z51
hunter

Postby KRB » Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:15 pm

A400 is like shooting a 20ga compared to sbe2.
KRB
hunter

Previous

Return to Shotgun Forum