Surface rust 870 20ga

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Surface rust 870 20ga

Postby J-Mo720 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:03 pm

I picked up my 20ga from my parents house after it had been at there house for a few years got it home open the case only to find light surface rust on the barrel and all over the receiver. How do I go about getting rid of this rust without ruining the blueing? (It's the matte blueing)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
J-Mo720
hunter

Re: Surface rust 870 20ga

Postby 60's hunter » Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:38 pm

My opinion is to not worry about saving the finish, but to get rid of the rust is the priority.Use a non-toxic rust neutralizer, and then take it from there. There are a number of options out there of putting a new surface on it if you need to.
60's hunter
hunter

Postby Baymen Moe » Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:06 pm

Once you get the rust off, don't store it in a case for very long. Most likely the cause of the rust in the first place.
Baymen Moe
hunter

Postby BurninPowder » Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:54 pm

Baymen Moe wrote:Once you get the rust off, don't store it in a case for very long. Most likely the cause of the rust in the first place.

X2. If its not too bad you can probably get away with a heavy coat of oil and some elbow grease. Then coat it again and leave it. There is no such thing as too much oil on the external surfaces of the Express model 870's. I own two... keep em soaked and you'll have no trouble. :thumbsup:
BurninPowder
hunter

Postby J-Mo720 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:16 am

Thanks for the help guys I got most of it off with oil and a plastic brush. Just looks kind of discolored in a few spots but you have to look close to see it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
J-Mo720
hunter

Postby steelshotshooter » Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:58 am

Put a couple of squirts of oil on a 0000 steel wool pad and buff the barrel and receiver with it. It will not harm the finish under it and it will safely remove the rust...

Once you have all the rust removed, wipe the gun down good a couple of times to make sure you have removed all traces of rust...

You can store your gun in a gun case by putting the gun in a plastic trash bag, just covering the barrel and receiver but, leaving the stock uncovered...

The reason guns rust in a foam lined gun case, is because the foam acts like a sponge and pulls all the oil of metal and when humidity is present, it's naturally going to rust....
By HIS stripes, we are healed...
steelshotshooter
hunter

Postby Jimmy82 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:10 am

I would hesitate to store in a plastic bag. If you didn't drench the gun in oil all it would do is trap moisture inside the bag. Oil is also subject to gravity and the more you put on the more will flow down onto the stock and into the back of the receiver. Not a huge issue but it makes for more prep when you want to take the gun shooting. If you have any thing close to high ambient humidity the best thing you can do is just give it a weekly wipe down, and clean after every shooting. When I was an armorer we had an M2 machine gun that we used during an summer rotation in LA, the guys covered it in oil and stuck it in a plastic bag to ship it back to NC. When it got there it looked like it came off the Titanic. It only spent about a week in the shipping container.
Jimmy82
hunter

Postby mudpack » Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:29 pm

steelshotshooter wrote:Put a couple of squirts of oil on a 0000 steel wool pad and buff the barrel and receiver with it. It will not harm the finish ......
The reason guns rust in a foam lined gun case, is because the foam acts like a sponge and pulls all the oil of metal...

You have some interesting theories, 'shooter.
mudpack
hunter

Return to Shotgun Forum