Eyes open or one eye closed

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Eyes open or one eye closed

Postby Dirtroadkid89 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:46 pm

I recently tried shooting both eyes opened and really liked it. At first it was awkward but after a box of shells those clays started breakin. Which way do you guys prefer?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
Dirtroadkid89
hunter

Re: Eyes open or one eye closed

Postby Baymen Moe » Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:07 pm

Both eyes open from the get go, 35 years ago.
Baymen Moe
hunter

Postby mudpack » Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:41 pm

If you aren't cross-dominate (vision-wise), then both eyes open will help you become a better shooter.
I forced myself to change from one-eyed to being a two-eyed shooter a long time ago and wish I'd done it sooner.
mudpack
hunter

Postby Yuchi1 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:51 pm

LE dominate, shot RH for ~48 seasons w/one eye closed. Four seasons ago, as my shooting was really starting to go downhill, acquired a 16 ga. Elsie and went to the wobbletrap range one PM (alone) and shot a round LH w/both eyes open just for kicks & grins. Broke 18/25 and have never "looked" back. Shooting percentage that first waterfowl season went from ~44% to ~80%. Shudda done it a long time ago. Why fight the way God made you?
Sent from my Sumerian tablets

Does the number of bands claimed simply mean you have an Ebay account?

FSH Pro Staffer

High Potentate, NSSB (no spinning shotcup brotherhood)
Yuchi1
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:36 pm

That's the way I like looking at women , with both eyes open and sometimes popped out a little on some so , I foundout
by not closing one eye I could get more Dates and this followed through with my shooting too !

Both eyes opened will put you on target better as you'll have better visual perception of the target ......Lady's :lol3: :lol3:
3200 man
hunter

Postby Leaky-NY » Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:49 pm

Both for me it gives a better view of target as you swing. The only time I use one eye is when I am shooting a sxs and don't know why I do it with that type of gun.

Leaky
If it aint ducks, Dogs or boats I cant talk now!
Leaky-NY
hunter

Postby KRB » Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:42 pm

Good that you tried that yourself. Any shooting instructor would have insisted you keep both eye's open. The truth is the better you see the bird or target the better your chance of hitting it. Work on hard focus. Focus on the duck's head or a shiny spot on the clay target. Let's your sub conscious take care of lead and keep you from looking at the end of your barrel and measuring lead.
KRB
hunter

Postby copterdoc » Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:45 pm

Both eyes open.

If you use a reflex sight, eye dominance instantly becomes irrelevant.
copterdoc
hunter

Postby War Wagon » Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:20 pm

Both eyes open for Rifle, Pistol and Shotgun. .... :thumbsup:
War Wagon
hunter

Postby buckmeister » Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:24 pm

copterdoc wrote:Both eyes open.

Please elaborate on this, I have to shut my left eye partially to shoot as I shoot right handed and am left eyed dominant. If I don't shut my left eye partially I see two barrels. do you use a reflex sight for wing shooting?
"Give me liberty or give me death"
buckmeister
hunter

Postby copterdoc » Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:37 pm

buckmeister wrote:
copterdoc wrote:Both eyes open.

Please elaborate on this, I have to shut my left eye partially to shoot as I shoot right handed and am left eyed dominant. If I don't shut my left eye partially I see two barrels. do you use a reflex sight for wing shooting?

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=198888
copterdoc
hunter

Postby Duck_Stank » Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:25 am

Is it bad I don't know what I do? Really can't tell, its so much natural reaction for me clay or hunting wise.
Master of Reality
Duck_Stank
hunter

Postby Yuchi1 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:31 am

Both eyes open will allow for maximum field of view and maximun depth perception.

IF...your shotgun fits you and with both eyes open, there is really no need for any contraptions strapped onto the barrel. Heck, many Brits even remove the bead from the barrel and as a group, they're probably the best wingshots in the world.
Sent from my Sumerian tablets

Does the number of bands claimed simply mean you have an Ebay account?

FSH Pro Staffer

High Potentate, NSSB (no spinning shotcup brotherhood)
Yuchi1
hunter

Postby mudpack » Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:36 am

Duck_Stank wrote:Is it bad I don't know what I do? Really can't tell, its so much natural reaction for me clay or hunting wise.

If you don't miss, don't change anything.
mudpack
hunter

Postby KRB » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:21 am

Yuchi1 wrote:Both eyes open will allow for maximum field of view and maximun depth perception.

IF...your shotgun fits you and with both eyes open, there is really no need for any contraptions strapped onto the barrel. Heck, many Brits even remove the bead from the barrel and as a group, they're probably the best wingshots in the world.

My friend Anthony Matarase Jr. one of the best shooters in the country put the smallest brass bead I've seen on a shotgun and blacked it out for that reason.
KRB
hunter

Postby uglymug » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:53 am

I'm left eye dominant and shoot right handed. Wish I had started shooting left from the get-go. I average about 22-24 out 25 clays, which is pretty good for hunting. However, if I ever wanted to become competitive as a clay shooter I know that I would need to learn lefty.
uglymug
hunter

Postby DoubleDutchChuck » Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:40 pm

For many years, I shot with both eyes open, until the butt hit my shoulder, and then closed the left eye. (I always shoot "low gun" because I'm more interested in practicing actual hunting shots then worrying about any scores. And I've NEVER had a pre-mounted gun while hunting.) Shooting in this fashion, I actually shot pretty good and went to "B" class easily, shooting registered sporting clays. Then, after adjusting all my guns to a proper "fit", I started shooting with both eyes open, all thru the shooting process. Should have done that years sooner. Although I haven't registed w/ the NSCA for a few years, I still shoot in many of the tournaments, in hunter class. My scores are as good as those in the AA class and I figure that's plenty good, as I'm still shooting from the low gun position, while everyone else shoots pre-mounted. Shooting with both eyes open allows a better view of the shooting field and a clearer view of the expected target, be it clays or a duck hunting situation.
"Listen to those Whispering Wings"
DoubleDutchChuck
hunter

Postby jpari » Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:29 pm

Both eyes open. I was taught that this was the proper method from the day I began shooting 35+ years ago.
jpari
hunter

Postby Jimmy82 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:37 pm

Another for both with shotguns/reflex sights. Had to break the habit of closing one shooting trap back in high school. I'll still close one for iron sight rifles or telescopic sights. My eyes changed dominance a couple times before I started wearing glasses, that got interesting.
Jimmy82
hunter

Postby DuckManClyde » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:04 pm

RH gun, shooting LH. Left eye open, right eye closed. Trap season is coming up, and im definitely going to try shooting with both eyes open. If i do see an improvement (desperately needed btw) than ill keep at it.
If offended, and or irritated with the above post, please refer to my caring face :hi:
DuckManClyde
hunter

Postby DuckManClyde » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:04 pm

RH gun, shooting LH. Left eye open, right eye closed. Trap season is coming up, and im definitely going to try shooting with both eyes open. If i do see an improvement (desperately needed btw) than ill keep at it.
If offended, and or irritated with the above post, please refer to my caring face :hi:
DuckManClyde
hunter

Postby Theircommited10 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:31 pm

Both eyes open for sure !
Theircommited10
DHC Sponsor

Postby 3200 man » Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:28 am

I was told to keep both eyes open while shooting a shotgun by an Old man that also said ,

If you were unfortunate to have lost an eye or your vision was impaired he could understand using one eye but , this was
a handi-cap you can't do anything about and for it to work OK , that eye would serve you better if it was placed in the middle
of your fore-head so , there is no reason to not use both your eyes if you have them as the Old Boy upstairs intended 2 of them
would be Better ! :tongue: :fingerhead:
3200 man
hunter

Postby kcwellington » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:20 am

When I was learning to shoot, my grand dad would always tell me "If you're shooting with one eye closed, you're aiming not pointing. Point and shoot!" If your gun fits you, look at what you're shooting at pull the trigger.
kcwellington
hunter

Postby Nelliboy2 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:47 am

Both open.
If money talks; then I got a lot to say i'm on the grind trying to make a hundred thousand dollars a day! We play with big cash and we blowin money fast. I need a G for every light bulb on the Vegas strip!!!
Nelliboy2
hunter

Next

Return to Shotgun Forum