thoughts on a good duck/goose gun

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

thoughts on a good duck/goose gun

Postby michiganduckhunter » Mon Mar 14, 2005 7:12 pm

I'm sure this is an age old topic, but I just want some gut level feedback. I'm shopping for a replacement to my old Mossberg 500 3" that was my first gun. I've considered an OU in camo (Traditions), OU Stoeger, classic 870, Benelli, Charles Daly, Winchester x2, Beretta. When it comes down to it, I'd like to stay under $1000 for a gun that will get wet, dirty and scratched duck/goose hunting. I can easily afford a good pump but am thinking a Rem 1187 for around $800 from my local gun shop is a fair price for a good autoloader. I'd also like to do more skeet shooting in the off season to help my aim and an autoloader might be better for this. Thoughts?
michiganduckhunter
hunter

Postby Swamp Puppy » Mon Mar 14, 2005 7:26 pm

an auto is certainly a good bet for a fast follow up shot like you would want on a skeet or sporting clays course. however, most clubs only allow 2 shells in the gun at a time so a double gun ( SxS or O/U ) with a single trigger will basically be the same thing.

if it was a waterfowl gun only..i would recommend something along the lines of the Benelli Nova, Browning BPS, or the Remington 870 Express SuperMag. add to that list any other reliable gunmaker that offers a pumpgun that will shoot 3.5inch shells and sells for under 600 dollars. notice i didn't put the Mossy 835 UltiMag on the list. not a bad gun, but fow a hundred or two more you get a much better quality of gun from other makers. i'd stick with the pump over the auto for ease of use and maintainance.

if you want to double duty this gun with use on the clays course...that complicates it a bit. you have a lot of cotradictions going on here. a clay shooters gun is usually lightweight, balanced, and capable of fast follow-up shots. ie: doubles and autos. unfortunately, most doubles and autos come with a hefty pricetag..one usually doesn't like to throw a pricey gun in the bottom of a duckboat.

i guess that by process of elimination you are looking at an O/U from Stoeger or Traditions. possibly the Stoeger 2000 auto or even the Rem 1187 if you don't mind beating up an 800 dollar gun.

me, i have a 350 dollar limit on duck guns. anything more than that and it stay faaar away from a duck blind.
Friends Don't Let Friends Shoot Mossbergs.
Swamp Puppy
hunter

Postby duckdog » Mon Mar 14, 2005 7:43 pm

If you take a pump gun to shhot skeet, the one thin to remember is it's good practice at shooting two clay pigeon's, in a very short amount of time, v.s shooting at a flock of duck's dumpin into your decoy's, excellent practice. Plus when you get real good at shooting skeet with a pump, and you will if you keep at it, you can show them people with there fancy skeet gun's what a pump can do. :laughing: I'm looking at an auto to buy but would'nt take it duckin, because I'm hard on a gun in the boat,and mud that's why I alway's take my 870 :thumbsup:
Any day in the outdoor's is better than at work
duckdog
hunter

Postby Swamp Puppy » Mon Mar 14, 2005 7:55 pm

duckdog - yeah, normally i can hold my own with a pumpgun on a sporting clays course. that is, until i came up to the station titled "Nesting Pair".

the trapper launches 2 clays together from the same spot just near your feet on the right hand side. the clays fly side by side..slightly climbing and spreading farther apart as they go. by the time they get out about 20 yards (which takes about 1 second...lol. ) they are too far apart to get with one shot. now you have to shoot..pump...reaquire target...and shoot again before the clays are out past 30 yards. (remember, skeet chokes and straight away flyers so you are shooting at them edgewise instead of the whole clay)

all i can say is...damn near impossible with a pumpgun. i've gotten them both maybe 2 or 3 times. and those times i was able to get them close enough to break both of them with my first shot.
Swamp Puppy
hunter

Postby plainsman » Tue Mar 15, 2005 1:48 am

Of the one's you've mentioned, the only one I'd go for would be the X2. The 11-87 I wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole, notorious for "O"-ring trouble and have heard about lots of slamfires with this model.Take a look at the Baikal MP 153, there's been very few negative comments about it.....2.75"-3.5"....it's not pretty, but it's a workhorse.
Causing permenant flight delays
Callin' 'em in and knockin' 'em down
plainsman
hunter

Postby had » Tue Mar 15, 2005 9:18 am

I've considered an OU in camo (Traditions), OU Stoeger, classic 870, Benelli, Charles Daly, Winchester x2, Beretta

out of these guns if i could spend $1000 i would buy the x2 hands down. it doesn't even cost that much and i would still buy it. my wife would prob. faint if i didn't use all $1000 but thats what i would get(or a franchi 912 :yes: )
This site is about having some fun, learning, helping others, and enjoying the commaradre' of other waterfowl hunters. And if you do not like those 4 things, then do not let the door hit you on the way out of here.
had
hunter

Postby thaner » Tue Mar 15, 2005 12:31 pm

Personally if you have $1000 budget I would go for a used Benelli SBE or a new berretta 391 or 391 xtrema, you can find the xtrema for under a 1000, I just did a few months ago. They will hold up well and shoot anything you want including clays. An 870 would be my only choice for a low budget gun. I wouldn't waist my money on a nova or 835. I have shot them and had an 835 for a long time and they are OK, but they don't stack up to an 870. Get an 870 special purpose if you have the $ I think they are better than the express. I have had all the Beretta autos on the clays course and in the duck boat and they are indestructible if reasonably maintained. The low $ O/U’s you are looking at could be OK if you don’t mind 2 shots and the recoil they can have.
More ammo! I need to shoot something!
thaner
hunter

Postby michiganduckhunter » Wed Mar 16, 2005 5:49 pm

thanks for all the helpful feedback. I appreciate the words of wisdom.
....I guess the real obvious answer is I need two diffferent guns. Maybe an 870 for ducks and an OU for clays. Sounds like a simple, yet expensive solution. I'll start with the 870
michiganduckhunter
hunter

Postby Swamp Puppy » Wed Mar 16, 2005 6:54 pm

hey..now you're talkin'. but why stop at just two? at last count i think i am up to 4 shotguns. lol. :salude:
Swamp Puppy
hunter

Postby 5150Fred » Fri Mar 18, 2005 3:02 pm

I purchased a Rem 1187 and it has been back to the factory twice. The notorius O-ring. Since then I have purchased a Super black Eagle and love it.
There's nothing like seeing'em cupped and committed
5150Fred
hunter

Postby plainsman » Fri Mar 18, 2005 6:41 pm

michiganduckhunter wrote: I'll start with the 870

I hope you go with the Wingmaster if your dead set on rem, and even then be very careful. Rem. quality control has taken a nosedive in the last 10 yr.
Causing permenant flight delays
Callin' 'em in and knockin' 'em down
plainsman
hunter

Good starter gun for duck and goose ?

Postby Rookie » Mon Mar 21, 2005 7:52 pm

I am as green as you can get at hunting. Taking my courses next month and looking to be ready for the fall duck/goose season. I am curious to find out what gun is recommended as a good starter ? My brother mentioned a Winchester, single barrel, semi-automatic 3-1/2". Any other opinions would be greatly appreciated.
:smile:
Rookie
hunter

Postby Swamp Puppy » Mon Mar 21, 2005 9:20 pm

:welcome:

not a bad gun to start with. in fact, it's a good gun period.
Swamp Puppy
hunter

Postby Rookie » Tue Mar 22, 2005 4:24 am

Thanks Swamp Puppy.
My brother just felt it is a good one to start with and should have everything I need for a while as I learn the ropes. The idea of the 3 1/2" capability is for a little extra range and the gun is around the $600-$700 range.

:salude:
Rookie
hunter

Postby possumfoot » Tue Mar 22, 2005 6:19 pm

stay away from the new 11-87,s if u want a relihable gun that can take what ever u throw at it, go for the sx2.. my dad has a super black eagle and i hate that gun.. it does not jam up or anything, it just is not a good gun at aquiring moving targets at high speed. the high and wide rib of the x2 make it simple to aquire a target and to follow through.. imho ther is no better gun out there than the SX2.l
possumfoot
hunter

Postby cmsu870 » Tue Mar 22, 2005 7:16 pm

I own a 870 super mag and a benelli nova and they both hold 3.5 and were both under $350. they are both realible guns, and would recommend them to anybody.
They make those?
Tyler
cmsu870
State Moderator

Postby Ducksbeus » Tue Mar 22, 2005 8:06 pm

My partner has the Winchester, he loves it. My dad has the SBE, he loves it. I hunt in the rain, sleet, snow and mud, and, Im married with children. At Bass Pro Shops Fall Sale I purchased a Nova for $199+Tax and $10 background check...Best $200 for waterfowl Ive ever spent. If it breaks, falls apart, or catches on fire, buy a new one. Pump guns do take awhile to get used ta shootin. What ever you decide on...pattern it with different loads BEFORE you hit the field, marsh, or range. Best thing I ever did. Y'all have a nice day! :thumbsup:
"You get what you put in, and people get what they deserve" Hank Jr. and Kid Rock
Ducksbeus
hunter

Postby Rookie » Tue Mar 22, 2005 8:19 pm

Thanks Possumfoot, I will try to find out the model name that my brother was thinking of and let you know.
Rookie
hunter

Thoughts on the Mossberg ?

Postby Rookie » Mon Mar 28, 2005 3:18 pm

I am new to hunting and looking for a good starter gun for duck and goose hunting. My brother recommended to look at the new Mossberg 945. Anyone have any thoughts on this gun ?
Rookie
hunter

Return to Shotgun Forum