Question about Franchi Intensity...help!

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Question about Franchi Intensity...help!

Postby mnduckngoose » Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:50 pm

Hey guys new member here, from what I can see lots of great information on the page! Anyways I just picked up a Franchi Intensity which utilizes Benelli's inertia driven system. On Franchi's website the gun is marketed as a 3 1/2" gun, and that is why I bought it, but on the the barrel is says only use 2 3/4" or 3". Can anybody explain this? Also, the gun came with a part that I have no clue what it is. It is steel, fairly solid/heavy, about 3.5 inches long and about .5 inches in diameter, internally threaded on one end and has a hexagonal shape on the other. The bag it is in has some foreign language on it but what I can see on the bag is "12 INTEN 3" 1/2" so I am wondering if this part is required to use 3 1/2" inch shells? Anybody?
mnduckngoose
hunter

Re: Question about Franchi Intensity...help!

Postby KRB » Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:01 pm

I would contact franchi. Something don't sound rite. Or the store you bought it and have them open another intensity box and see if it is the same.
KRB
hunter

Postby mnduckngoose » Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:03 pm

Sent them an email about it. I looked at multiple intensitys and they all say the same thing on the barrel.
mnduckngoose
hunter

Postby KRB » Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:18 pm

My brother's had an affinity for 2 seasons, no complaint's. I have been curious to here how intensity runs. If you don't mind let us know what you hear from Franchi. And how you like after you get to burn some shell's. Good luck
KRB
hunter

Postby mnduckngoose » Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:59 pm

1st question has been answered! Contacted the gun shop where the gun was purchased, the salesman took time to take apart another gun and determined the part is a counterweight that can go in the stock. Anyways, my second question, which concerns me somewhat, is why does the barrel say only 2 3/4 and 3" shells? This gun is marketed by Franchi as a gun that will meet the needs of people who want 3 1/2" guns. My remington 870 has the same engraving on the barrel, except underneath that it says "3 1/2" ONLY WITH SUPERMAG RECEIVER". Could this be the same type of thing? Not going to shoot a 3 1/2" shell until I find out. If I wanted just a 3" gun I would have bought the Affinity. (Identical to the Intensity except for the ability to shoot 3 1/2" shells aparently)
mnduckngoose
hunter

Postby DuckManClyde » Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:07 am

Im no gun smith, but here's what my guess is. The forcing cone varies from gun to gun, my over under has a lip inside the barrel that wont allow me to chamber a 3.5 inch shell, it simply wont fit. take the barrel off of your franchi, look in there and see of theres a defined lip, or if it just tapers down into the barrel. If there is no lip then it should chamber. and having the larger exit port on your intensity's reciever assures the larger shells will eject. Thats probably why on the remington it says "only with sm reciver" because otherwise the shell wont eject, it just get stuck. Im sure the barrel is safe to shoot from, franchi probably just neglected to stamp the 3.5 into it because it may be the same barrel for the affinity.

To back up my theory i have a story.

So my neighbor has this really old break action single shot, the barrel says 2.75/3 inch shells, but being the brilliant sob that he is, he put a 3.5 inch steel load in. Why? because it fits, there is no lip inside the barrel to stop it.
If offended, and or irritated with the above post, please refer to my caring face :hi:
DuckManClyde
hunter

Postby KRB » Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:43 am

DuckManClyde wrote:Im no gun smith, but here's what my guess is. The forcing cone varies from gun to gun, my over under has a lip inside the barrel that wont allow me to chamber a 3.5 inch shell, it simply wont fit. take the barrel off of your franchi, look in there and see of theres a defined lip, or if it just tapers down into the barrel. If there is no lip then it should chamber. and having the larger exit port on your intensity's reciever assures the larger shells will eject. Thats probably why on the remington it says "only with sm reciver" because otherwise the shell wont eject, it just get stuck. Im sure the barrel is safe to shoot from, franchi probably just neglected to stamp the 3.5 into it because it may be the same barrel for the affinity.

To back up my theory i have a story.

So my neighbor has this really old break action single shot, the barrel says 2.75/3 inch shells, but being the brilliant sob that he is, he put a 3.5 inch steel load in. Why? because it fits, there is no lip inside the barrel to stop it.

Very well could be.
KRB
hunter

Postby Spoonneck » Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:33 pm

Is it possible they could have given you a affinity barrel on accident??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Spoonneck
Newb

Postby DuckManClyde » Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:16 pm

i just talked to the benelli tech, my forcing cone theory was right, your safe to shoot the 3.5 shells

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
If offended, and or irritated with the above post, please refer to my caring face :hi:
DuckManClyde
hunter

Postby mnduckngoose » Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:46 pm

DuckManClyde wrote:i just talked to the benelli tech, my forcing cone theory was right, your safe to shoot the 3.5 shells

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Thanks! That makes sense and I appreciate you asking your benelli tech!
mnduckngoose
hunter

Postby mnduckngoose » Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:47 pm

Spoonneck wrote:Is it possible they could have given you a affinity barrel on accident??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Every Infinity I saw at 2 different stores had the same barrel stamping
mnduckngoose
hunter

Postby mnduckngoose » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:38 pm

Was able to get out and put about a dozen rounds through it. Love it! Shot great. Not as much recoil as I expected. Shot low base 2 3/4", magnum 2 3/4" and magnum 3" shells. All cycled flawlessly.
mnduckngoose
hunter

Postby mudpack » Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:57 am

mnduckngoose wrote: on the the barrel is says only use 2 3/4" or 3".

DuckManClyde wrote:i just talked to the benelli tech, my forcing cone theory was right, your safe to shoot the 3.5 shells

If the barrel says 2 3/4" and 3" shells only, then I would not shoot 3.5" ammo in it.
I don't care what some guy on the phone tells me. Spoonneck may be on the right track....or something similar.

I have eight 12ga barrels with 3"-chambers. They will all accept a 3.5" shell. The "lip" you talk about is not a lip/step, but is the forcing cone in shadow (run a 1/4" dia. wooden dowel down the chamber and you'll see)
The only gun I have that will not fully accept a 3.5" shell is a target gun with a 2 3/4" chamber. That gun will almost take the 3.5" shell, but the shell starts getting tight (touching the forcing cone) with about 1/16" left to go before it's seated.
mudpack
hunter

Postby DuckManClyde » Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:37 pm

well damn, you were right about the lip. :fingerhead:

If the rep says that the gun is safe, then im sure its safe. Look at it this way, if anything were to happen, its there fault, and im sure they'l cover the cost of a new gun, plus your potential medical bills.
DuckManClyde
hunter

Postby cootlover » Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:25 pm

Did you get this guys name who told you it's ok to shoot it :huh:
cootlover
hunter

Postby DuckManClyde » Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:47 pm

nope
DuckManClyde
hunter

Postby winchester1852 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:15 pm

If the barrel says 3inch use only 3inch they put that their for a reason. Contact franchi on the barrel sounds like they goofed.
if you can read this your almost as smart as a dolphin.
winchester1852
hunter

Postby KRB » Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:50 am

It probably is a franchi goof as they market it as a 3 1/2. But I would want to hear from franchi before I ran any roman candle's.
KRB
hunter

Postby YJSONLY » Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:03 pm

It doesn't say 3 1/2 then it's not made for it! Goof or not it's not correct.
YJSONLY
hunter

Postby waterfowler4444 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:31 am

I just bought a new Franchi Intensity a couple weeks ago...mine says 3 1/2 on the barrel...shot it Friday for the first time, only light trap loads no 3 1/2 but it shot great....
waterfowler4444
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:54 am

Does it have 89mm stamped on the Barrel? They might have stamped it in the millimeters rather than inches. I might be incorrect on this but I think it is the same barrel they use on the 3" gun and they run them thru again to ream the chamber to 3.5" / 89mm that would explain why the main barrel stamp does not include the 3.5" marking. This would make sense if the first run early ones did not have 3.5" on them and the later production ones do.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby NNY Hunter » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:13 am

I just picked mine up Tuesday and went through the same deal at Basspro.

The 3 1/2 part is blocked from view. If you take the forestock off you'll see where it says 3 1/2". Its a bit odd as it says 3 1/2, 2 3/4 or 3 - not like you usually see. We looked at 2 different guns before we figured it out and confirmed the 3 1/2 part was there.
NNY Hunter
Newb

Return to Shotgun Forum