Old classic

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Old classic

Postby Swampfoxforeman » Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:01 pm

I was digging though my dad's gun safe n found a my granpaw's old Browning A5 12 gauge. Asked Daddy about it he told me grandpaw won it in the 40s on a tilt table for $5. I have no clue about the choke. I think it is 26" barrel n I know it is 2 3/4 camber. Any info someone about these guns? Also what about waterfowl hunting with it?
Swampfoxforeman
hunter

Re: Old classic

Postby War Wagon » Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:48 pm

Dam....Post a Pic of that gun ..... :yes: I think we all would like to see it.. :bow: :bow:
War Wagon
hunter

Postby Swampfoxforeman » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:01 pm

I'll post one Friday when I'm out of the field.
Swampfoxforeman
hunter

Postby KRB » Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:32 pm

Love the classic's. Have my dad's old rem model 11 and his 1917 Winchester model 12. I don't shoot steel through them but did buy some hevi shot classic doubles to take that grand old model 12 out a few times.
KRB
hunter

not another old Auto-5 thread......

Postby mudpack » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:26 pm

There are several million Auto-5's and its Remington and Savage variants floating around, and they all pretty much look the same. It's just an old gun that we've all seen before. They occupy a special place in many shooter's hearts, not because they are a great gun, but because Grandpa had one.

The choking on that gun will be on the barrel, sometimes it's in code: a series of asterisks.
Shoot bismuth or tungsten matrix in it and you could use it for waterfowl.
mudpack
hunter

Re: not another old Auto-5 thread......

Postby Tim Terrell » Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:35 pm

mudpack wrote:There are several million Auto-5's and its Remington and Savage variants floating around, and they all pretty much look the same. It's just an old gun that we've all seen before. They occupy a special place in many shooter's hearts, not because they are a great gun, but because Grandpa had one.

Actually, you're quite wrong. The Browning Auto-5 is indeed recognized as being one of the "Great-guns." I take it you just don't happen to own one eh? They just don't make them like that anymore.
--Tim
Tim Terrell
hunter

Re: not another old Auto-5 thread......

Postby mudpack » Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:05 pm

Tim Terrell wrote: They just don't make them like that anymore.

And for that we can be thankful.
mudpack
hunter

Postby War Wagon » Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:16 pm

IDK..... I still like looking at them. Hope he honors his Grandfather and still shows us a pic... :clapping:

:no: :no: .. mudpack.. you don't have to look.... :no: :no:
War Wagon
hunter

Postby KRB » Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:53 am

No pump has the feel of the Model 12. Wish they would do a remake that would eat steel.
KRB
hunter

Postby mudpack » Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:24 pm

Okay. I won't.
mudpack
hunter

Postby KRB » Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:15 pm

mudpack wrote:Okay. I won't.

Good
KRB
hunter

Postby Luvbowhuntn » Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:18 am

I wonder what a gun has to do be considered a "great" gun to mudpack? Considering more ducks have fell to Auto 5's and 870's than all the Benelli's and Beretta's in the world combined id say they're great guns. Hard to argue against a gun that's been killing for better than 100yrs

Sent leaning against a big oak in knee deep water....
Real cowboys say the party never ends and the road goes on and on
Luvbowhuntn
hunter

Postby mudpack » Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:33 pm

Examples of a great gun?

Wingmaster
Superposed
SBE

All of them are designed around actions/systems that have been copied by many other manufacturers, have hundreds of thousands if not millions of fans, and if they haven't already will eventually outsell the Auto-5, since they are all still in production.

Any other manufacturers copy the Auto-5's long-recoil system? (the Remington Model 11 and the Savage 720 were not copies, they were Auto-5's built under license from Browning) The Auto-5, like the Ford Model T, was the start of a revolution. They are both turning points, that have been left in the dust of history. If you like the Auto-5 for its nostalgia, that's one thing, but there are much better shotguns being made.
mudpack
hunter

Old classic

Postby Luvbowhuntn » Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:51 pm

I wouldn't say they've been left in the dust of history. Step into a large number of blinds this coming duck season and see if there isn't an Auto 5 in there somewhere. It ain't there by accident. It's there because it's a great gun and a solid one. Sure there are many great guns being made but to say Auto 5's aren't one of them is a little untruthful. I agree completely with 1100's and Wingmaster's both. But if it weren't for the Auto 5 the 1100 woulda never came to be. The SBE's are also solid guns as well. My grandpa never owned an Auto 5. But I reach into the safe and past a SBEII, Maxus, Extrema2, only to grab a Jap Auto 5 Mag Stalker every time I go to the blind. That isn't by accident either. I know without a shadow of a doubt that it's gonna run no matter what conditions I'm in. It just doesn't quit. I use it not because my grandpa had one but because I know from personal experience how great of a gun they are and what they can do. I'm willing to bet you dont have much experience with them or you'd know just how solid they are. They're tanks
A little food for thought. Here's a link to Outdoor Life's 10 greatest shotguns ever made. Only 2 auto's made the list. The Auto 5 at #7 and the 1100 at #10
http://www.outdoorlife.com/photos/galle ... 1001357233

Sent leaning against a big oak in knee deep water....
Last edited by Luvbowhuntn on Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Real cowboys say the party never ends and the road goes on and on
Luvbowhuntn
hunter

Postby War Wagon » Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:54 pm

X2 on that...well done.. :clapping:
War Wagon
hunter

Postby mudpack » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:46 am

Luvbowhuntn wrote:Here's a link to Outdoor Life's 10 greatest shotguns ever made. Only 2 auto's made the list. The Auto 5 at #7 and the 1100 at #10...

I read that article with interest some time ago. One has to keep in mind that the guns listed therein were simply one man's opinion, based on what he thinks makes a great gun. Just like your opinion is "one man's opinion"...and just like my opinion is only "one man's opinion"...based on what we think defines a "great" shotgun. All are valid opinions, and we can say that we agree to disagree on just how "great" the Auto-5 is.
I'll never convince you that it is just an "historical" gun, just as you'll never convince me that it is truly a "great" gun. :thumbsup:

PS You might also notice that the list of 10 "Greatest Shotguns"...which were not listed in order of greatness; the Auto-5 could have been at the top of his list or at the bottom...had several questionable picks.
Included in that list was the Remington Model 31 and the Winchester Model 97. I take it that you agree with the author's list and also think those were 'great' shotguns?? :huh:
mudpack
hunter

Postby TJP » Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:38 pm

The Winchester 97 was a great shotgun. I know someone who still uses one in the blind.
TJP
hunter

Postby KRB » Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:22 pm

If the model 12 Winchester was not on that list it should have been.
KRB
hunter

Postby Quacker-Wacker » Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:56 am

My definition of a great gun or a great anything is the one that lasts the longest without problems.
My Mag 12 Auto-5 will outlast my SBE simply because the SBE has an aluminum alloy receiver vs the A-5s steel receiver. Alum wears fast and tends to gull the surface especially when a steel bolt is riding on it. Where as the steel on steel of the A-5 tends to polish itself smooth and will last indefinitely.
Quacker-Wacker
hunter

Postby Tim Terrell » Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:26 pm

KRB wrote:If the model 12 Winchester was not on that list it should have been.

X2. Most definitely.
--Tim
Tim Terrell
hunter

Postby War Wagon » Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:33 pm

I sure like them... :yes: :yes:
Attachments
Winchester Model 12's   #2.JPG
War Wagon
hunter

Postby mudpack » Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:44 am

Quacker-Wacker wrote: Alum wears fast and tends to gull the surface especially when a steel bolt is riding on it. Where as the steel on steel of the A-5 tends to polish itself smooth and will last indefinitely.

Metallugurically speaking, that is incorrect. Like metals bearing against like metals (aluminum on aluminum, or steel-on-steel) are the most likely to gall (exhibit metal transfer). Stainless steel riding on stainless steel is notorious for galling, for example.
Dissimilar metals, on the other hand, tend to last longer as bearing surfaces. This means that brass-on-steel, or steel-on-aluminum works very well.
That's why steel shafts ride in brass or bronze bushings, rather than in steel bushings. That's also why 15,0000 rpm Honda engines have their steel camshafts riding directly on aluminum head material w/ the cam bearing caps made of the same aluminum. :thumbsup:

If the greatest guns were the ones that last the longest, then my old H&R Topper should be at the top of the Great Guns list. That thing will never wear out.
mudpack
hunter

Postby Sammyshonker » Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:19 pm

It'a all relative to folks's experience and opinions, with the opinions being like butt holes in that everyones got one and the vast majority of them stink :lol3: ...
The 1100's 'i was around as a kid spent so much time jammed up you'd a thought you were in a smuckers factory, though obviously many folks had good results with them-
The A-5 was and will always be a classic waterfoul gun, that was about as reliable and tough as a guy could ever want for an autoloader-
You couldn't give me an 1100, but I've always relied on 870's for the real work-
"Until then, I'm gonna fear God, love my neighbor, and kill ducks, and let the cards fall where they may..."
Phil Robertson
Sammyshonker
hunter

Return to Shotgun Forum