Duck Hunting Forum banner

what choke for a 870

1K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  wjarrell 
#1 ·
I was thinking about switching from the factory choke to new one but I dont know what to get. Anny suggestions??

#2 ·
Since your asking I would suggest a Wad Wizard supreme for your 870 and also suggest that you shoot round steel pellets and stay away from gimmick shot.
A Wad Wizard Supreme choke tube along with 3", 1 1/4 ounce of hard round steel pellets in #2, #3, or #4 shot size in the 1400fps range is a extremely deadly and inexpensive combination.

#3 ·
I shoot an extended IC and Lite Mod for mallards (ducks) and the Mod and Imp Mod for geese. Carlsons are excellent extended chokes for the money. I have shot over 3000 steel patterns and found the extended non ported chokes to give the best patterns. I also use Briley, Trulocks and Terrors. I have found the stripper chokes like Wad Wizard not to work very well. Ned S

#4 ·
TuJays said:
Since your asking I would suggest a Wad Wizard supreme for your 870 and also suggest that you shoot round steel pellets and stay away from gimmick shot.
A Wad Wizard Supreme choke tube along with 3", 1 1/4 ounce of hard round steel pellets in #2, #3, or #4 shot size in the 1400fps range is a extremely deadly and inexpensive combination.
I echo this advice. With the exception that I use a Patternmaster. Same principal different name.

#5 ·
its surprising how so few of people suggest patternmaster i thought they were top of the line when it came to chokes :huh:

maybe its just better marketing, the only 2 ive ever seen advertised were the PM and the heavy shot chokes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.