Versamax Question?

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Versamax Question?

Postby JFord56 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:58 am

I've always shot Remingtons. 1100's & 870's. I've still got a '78 Wingmaster Mag and a '60's 870 in 16 ga with forearm that looks like a Mod12. I love them and still killin duck with the Mag. I had kicked around the idea of getting a new gun in an auto. I like the Versamax. Price wise it's a Versamax or a SX3. I can't see the moola for a SBE2.
A buddies son has a Versamax. I've shot a few doves with it and a 3.5" Turkey load. I love the feel of the gun, way it swings, and tame kick with the 3.5's. He had the barrel swell right about where the screw in part would stop. You could not get tube out and he didn't have any obstruction or mud or anything in the barrel when it happened. He was actually shooting std #2 duck loads when he noticed it. This was season before last. He caught a gaff of crap from Rem over the phone several times. Finally he asked for supv and they gave him a number and my buddie and his son went thru the story with him. They all swore there was something in the barrel. He was hunting out of a boat. All shots went boom - ducks fell. The guy in the end told him to box it up and sent it back to them and they would see what to do and let him know. About a month later he got it all back with a new barrel. No letter or explanation with gun or by mail or phone? He has never had any issue with it since or otherwise. He loves it. HAs anyone ever herard of this with these guns? Freak or frequent? Fixed issue or ongoing? The reason I ask is I would like to have on and I have heard and seen a bunch of issues with the newer 870's when the QC is questionable on some of the newer guns. Wondered if it was a pattern? :hammer:
JFord56
hunter

Re: Versamax Question?

Postby Jimmy82 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:39 pm

Didn't happen to a Versamax, but the same thing happened to my dad's browning, in the same spot on the barrel. His buddies all tell him something must have been in the barrel. But growing up with the man I can tell you he's meticulous about how he cares for his guns, in and out of the field. This happened while pheasant hunting as well, he doesn't hunt duck. The chances he was anywhere near mud are slim. Had these been pump guns, my theory would be that you had a round with no powder and the wad and some shot didn't clear the muzzle. But with a semi, there wouldn't be enough energy off a primer alone to cycle the bolt for another shot. So far these are the only two times I've heard of a bulge so far down the barrel

Or by "screw in part" do you mean the choke tube? My dad's bulged right after the gas port.
Jimmy82
hunter

Postby JFord56 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:19 pm

Ya - Bulge was right at where the bottom of the choke tube would have ended. It was a factory choke too.
JFord56
hunter

Postby DoubleDutchChuck » Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:24 pm

There could be several reason as to what caused the bulge to occur. The only way to know the cause for certain is to see it immediately after it happened. Other than that, it's all a guess as to what caused it. Myself, my partner,and his brother have all been using the VersaMax for the past three years and have experienced absolutely NO problem of any kind.I also shoot my Maxus quite frequently and I love them both. And, althought I hate to admit it, the VersaMax has slightly less felt recoil. I would not hesitate a second on buying another VersaMax.
"Listen to those Whispering Wings"
DoubleDutchChuck
hunter

Postby BurninPowder » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:37 pm

Had my VM for about 2 years without issue. Wouldn't hesitate to buy another. And this is the first I've heard of any barrel bulge problem... My money would go to freak coincidence or barrel obstruction. Much more inclined to the latter. Tujays will be along shortly. He is far more versed than I on the VM. If you must, a PM may get quicker results.
BurninPowder
hunter

Postby TuJays » Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:44 am

I do not remember any other instance where this happened with another Versa Max, or of anyone mentioning a barrel bulge. Also a quick search in the 127 page topic on SGW did not turn up anything either and that topic worked out all of the early bugs with the Versa Max.
It would be my opinion that the barrel was defective from the factory, accidentally damaged and then fired, and or obstructed and fired.
It is nice that your buddy got a new barrel!
I have done so much for so long with so little, I am now qualified to do anything with nothing!
TuJays
hunter

Postby Yuchi1 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:41 am

JFord56 wrote:I've always shot Remingtons. 1100's & 870's. I've still got a '78 Wingmaster Mag and a '60's 870 in 16 ga with forearm that looks like a Mod12. I love them and still killin duck with the Mag. I had kicked around the idea of getting a new gun in an auto. I like the Versamax. Price wise it's a Versamax or a SX3. I can't see the moola for a SBE2.
A buddies son has a Versamax. I've shot a few doves with it and a 3.5" Turkey load. I love the feel of the gun, way it swings, and tame kick with the 3.5's. He had the barrel swell right about where the screw in part would stop. You could not get tube out and he didn't have any obstruction or mud or anything in the barrel when it happened. He was actually shooting std #2 duck loads when he noticed it. This was season before last. He caught a gaff of crap from Rem over the phone several times. Finally he asked for supv and they gave him a number and my buddie and his son went thru the story with him. They all swore there was something in the barrel. He was hunting out of a boat. All shots went boom - ducks fell. The guy in the end told him to box it up and sent it back to them and they would see what to do and let him know. About a month later he got it all back with a new barrel. No letter or explanation with gun or by mail or phone? He has never had any issue with it since or otherwise. He loves it. HAs anyone ever herard of this with these guns? Freak or frequent? Fixed issue or ongoing? The reason I ask is I would like to have on and I have heard and seen a bunch of issues with the newer 870's when the QC is questionable on some of the newer guns. Wondered if it was a pattern? :hammer:

Was he shooting Federal ammo?
Sent from my Sumerian tablets

Does the number of bands claimed simply mean you have an Ebay account?

FSH Pro Staffer

High Potentate, NSSB (no spinning shotcup brotherhood)
Yuchi1
hunter

Postby JFord56 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:14 pm

Yuchi1
I asked - buddy was not sure the ammo brand his son was using. He said the choke tube was real hard to turn since it was brand new - even after a cleaning and oiling was tight. Thought it might be some packing grease that was stiff and hard. It came with 3 tubes and all three were tight and tough to get in/out. He changed tubes before over firing the gun to go hunt and noticed it. He says he still thinks barrel/choke threading bad from factory. Kid had hunted all his life and has been in law enfor for 4-5 yrs now. No rookie to firearms.
JFord56
hunter

Postby Yuchi1 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:41 pm

Reason I asked was that in ~46 seasons of waterfowling the only two (2) barrels observed in the field with catastrophic failure were both Remingtons and both were using Federal factory ammo.
Sent from my Sumerian tablets

Does the number of bands claimed simply mean you have an Ebay account?

FSH Pro Staffer

High Potentate, NSSB (no spinning shotcup brotherhood)
Yuchi1
hunter

Versamax Question?

Postby nmbrinkman » Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:47 pm

Choke tubes come loose. Any chance a wad hung up on a backed out choke tube?
nmbrinkman
hunter

Postby Cajun1085 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:02 pm

No swelling, but I did have a vent rib fracture. Contacted Remington and they sent me a new barrel 3 days later.
GATORTAIL 1646 25GTR

SouthEast Gator-tail
Cajun1085
hunter

Return to Shotgun Forum