Benelli Montefeltro for the wife

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Benelli Montefeltro for the wife

Postby Jimmy82 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:35 am

So I've been trying to get the wife more into hunting. She has the desire as well, but we were running into issues where she was wimping out on guns. She wants a 12 ga so that she can use it on every thing from woodcock to turkey. We've tried an 870, she had bad cheek bump on that, and handicap target loads hurt her shoulder. We tried a CZ 712, to heavy. So now I'm buckling and getting her a Benelli. She did really well with my SKB o/u with the 20 ga barrels in. She was busting about 3 out of every 5 clays (very solid hits too). The Monte has almost exact same measurements as my SKB except weight. So I'm thinking this is a good fit. My wife is 5'6" or 5'7" depending on who you ask, and she hasn't had any issues with a standard LOP. So I'm curious, does anyone have experience with this gun and females? My sister got one too, but I don't know if it's the 20 or 12, and oddly enough I don't have her e-mail address. Oh yeah, we're looking that the 24" barrel to further reduce weight. It'll also bring the balance a little closer to torso and maybe help with swings too.
Jimmy82
hunter

Re: Benelli Montefeltro for the wife

Postby Rick Hall » Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:00 am

Love my Montefeltro, but if she's recoil sensitive, I'd be looking at gas operated guns. The Benelli inertia system does reduce recoil compared to a fixed breech but probably not so much that she'd want to shoot many light loads at clays or heavy ones at game with it. Shooting the same shells, my 870's recoil is heavier enough to surprise me after shooting my SBE. But my Montefeltro is a 20ga I've had since the early '90s which a good number of gals through our commercial camp have shot on our clays range and in the field, and none I recall has opted to stick with it on occasions when someone else came up with a gas operated 20 for them to try.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby KRB » Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:29 am

Agree with Rick, Love my 12 ga monty but lt.weight and inertia are not the best choice for a recoil sensitive shooter. If you want a 12 the Beretta A300 would be a good option, gas gun but lighter than the A400. There is also a light 20ga in the a400 line with very low recoil. I got my wife a 391 urika 2 20ga w 26 inch barrel she had no problems with, she's 5,6" 120lbs.
KRB
hunter

Postby z51 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:51 am

Let her try a wood stocked Weatherby SA-08. It's a 6 1/2 gas gun that is soft shooting and light weight. I have shot one for 3 years now and really like it. An added bonus is it is super easy to clean.
z51
hunter

Postby 60's hunter » Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:21 am

If you want to go Benelli------I would go with a 20ga. in a M2 Field. With the right loads she can hunt almost anything, and the ComforTech does a very good job----- especially the cheek piece for making it less punishing to keep your face planted on that stock-----one of the biggest causes of missing shots.
60's hunter
hunter

Postby 1448jonboat » Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:35 am

For someone recoil sensitive, I'd get a gas operated 20 gauge. If she thinks she needs a 12 gauge for hunting turkey, then tell her that the 20 gauge gun you got has a new and special barrel technology that gives it as much power as a 12 gauge.
1448jonboat
hunter

Postby Jimmy82 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:58 am

Well she handled the 20 ga o/u very well. It was a little on the heavy side, which may have helped with recoil some. She really wants to try a 12 ga again. Worst case which ever gun we do go with, if she doesn't like it I just got a new gun :thumbsup: If this doesn't pan out, I'll probably just have to have her go with a 20 ga. But she doesn't get my o/u lol!
Jimmy82
hunter

Postby Tgunz_64 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:19 am

I think she should just stick with a 20ga. It'll kill anything a 12ga will. I bought an M2 20ga last fall with a 24" barrel and it's a fantastic gun! Light recoil and overall a light easy to carry gun. Mainly a grouse gun but I will take it out duck hunting once in a while. If she's as sensitive to the recoil as you say and want a lighter gun then I don't think there's a 12ga out there that will meet all of the needs your looking for.
Tgunz_64
hunter

Postby Quack Wacker NC » Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:16 pm

I bought my wife a sa-08 20ga synthetic and she loves it, killed everything from doves to swans with it
Quack Wacker NC
Forum Moderator

Postby uglymug » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:01 pm

I just bought a 12 gauge monte in December and have put 500 rounds through mine so far. I'll agree with the others on here that say it's not necessarily for recoil sensitive people. I don't notice it, but I'm also 5'11 and 215 pounds. The Remington Versa Max is the softest shooting 12 I've ever shot, but at 8 pounds it's a pretty heavy gun, so that's expected. I don't think there's a perfect answer for you. You can't have a light, soft-shooting, 12 gauge. The physics don't really work. I've heard that the Browning Maxus is probably one of the best compromises in weight and recoil. All this being said, I absolutely love my Monte and how it shoots.
uglymug
hunter

Postby Jimmy82 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:08 am

Thanks for the input guys, definitely gave me some thoughts to chew on. Nothing has been purchased yet, so I'll talk to the wife and see where things go.
Jimmy82
hunter

Postby WROK » Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:15 pm

I have the Montefeltro and it is a very enjoyable gun to shoot. I have a 12 Gauge 28" model and my wife finds it very comfortable. Its also served as the beginner gun for my kids to shoot 10 and 12 years old and they both manage it with not problems.
WROK
Newb

Return to Shotgun Forum