Trap Guns, are they really worth it?

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Trap Guns, are they really worth it?

Postby uglymug » Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:05 am

I'm in a spring trap league and I'm shooting a Benelli Montefeltro. I do fairly well, averaging 23.5 or so per round. Now I see these guys with these custom made, Single-barrel, hydraulic-recoil, suspension-bridge rib, trap guns. I wonder if these actually make you a better shooter. Do they actually make a difference? It'd be one thing if these guns didn't cost as much as a car, but many of them do. What are your guys' thoughts on them? I don't even find them pretty to look at, the walnut is usually very nice, but the rest of the gun looks like a suspension bridge mated to an old sewer pipe.
uglymug
hunter

Re: Trap Guns, are they really worth it?

Postby 3200 man » Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:00 pm

I guess you could play golf with a baseball bat too but , the real reason for a trap gun is , it's built for it . That benelli is
not like a Mod 12 ! There are Trap shooters still shooting 75 year-old trap guns so , if you feel comfortable shooting a spring
gun , have at it . I would suggest if you really get into trap shooting ( not just playing ) you'll get a true target gun !

Also , You don't see Champion trap shooters shooting Benelli's .
3200 man
hunter

Postby cluckmeister » Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:30 pm

Id say if you intend on shooting trap on a regular basis and putting thousands of rounds thru the gun its worth the money. If youre only doing it 10 or 12 times a year shoot the gun you have now.
If you're there for the limit, you're there for the wrong reason
cluckmeister
hunter

Postby uglymug » Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:30 pm

Isn't a Rem 1100 considered one of the great trap guns though? I guess I'm not understanding what makes something a "good" trap gun. If they were so good for trap wouldn't we use the same models and designs for hunting?
uglymug
hunter

Postby cluckmeister » Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:38 pm

uglymug wrote:Isn't a Rem 1100 considered one of the great trap guns though? I guess I'm not understanding what makes something a "good" trap gun. If they were so good for trap wouldn't we use the same models and designs for hunting?

As far as I know Remington 1100 trap guns come with a Monte Carlo stock and have totally different chokes verses hunting chokes. Such as Multi-choke-SPL-1-singles,mid-handicap,long handicap, they also have back bored barrels for better patterns than the field gun
cluckmeister
hunter

Postby War Wagon » Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:15 pm

I started shooting trap way back in 1969. I was a kid that just got my drivers license and my Dad let me take the family car to the Gun Club to shoot a round of trap. I used my New Rem 870 Mag that my Dad just bought me, what a beauty she was. I thought the same thing, "Look at those Browning O/U guns" They cost a fortune, Why would you own a BT-99 single BBL gun, you can't even take that hunting. I can shoot the same with my Duck Gun.... :no: ...after many weeks of trying my gun it became a struggle to shoot over a 15 to 17 X 25. Then I was lucky enough to have one of those shooters let me try a Real Trap Gun.... :yes: ...Wow it was way different than my field gun shot, I was turning them into dust balls. No I did not run a 25 but for 8 to 9 weeks the guy let me shoot a real trap gun and my scores went up to 22 to 24 X 25.
7 years later I went and bought my first real Trap gun a Remington Model 3200 Competition.
You asked if it makes a difference.. :huh: :huh: ..Well yes it does.
I'm a old dog now but I pounded many rounds of trap. I'm a ATA shooter and Rank AAA 27 AA, I would have never gotten that far with my old 870 Mag... :thumbsup:
War Wagon
hunter

Postby nitram » Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:48 pm

War Wagon wrote:I started shooting trap way back in 1969. I was a kid that just got my drivers license and my Dad let me take the family car to the Gun Club to shoot a round of trap. I used my New Rem 870 Mag that my Dad just bought me, what a beauty she was. I thought the same thing, "Look at those Browning O/U guns" They cost a fortune, Why would you own a BT-99 single BBL gun, you can't even take that hunting. I can shoot the same with my Duck Gun.... :no: ...after many weeks of trying my gun it became a struggle to shoot over a 15 to 17 X 25. Then I was lucky enough to have one of those shooters let me try a Real Trap Gun.... :yes: ...Wow it was way different than my field gun shot, I was turning them into dust balls. No I did not run a 25 but for 8 to 9 weeks the guy let me shoot a real trap gun and my scores went up to 22 to 24 X 25.
7 years later I went and bought my first real Trap gun a Remington Model 3200 Competition.
You asked if it makes a difference.. :huh: :huh: ..Well yes it does.
I'm a old dog now but I pounded many rounds of trap. I'm a ATA shooter and Rank AAA 27 AA, I would have never gotten that far with my old 870 Mag... :thumbsup:

Well said Sir. :thumbsup: Great explanation.
Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or f-ing beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.- Al Swearengen
nitram
hunter

Postby cannon » Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:33 pm

I watched a kid go 100/100 with a Remington 870 express last week. Imagine how much better he'd have done with a real trap gun.
Smell that? Smells like sumthin died in here.
cannon
hunter

Location: At the stop sign in the ditch at Byers Farm, unlocking the gate.

Postby cluckmeister » Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:48 pm

He probably wouldn't have done any better, but, I bet his shoulder would feels tons better shooting the trap gun LOL
cluckmeister
hunter

Postby KRB » Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:15 am

I know a dedicated sporting clays gun with a heavy target stock and rib helped me shoot my way into Master class.
KRB
hunter

Postby C M Wings » Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:38 am

Probably the best shot that ever lived on trap, skeet, and live birds - Rudy Etchen - shot an plain field stock 870. Trap is 100% about gun fit. You will break big scores with a well fitting gun.
Ducks
C M Wings
hunter

Postby cannon » Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:45 am

My daughter started shooting on the school trap team this year. I'm fascinated by the array of guns the participants use, from $200 pumps to $15,000 O&U's. The state champ is my nephew, and he shoots a pimped out Citori with a high, adjustable rib & an adjustable stock. The girl that won second place was using a stock autoloader. Third went to a kid with a pump gun.

I have decided that the suspension bridge sights are there for intimidation. :yes:

I should also mention that my former farm hand was named Donnie Bradley. His first cousin, Tim, is an exhibition shooter for benelli. Last time I saw him at the trap range, he came in 3rd with a benelli m2 20 gauge. In his defense, he took every shot from behind his back. It was pretty impressive.
cannon
hunter

Postby BT Justice » Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:54 am

It's like everything else ,what the individual shooter feels his needs are and what you can afford or afford to finance that is.

I've shot with guys that had very high dollar custom fitted Perazzis, the guns fit them well and they were proud of them.
Did they make them any better shooters , I don't know.
I personally believe shooting is a learned skill for most, but there are those very few people who are naturally just better at it than other people, you could give them a standard off the shelf shotgun and they would outshoot most others.
BT Justice
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:19 am

I grant you , if you can shoot , it doesn't matter what gun you have ! The reason for a Real Trap Gun , as you prove yourself
on the 16 yd line shooting 100 straight ,then another 100 straight , you made the shoot-off . Now it's time to shoot maybe
another 200 straight to win the championship . With that event done , you shoot the handicap , beginning shooters start at
the 21 yd line . You win , you move back a yd or 2 . When you get to the 27 yd line you're ether very good or have went through
a couple wives , lots of money , many thousands of miles and several cases of alcohol and are over-weight . At this time your
thinking of writing a book ,making a video or selling trap guns for a living , just to pay your over-head so you can attend the
shoots and hear how good you WERE . The days of making any real money , are over . As people with a real natural ability to
shoot are smart enough to get an education , shoot for fun ,have good jobs and can afford to shoot expensive Trap Guns ! :yes:

I'm more interested in shooting Ducks , and , it can be just as bad , habit forming , physically broken down , taking a lot of
money and FUN along with my only Wife . :lol3: :lol3:
3200 man
hunter

Postby mudpack » Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:48 am

As a competitive trapshooter, I can tell you that...in general... the main functional advantage in a dedicated trap gun (over a field model) is the additional weight, durability, and adjustability of the trap gun.
They will NOT make you a better shooter, but they will allow you to become a better shooter more quickly and with greater comfort.

While I have several dedicated target guns, and would not think of taking them hunting, I do sometimes take my hunting guns to the 5-stand or sporting courses.

Are trap guns really worth it? That has to be decided on an individual basis. If you shoot trap once a month just for fun, then the cost is probably more than the return. If you are looking for anything that will gain you even one bird a day in competition, then a dedicated trap gun will be part of the whole program you should be following.

You don't have to spend five figures, either. A nice used Browning or Beretta trap gun should be easy to find for less than $3000.
mudpack
hunter

Postby cootlover » Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:54 pm

I think a lot of this is just BS to sell guns I can run 25 straight with my M2 20 ga shooting trap are skeet if you can shoot it really don't matter what your using as long as it fits.
cootlover
hunter

Postby KRB » Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:35 pm

I'm glad I miss now and then. If I never missed it would not be fun anymore.
KRB
hunter

Postby cluckmeister » Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:41 pm

The difference between a “Trap” gun and a “Field” gun.
Trap shooting is a specialized sport where you are shooting a rising target, and under normal situations, many targets in a single day. As such, “Trap” guns have evolved to “fit” this sport. More details in a moment.
A “Field” gun is a general term for guns used in the field for hunting, most generally birds. When thought of that way the distinction becomes easier to see. Generally a field gun is light, to make carrying it in sometimes-rough terrain easier. It may also be shorter to make it easier to wield in brushy environments. Further, a field gun is designed to be carried and then quickly shouldered when shot. The “sight plane” on a field gun results in what is called a “flat shooting” gun, that is to say, it shoots exactly where it is aimed. This works well when the quarry may be flying in any direction. Finally, field guns are rarely shot more than a few dozen times in most outings.
A trap gun is different first in that it is generally a pound or more heavier than a similar field gun. It’s simple physics, a heavier gun helps absorb recoil. This helps to make it more comfortable to shoot when in most competitions it is common to shoot hundreds of shells in a single meet.
A trap gun usually also has a longer barrel; in break open guns a 32” for over under and 34” in single barrels is the norm. With pumps and semi autos a 28” barrel is the minimum with 30” more common. A longer barrel helps with the sight plane and can also smooth out the swing to the target. Many times Trap guns have either a “Monte Carlo” or “Parallel” stock design that works well with the way trap is shot. Unlike hunting, you pre-mount the gun before calling for your target.
Trap guns generally have a rib that slopes to the front. This changes the point of impact and changes a flat shooting gun to one that shoots higher than where aimed. When pursuing rising targets it builds in the “Lead” needed to shoot them.
There are manufacturers that make both field and trap models of the same gun. Remington makes the 870 in “Express”, this would be what you would find at a WalMart or similar store. These are the field grade guns. There were older Wingmaster’s that were also generally field guns. They also make the 870 in a number of trap models, TB, TC, Classic Trap and others over the years. The semi auto Remington’s 1100 and 11-87 also come in both field and trap configurations. Browning makes its Citori’s in field grades, Sporting and Trap configurations. And of course there are dedicated Trap Guns such as the Browning BT- 99 single shot.
An “Express” would sell for around $300, an older used TB or TC in the $500 to $750 range and a new 870 Classic Trap for around $850. What do you get for the additional money? The major differences are as outlined above with trap versions being made from higher quality materials designed for the higher volume of shooting. It is not uncommon for a long time trap shooter to have fired well over 100,000 rounds through a gun with little in the way of maintenance. A field gun would never approach that longevity. They also have the design modifications mentioned and may even include advanced options such as an adjustable comb and or butt plate.

The bottom line is if you're shooting trap for fun that duck killer in the gun cabinet will be fine, but if you intend to seriously get involved in the sport and shoot thousands of rounds buy a high quality trap gun
cluckmeister
hunter

Postby C M Wings » Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:12 am

3200 man wrote:I grant you , if you can shoot , it doesn't matter what gun you have ! The reason for a Real Trap Gun , as you prove yourself
on the 16 yd line shooting 100 straight ,then another 100 straight , you made the shoot-off . Now it's time to shoot maybe
another 200 straight to win the championship . With that event done , you shoot the handicap , beginning shooters start at
the 21 yd line . You win , you move back a yd or 2 . When you get to the 27 yd line you're ether very good or have went through
a couple wives , lots of money , many thousands of miles and several cases of alcohol and are over-weight . At this time your
thinking of writing a book ,making a video or selling trap guns for a living , just to pay your over-head so you can attend the
shoots and hear how good you WERE . The days of making any real money , are over . As people with a real natural ability to
shoot are smart enough to get an education , shoot for fun ,have good jobs and can afford to shoot expensive Trap Guns ! :yes:

I'm more interested in shooting Ducks , and , it can be just as bad , habit forming , physically broken down , taking a lot of
money and FUN along with my only Wife . :lol3: :lol3:

My God is that funny and true!! Today's 27 yard-line is tomorrow's cardiac care unit patients. You used to be able to pay for your shooting by shooting well... maybe even make a dollar or two. And in those days there were LOTS of shooter, betting LOTS of money to boot. At a major shoot, you could walk away with some loot. Those days are gone.
Ducks
C M Wings
hunter

Postby ohio mike » Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:04 am

cootlover wrote:I think a lot of this is just BS to sell guns I can run 25 straight with my M2 20 ga shooting trap are skeet if you can shoot it really don't matter what your using as long as it fits.

It must be a terrible burden to be perfect. If I remember right you don't need a bead or rib either. :bow:
Life is to short to hunt with a ugly gun.
ohio mike
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:43 am

This is always fun to talk about and (CROW a little by a few) that don't understand the game of Trap .
There is only one way to get Crowing-Rights in this game , you put-up your money at Your State Shoot
and see if your picture is in Trap shooters magazine holding the trophy in a couple weeks . Dedicated
successful trap shooters know what it takes to average 97% and it's not shooting a hunting gun . :lol3:
3200 man
hunter

Postby cootlover » Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:26 pm

Sorry mike I never said nothing about a bead are rib and I am not perfect 25 straight is nothing but doing is very easy if you try. And FYI I only use the rib and so called bead when I am setting up my gun if your worry about them after that is why your not shooting 25s :thumbsup:
cootlover
hunter

Postby cluckmeister » Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:34 pm

Is it legal to ground swat those trap? LOL
cluckmeister
hunter

Postby KRB » Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:07 pm

cluckmeister wrote:Is it legal to ground swat those trap? LOL

Use your discretion :fingerpt:
KRB
hunter

Postby cannon » Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:10 pm

KRB wrote:
cluckmeister wrote:Is it legal to ground swat those trap? LOL

Use your discretion :fingerpt:

No lie: my daughter was practicing on the line last week when a pair of birds lit within 5 yards of the pit. She said "pull," pulled off the target, smoked one of the pair as it took off, and looked over her shoulder at the judge and then said "oops."

Daddy's girl.
cannon
hunter

Next

Return to Shotgun Forum