Trap Guns, are they really worth it?

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Re: Trap Guns, are they really worth it?

Postby cluckmeister » Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:18 pm

cannon wrote:
KRB wrote:
cluckmeister wrote:Is it legal to ground swat those trap? LOL

Use your discretion :fingerpt:

No lie: my daughter was practicing on the line last week when a pair of birds lit within 5 yards of the pit. She said "pull," pulled off the target, smoked one of the pair as it took off, and looked over her shoulder at the judge and then said "oops."

Daddy's girl.

Nice shot, the ultimate question is then, were clay pigeons in season LOL
Last edited by cluckmeister on Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you're there for the limit, you're there for the wrong reason
cluckmeister
State Moderator

Postby War Wagon » Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:25 pm

Here we go, I was on post 4 ....Wisconsin State ATA 5 Man Team Record.... :thumbsup:
Attachments
IMG_0091.JPG
War Wagon
hunter

Postby biscuitsandgravy » Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:42 pm

War Wagon wrote:Here we go, I was on post 4 ....Wisconsin State ATA 5 Man Team Record.... :thumbsup:

Nice shooting sir...... :beer:
biscuitsandgravy
hunter

Postby War Wagon » Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:53 pm

Thanks....
War Wagon
hunter

Postby Tealer » Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:47 pm

When I was a younger lad I shot a lot of trap and had a fancy gun. Mostly due to my size, at 6'4" and 330 most guns don't fit me. Well I found a great deal on a modified Perazzi and shot the piss out of it for 10 yrs. I was shooting a min 100 registered and a 5 gallon bucket or so playing games for side cash. I think that most guns are more capable of running a hundred, then the shooter. I think a gun that is fitted to you is far more important then the actual model.

BTW I have shot with one Olympians who have shot a Montefeltro, and two that shot 1100 synthetics with custom stocks.
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot

Postby mudpack » Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:42 am

cannon wrote:... my daughter was practicing on the line last week when a pair of birds lit within 5 yards of the pit. She said "pull," pulled off the target, smoked one of the pair as it took off, and looked over her shoulder at the judge and then said "oops."

Daddy's girl.

:lol3: me like
mudpack
hunter

Postby uglymug » Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:14 am

War Wagon wrote:Here we go, I was on post 4 ....Wisconsin State ATA 5 Man Team Record.... :thumbsup:

Hey War wagon where do you shoot? I'm at the North Bristol Sportsmans club.
uglymug
hunter

Postby cootlover » Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:22 pm

Nice shooting war what yardage were you guy's at.
cootlover
hunter

Postby War Wagon » Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:25 pm

That ATA event is a 5 man Team Shoot at the 16 yrd line.
War Wagon
hunter

Postby R. Chapman » Sun May 11, 2014 3:55 pm

uglymug wrote:I'm in a spring trap league and I'm shooting a Benelli Montefeltro. I do fairly well, averaging 23.5 or so per round. Now I see these guys with these custom made, Single-barrel, hydraulic-recoil, suspension-bridge rib, trap guns. I wonder if these actually make you a better shooter. Do they actually make a difference? It'd be one thing if these guns didn't cost as much as a car, but many of them do. What are your guys' thoughts on them? I don't even find them pretty to look at, the walnut is usually very nice, but the rest of the gun looks like a suspension bridge mated to an old sewer pipe.

It depends on how much you want to get into competitive trap (Registered ATA). If you're averaging right what you say you are averaging right now with a field gun, most likely that gun fits you very well. Just need some fine refinements in your shooting an you'll be averaging 24. 23.5 average is still competitive if you can do that in handicap (long distance). Most of the big dogs in the handicap from the 27 yard line are averaging about 92-94/100. That's over a course of 15,000-20,000 targets in a target year. I personally can't shoot a field gun well in trap. I don't have the correct build. The LOP is always too short, there it too much down pitch, to much drop at the comb and the heel, and the toe isn't long enough. My gun for trap is a Perazzi TMS made in the mid 70s. It's about a $2500 gun but I only paid $1200 for it. I then had it rebuilt and tightened, lot of barrel work down for it by Stu Wright, and bought a 6-way adjustable stock. That totaled up to about $2000 more into the gun. If you just want to shoot say 500 registered singles targets a year, look at a BT-99 or 100 from browning or an 870 or 1100 trap gun with an adjustable stock. If you're looking at getting into shooting anywhere from 1000-10,000 targets a year, I would like for a used Krieghoff KS or KX 5 or a Perazzi TM series, or possibly a Remington 90T if you can find one. They will serve you well and so will some of the mid price Perazzi's. If you are looking for the best fro shooting 10,000-20,000 or more targets a year, look at the Krieghoff K-80s, High End Perazzis, or Kolars.
Obummer's real name- Black Hussein Osama
R. Chapman
hunter

Postby biscuitsandgravy » Sun May 11, 2014 7:08 pm

Love my Ljutic!! :thumbsup:
biscuitsandgravy
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Mon May 12, 2014 6:20 am

Along with these Real Trap Guns , there is one thing that's quite evident !

The Bigger around you are , The better shooter you become ! :lol3: :yes:

Until you start shooting a Release Trigger as the pressure gets to you and your BP pills haven't kicked-in

You start drinking a lot of Beer ! :lol3: :lol3: :crying:
3200 man
hunter

Postby R. Chapman » Mon May 12, 2014 11:00 am

Who here actually shoots a release trigger. I can't stand them things.
R. Chapman
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Mon May 12, 2014 11:31 am

Not all but most of the fellas in the winners circle , bumping Bellies ! :lol3:

Release triggers are for Beer drinkers , you know ? The ones that can't have a beer before shooting ! :yes:
3200 man
hunter

Postby mudpack » Mon May 12, 2014 1:28 pm

Trap guns are worth is if you are a serious trap shooter.

Just as waterfowl guns are worth it if you are a serious waterfowler.

All depends on your priorities.
mudpack
hunter

Postby Leaky-NY » Mon May 12, 2014 2:49 pm

If you are going to shoot in a league and contest then the "trap" gun may be what you need if it is fitted to you. There are lots of folks who will shoot trap with their hunting guns. But as said if its the competition then spend the money. You wouldn't go race in an Indy or Nascar race professionaly with a Yugo. So if it helps you pull the trigger on a fitted trap gun and have fun.

Leaky
If it aint ducks, Dogs or boats I cant talk now!
Leaky-NY
hunter

Postby R. Chapman » Mon May 12, 2014 3:03 pm

3200 man wrote:Not all but most of the fellas in the winners circle , bumping Bellies ! :lol3:

Release triggers are for Beer drinkers , you know ? The ones that can't have a beer before shooting ! :yes:

I almost shot a trap boys head off the first time I tried a release trigger in the TMS. I threw the gun up, set the trigger, and right I said pull, he poked his head out of the trap house. I don't know how I didn't let go because I normally get the birds right out of the house. Literally they don't get more than 15-20 feet out of the house before I crush them. On a good day, no more than 10 feet. After that incident, I had the smith change it back to a pull. It could have ended badly.
R. Chapman
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Tue May 13, 2014 6:06 am

Wow ! It doesn't sound like that trap-boy was educated enough to be in a trap-house , someone dropped the ball there ?
With ( Cone/flag first , then head ) being one of the first safety moves taught as a trap-boy ,the range master didn't do his
job .
Shooting a release trigger takes some thought , it's a natural move once you understand its benefits ! To bad you didn't
have more experience with it as it's one of the options shooters have after shooting many thousands of rounds and develop
a flinch . It does ( for some ) allow them to continue shooting but , it does take practice and a mental awareness to shoot one .
With knowing how the release trigger works , they can be just as safe as a pull trigger , operator-error can happen with both
kinds of triggers . Shooting trap type targets there are many shooters using them , nowadays too !
3200 man
hunter

Postby R. Chapman » Tue May 13, 2014 7:12 am

I know I haven't put out nearly 75k rounds, I'm hovering above 40,000-50,000. That's just the number for all the practice targets and registered combined. Nothing wrong with a release but I think there are other ways to overcome a flinch. If you looked at the big dogs like Leo, Harlan, Brad Dysinger, Britt Robbinson, And Nora Ross, just to name a few, they all have always shot pull triggers an still do, other than Phil Kiner and Ray Stafford I believe. It's not a scientific guess but it's more "natural" to pull than release. Then again, I could be wrong to.

Sent from the middle of nowhere.
R. Chapman
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Tue May 13, 2014 7:52 am

Hey , I'm not saying a release trigger is good for everyone and I too believe ( a trigger with more lb-age ) is better for
curing flinching but , for some , it's the last resort before retiring from the sport of trap shooting ! Like I said , a mental
awareness as to how a release trigger operates , is paramount to its safety , just like a pull trigger .

You have named a few Big Dogs in the sport that haven't the need for a release trigger but , if they did , ( with lively hoods
at stake ) I'm sure they would use one , if it helped !
3200 man
hunter

Postby R. Chapman » Tue May 13, 2014 10:30 am

Different strokes for different folks. I look at it in the way of how most of the big dogs are doing it. I'd be willing to bet that each one has shot at nearly 1.5 million targets in their target career (Practice and registered) and I'd be willing to bet that everyone had a bad flinch not just once but multiple times. They figured out how to cure it without going to a release trigger. Definitely other ways of curing the flinch. But remember, this isn't scientific. If you can shoot a release trigger, bravo to you. For me, it's just way too much to think about on the line. In my experience, that's what will kill you in a big shoot if you have to constantly and consciously keep telling yourself what and how to do something. For myself, it's just one less thing I have to worry about and think about to keep my attention with what's going on out in front of the trap house than what's going on with the gun. :thumbsup:
R. Chapman
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Tue May 13, 2014 1:12 pm

No , It's a natural move for some and there are great shooters shooting both the release and pull triggers at trap targets .

I have also been around competitive clay target shooting for 50 plus years so , as we differ with our thoughts , let's just

say , what's good for you Great but , Phillips , smith , Alhems and many others make good release triggers that top shooters

use ! :yes:
3200 man
hunter

Postby R. Chapman » Tue May 13, 2014 8:56 pm

But why would you need a different trigger mechanism on a 3200?! That's the best mechanical trigger known to man! ;) :thumbsup:

Sent from the middle of nowhere.
R. Chapman
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Wed May 14, 2014 7:13 am

I know and I don't on the 3200's
I have a Phillips on the XLR5 , Teckny
Smith and a Ore on Mod 12's
Factory on a MX 3 special combo
and a factory in the MX 12 L

Trap guns I shoot release
Hunting , Sporting clay guns ....Pull

It's all a Natural Awareness and your mental ability to be a good shooter !
3200 man
hunter

Postby cannon » Wed May 14, 2014 9:29 pm

Alright then, trap shooting aficionados who are certain that only a "real" trap gun will do for anyone who could ever hope to be a contender on the line: what is the right trap gun? And don't hand me any "the one that fits" crap, either -- if you have two functional arms, any gun can be modified to fit properly. I've heard that one must not use a "hunting" gun for trap if he or she is serious about the sport (FWIW, I suspect that Tim Bradley & Knapp, we're he alive, would both disagree). Nonetheless, the experts have spoken. So, Educate me. What qualifies a firearm as an appropriate trap gun? Suspension bridge sights? Fat stock? Well figured furniture? Price tag in excess of $15,000? Release trigger? Ported barrel? Flames painted on the side? Lengthened forcing cones? Back-boring?

If it's longevity, a $700 BT-99 will get me to the end of my life. If it's pattern performance it's a crap shoot, especially when trying to fine tune 2 barrels that are designed to shoot at different trajectories. If it's fit, I can have ANY gun modified to fit any way I want it. If it's porting, I can't see the utility in it. If it's light recoil, there's no sense in shooting some high-dollar unsingle. Make me understand what brand of dedicated trap gun is the right one, and why. Thus far, my exposure to competitive trap is limited to the the school team my daughter shoots on, but if high dollar guns make you a better shooter, these kids are clearly retarded.

I'm open to debate on the subject, as my daughter is new to competing, and I'll certainly do what's necessary to advance her if she decides that she's serious about it (she's only 13). On the other hand, I watched her shoot next to a 16 year old kid who was sporting a Perazzi. He shot a 10. She shot a 22 with a stock Browning Silver Hunter. The girl on her other side shot a perfect round with a Maxus. The other two on the line were sporting doubles. One I could readily identify as a 725 trap, but the other I wasn't sure about. They both shot in the teens. They obviously missed the memo.

What are the top 3 winningest guns in the sport of trap, both in a contemporary setting and in terms of historical performance over the last 30 years? Is there any consensus among those of you who claim expertise as to what the top 10 guns in the sport are? Other than an adjustable stock and possibly an elevated rib, what is the difference between an 1187 premier and an 1187 Trap? 391 and 391 trap?

Like I said, educate me.
Smell that? Smells like sumthin died in here.
cannon
hunter

Location: At the stop sign in the ditch at Byers Farm, unlocking the gate.

PreviousNext

Return to Shotgun Forum