Trap Guns, are they really worth it?

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Re: Trap Guns, are they really worth it?

Postby 3200 man » Fri May 23, 2014 6:58 am

In the hay-days of the 80's , you could win 15,000 for HOA along with ( if you were Lucky ) playing the Calcutta another
4 to 5 thousand . This would bring in the Factory Boys offering you stuff , to peddle their goods . It was a time that could
bring ( Vendors row ) to a shoot selling just about any thing you needed , to be or look like a Trap Shooter . A lot of give-
away stuff , just to promote their goods . Other than The Grand American , now , Thanks to John Martin and his wife . most
State shoots are less than 500 shooters and only a few , plays the money , other than the Lewis class trying to get Lucky .
The OLD DAYS were a lot of Fun as the (Showmen of its time) were something to see . I shoot with a ALL Time Great
Shooter ( his name is Dan ) and when the 2 Dans got together , Calcutta's , were a investment , maybe !
Records were broke then and they stand today , as , only stories are written about them ( which is good ) as this gives
old fellas like me ( who was at most of these shoots ) something to read , and remember The Good Old Days !
3200 man
hunter

Postby R. Chapman » Fri May 23, 2014 9:54 am

Yep. A fellow friend of mine who started back in the 70s and shot a lot in the 80s says the same thing. I hate the Calcutta, especially when you shoot really good, it's hard to buy yourself.

Sent from the middle of nowhere.
Obummer's real name- Black Hussein Osama
R. Chapman
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Fri May 23, 2014 2:58 pm

I use to look at it this way , 30% added to the pie made for a good week of shooting , given the 70 % to the buyer that
( in most cases ) didn't shoot well but , did invest his money wisely , he hoped !

I could name a bunch of Trap Shooting Best but , I don't want to leave someone out !

That Okie dressed in white was a showman , he shoots sporting clays now was fun to talk to .
I remember a fella , the more he ate , the better he shot .
and the wheeler and dealer from your neck of the woods , everything he had was for sale , signs everywhere .
Then there was Dan , the man to beat but , hard to catch if you missed , (1)

Love it !
3200 man
hunter

Postby R. Chapman » Fri May 23, 2014 9:20 pm

3200 man wrote:I use to look at it this way , 30% added to the pie made for a good week of shooting , given the 70 % to the buyer that
( in most cases ) didn't shoot well but , did invest his money wisely , he hoped !

I could name a bunch of Trap Shooting Best but , I don't want to leave someone out !

That Okie dressed in white was a showman , he shoots sporting clays now was fun to talk to .
I remember a fella , the more he ate , the better he shot .
and the wheeler and dealer from your neck of the woods , everything he had was for sale , signs everywhere .
Then there was Dan , the man to beat but , hard to catch if you missed , (1)

Love it !

Oh yes! I think the best showman I ever saw (on youtube) was John Satterwhite. Damn he could work an 870 pump faster than an automatic.
R. Chapman
hunter

Postby DuckManClyde » Fri May 23, 2014 9:39 pm

Great video...kept me entertained all 9 sumn minutes hahah
If offended, and or irritated with the above post, please refer to my caring face :hi:
DuckManClyde
hunter

Postby R. Chapman » Sat May 24, 2014 8:47 am

The thing about him was he had a voice that was pleasurable to listen to. Nothing against Tim Bradley or Tom Knapp but I can't and couldn't stand to listen to them. Their voice is annoying.

R. Chapman
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Sat May 24, 2014 1:20 pm

With Knapp and Bradley and all the rest of the exhibition shooters , I alway thought ( What a Gods gift ) they have or had !
But , I also wondered if they could compete with the Worlds Champs ,because , you don't see them ( in the last 50 yrs ) record
books of ATA ,PITA , NSCA / NSSA or the World Championships . I also have watched them perform on U Tube and video's ,
thinking maybe they could be , but , as we know , money is what they were after ?

Thank Goodness they are Showman , to entertain US ! :thumbsup:
3200 man
hunter

Postby R. Chapman » Sat May 24, 2014 8:24 pm

I don't know if you knew this but Satterwhite was on the USA Olympic skeet team in the late 70s I believe. When Knapp was here doing a show, after his show and when he was around talking to others, I challenged him at a round of trap, whoever lost had to buy a burger for the other. He was a decent 16 yard shooter but when we took it back to the 27, it went downhill for him. Was still a lot of fun.

R. Chapman
hunter

Postby cannon » Sat May 24, 2014 8:56 pm

R. Chapman wrote:The thing about him was he had a voice that was pleasurable to listen to. Nothing against Tim Bradley or Tom Knapp but I can't and couldn't stand to listen to them. Their voice is annoying.

I know Tim. He is an anomaly. What he can do with a pistol or rifle makes his scattergun skills look lackluster. It's a gift. He's just a shooter.
Smell that? Smells like sumthin died in here.
cannon
hunter

Location: At the stop sign in the ditch at Byers Farm, unlocking the gate.

Postby R. Chapman » Sun May 25, 2014 11:19 am

Never said he was bad, I've seen some of those homemade videos he has done. Some really cool stuff. One that really sticks out is when he throws a golf ball up and pops it with a .22 and it lands in a hole he created or something, that was just cool.

R. Chapman
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Sun May 25, 2014 6:47 pm

Fellas from Arkansas are easily amused............................... :yes: :lol3:

If you want to see World Class ? go onto U tube and watch George Digweed break targets at 130 yds .

Now this wasn't a saw-off pump gun ,with a open choke and there wasn't no trick shooting involved , just damn good

ability in seeing the line and shooting the lead . With so many World Championships under his belt , he's called

King George for a reason................And this is in ALL Clay Target Disciplines .

He's a showman too , for money !
3200 man
hunter

Postby DuckManClyde » Sun May 25, 2014 8:20 pm

Chubby english fellow w/ an over under? I feel like iv seen that vid before
If offended, and or irritated with the above post, please refer to my caring face :hi:
DuckManClyde
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Sun May 25, 2014 10:13 pm

Yep , that's him ! Watch him shoot pigeons on u tube , there's no mistake they are in trouble at 65/70 yds ?

At the World Ironman here in the States , top money was on the line , he did show his ability at International Skeet , Bunker

trap , double trap and Fitasc , not saying our home boys didn't give him a run for the money but , King George did show

them , why he is the World Champion Shotgun Shooter !

He does get beat at times but , not very often .
3200 man
hunter

Postby threedogs » Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:10 pm

I have outshot many many of the guns on the trap field with a field grade 870 wing master . I think it's a penis or lack of comp. But then again I shoot mostly skeet these days with a field grade O/U as trap, for me , is too easy .
Thread Killer
threedogs
hunter

Postby cootlover » Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:24 pm

3 dog you just opened a can of worms you have to have a trap gun to shoot trap PERIOD :biggrin:
cootlover
hunter

Postby threedogs » Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:25 pm

cootlover wrote:3 dog you just opened a can of worms you have to have a trap gun to shoot trap PERIOD :biggrin:

Yeah , I know but I have won a ton of money shooting field grade guns . :thumbsup:
Thread Killer
threedogs
hunter

Postby mudpack » Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:04 am

threedogs wrote: I shoot mostly skeet these days .... as trap, for me , is too easy .

Interesting. 99% of shooters who are really good at clays will opine that skeet is the easier game.

Instead of "easy", I think you mean "monotonous" when describing American trap. Even the very best trapshooters don't say it's easy. Shooting trap is easy. Shooting winning trap scores is anything but.
mudpack
hunter

Postby threedogs » Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:22 am

mudpack wrote:
threedogs wrote: I shoot mostly skeet these days .... as trap, for me , is too easy .

Interesting. 99% of shooters who are really good at clays will opine that skeet is the easier game.

Instead of "easy", I think you mean "monotonous" when describing American trap. Even the very best trapshooters don't say it's easy. Shooting trap is easy. Shooting winning trap scores is anything but.

Yes, American trap is monotonous and for me it's pretty darn easy . Sporting Clays is a little tougher than either of the afore mentioned . Regardless , a dedicated gun such as my K80 and browning Pro Comp is not needed it's just eye candy . I still revert back to my trusty Wing Master for trap and Siles 410 O/U to shoot skeet with .
Thread Killer
threedogs
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:13 am

This would be a suggestion for threedogs !

Ben Avery , North of Phoenix offers a viridity of shooting disciplines you mite want to consider , that pay good money
to the winner , along with Las Vegas County Shooting Park just to name a couple . You pay your money to compete and
you'll see , just how good you are ! I'm sure you will be entertained with all the , Clubs have to offer .

And , if you do have the ability that you speak of , don't wast it on this forum when there's money to be made and
your Name will go up in Lights.......Like the Champions we Admire in the record Books , that , shoot competition guns !

PS , don't wast your talent on a keyboard , you could be a blinking Star , that needs to Shine Bright ? Maybe .
3200 man
hunter

Postby threedogs » Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:35 pm

3200 man wrote:This would be a suggestion for threedogs !

Ben Avery , North of Phoenix offers a viridity of shooting disciplines you mite want to consider , that pay good money
to the winner , along with Las Vegas County Shooting Park just to name a couple . You pay your money to compete and
you'll see , just how good you are ! I'm sure you will be entertained with all the , Clubs have to offer .

And , if you do have the ability that you speak of , don't wast it on this forum when there's money to be made and
your Name will go up in Lights.......Like the Champions we Admire in the record Books , that , shoot competition guns !

PS , don't wast your talent on a keyboard , you could be a blinking Star , that needs to Shine Bright ? Maybe .

Been the done that . I'm in Tucson now . Three gun matches are old hat retired now . Have a good dream.......
Thread Killer
threedogs
hunter

Postby cootlover » Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:31 pm

3 dog awhile back I was talking about shooting 27yard trap with my 28 ga and was basically called a lair but what ever. what I am getting at if you can shoot you can pretty much shoot anything. But at the end of the day if don't shoot for scores it don't count :thumbsup:
cootlover
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Sat Jun 14, 2014 11:21 am

Coot

I would never call someone a Liar that can shoot straight ! I would say , when that good shooter is shooting from the
27 yd line , with a 28 ga , he's a lucky fella if he can break more than 20 in a round ! There again , if you have the eyesite
and the reflexes to shoot a target within 10 yds out of the house , you are a gifted shooter !

I love my 28's and feel I know what their limitations are , with 3/4 oz of shot !

Sorry for doubting your ability ! :thumbsup:
3200 man
hunter

Postby cootlover » Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:18 pm

If I do it all the time it's not called luck :thumbsup: I have people tell me all the time they can't believe a 20 ga are 28 ga can shoot so far I think to myself they don't get it . I love the 28 ga I have a model 37 Ithaca 28 ga with AAA wood man it shoots as good as it looks.
cootlover
hunter

Postby threedogs » Sat Jun 14, 2014 2:32 pm

cootlover wrote:If I do it all the time it's not called luck :thumbsup: I have people tell me all the time they can't believe a 20 ga are 28 ga can shoot so far I think to myself they don't get it . I love the 28 ga I have a model 37 Ithaca 28 ga with AAA wood man it shoots as good as it looks.

I duck hunt with my 410 sometimes . Not a big deal at all just pick my shots . 11/16 ths #6 Expert steel shot .
Thread Killer
threedogs
hunter

Postby cootlover » Sat Jun 14, 2014 3:29 pm

Sorry a 410 wont kill a duck :yes: I had a 1100 one of my best days shooting it was when I shot four 24 low gun at skeet .I ran 25 many times I just had to snicker at four 24.
cootlover
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Shotgun Forum