Lets talk shotgun shells

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Your so right

Postby Ducks » Sun Apr 17, 2005 4:07 pm

You make alota sence brother,so its proven ,,,,,,, I am with you on everything you have said.I have worked all over this great country as a union electricial ,,,, well 21 years so far and have had the chance to go duck hunting with alota good brothers in many states,,, this you say is a fact..The truth is not hard for anyone to see,, I was only teasing you because it is the type of truth we speak of when working on the road in other locals as well.. I might be young then I may be older I am 42 in age and all good respectfull people have a place to hunt with me my brother ..... God bless your words are so correct ! :thumbsup:
Arkansas is the Natural state!
Pick up your shells!
Ducks
Banned

Postby Felsenthal » Mon Apr 18, 2005 5:03 am

Hey Ducks:

If it were not for Unions, there would be no middle class. I am hacked off at you guys right now though for not getting tougher with our politicians about keeping our borders wide open and for not raising cain over what i here is about to happen with our sorry Congress allowing China to start shipping cars over here.

I am not really mad but we need to be writing our elected officials.

Have a great week
" Never show up as a guest on a hunt with your dog. Never take the best shooting spot. Leave the call in your pocket. Never ask to come back. Keep your mouth shut after the hunt. Always bring gifts. "
Felsenthal
hunter

Postby Swamp Puppy » Mon Apr 18, 2005 10:35 am

Felsenthal wrote:3" #6 Hevi Shot

The be all end all in close range mallard killing

yeah, but at 15 bucks for 10 shells...whoooohie. i can buy three boxes of 1oz #2's that fly pretty fast for that much change. and fast #2 steel is a pretty effective duck killer itself.
Friends Don't Let Friends Shoot Mossbergs.
Swamp Puppy
hunter

Postby tengoose1 » Mon Apr 18, 2005 11:47 am

It doesnt matter what size of shell you are using or gauge if you cant point it in the right direction, but in the hands of a good shooter you will see the difference in the larger bores and longer shells. There are exceptions to every rule but most generally bigger will be more effective at the longer ranges. Choosing the proper shot size is also a major factor of effective range. T sized shot is used for geese normally and would probably not carry a good duck pattern at the longer ranges. How many people use lead 4's for doves? Sure it would kill them but you wouldnt have a very good pattern at the farther ranges. From what I have seen and this is my personal thought on the matter you want to throw the smallest size shot that will have enough oomph to take the bird at the range you expect to be shooting and use the fastest heaviest charge that you can get good patterns out of.
tengoose1
hunter

Postby had » Mon Apr 18, 2005 4:34 pm

ten goose wrote:
From what I have seen and this is my personal thought on the matter you want to throw the smallest size shot that will have enough oomph to take the bird at the range you expect to be shooting and use the fastest heaviest charge that you can get good patterns out of.

thats right. :thumbsup: ever eat a dove after being shot with #4 lead?
This site is about having some fun, learning, helping others, and enjoying the commaradre' of other waterfowl hunters. And if you do not like those 4 things, then do not let the door hit you on the way out of here.
had
hunter

Postby Trois_beaux_canards » Mon Apr 18, 2005 6:15 pm

Felsenthal wrote:An old timer gave me some sage advice about duck hunting...These old mores have been lost in the " me " society we live in my good man.

In the olden days, a newcomer or guest never even pulled out their duck...left your dog at home...always came to a hunt with soft drinks or snacks in hand and you thanked you host for the opportunity. You never spoke in public after a hunt about what yoiu killed either. Still today in the South and along the old river camps in IL, it is considered bad manners to pull your call out univited.

This is some awfully good advice, and I always follow it. I hunt deer, ducks and grouse with a very gracious buddy on his family's property. He and they always get a gift of thanks, we supply the food and much of the beverages...and of course share our kills.
There is one point I have contention with. So many people boast of thier kills. There is nothing wrong with it in the right company, and if it is done so in private. But to hear some drunk talk about how he shot the leg off of one deer, saw it and nicked it the second year, then somehow it managed to survive only to be killed at the end of the archery season...this kind of story does not appeal well to a large amount of the public and is not going to convince anyone they should try hunting either. I'm not sure what there is to brag about in being a poor shot, and likely having the need to make more sound decisions. True or not, it doesn't paint a good picture of hunters.
It's good to be excited about your day afield, but keep it in the "family". If you can't do that, then just say:"it was a good day".
Trois_beaux_canards
hunter

this is to my brother Felsenthal

Postby Ducks » Mon Apr 18, 2005 8:21 pm

brother Felsenthal
, let me say this ,,,, you need not to be hacked at me my brother I am no longer in the union as it`s not the same union I joined 21 years ago. My kids are reised brother I have learned there is more to life than the union I now work for my father or dad what ever you wording you wish to choose laying carpet and floor covering. And further more ,,,,,, BRother I read everything you write cause to me the sun does sit on you ass,. Your a good person I wish to be around one day .... now thats my wish ,,, people like you to me are the type I wish to have company around !
I can`t say that for everyone I know :thumbsup: I read everything and will continue to do so..... your a person to me the way I fell is "true", thus MAKES YOU A BROTHER !
you will always have a place reserved in my blind "BROTHER"
Pick up your shells!
Ducks
Banned

the reason for my post

Postby Ducks » Mon Apr 18, 2005 8:40 pm

The reason for my post is to get people to thinking is all my good buddys
it was to keep me on track also as to what all the talk is about also in my hunting click. There are good people that think we are gods, hecks fire I am nothing but myself, I am a nobody. Justa poor feller making his way thru life making choices! My choice is to "Duck hunt"
I told a lady today I have been single 11 years because , and trust me this is coming from the heart.I dog gone don`t want my next wife to be a duck hunter, she laughed and said what is she isn`t, I said I don`t give her the time of day other than how ya do mamm. To me a woman, lets say "first love would be" a woman that has her own shotgun, and knows how to blow a duck call that would make me giggle and do funny things I normaly wouldn`t do. Suck as buying a house . My brothers I have gave away 2 houses whats money when you don`t have everything ,this everything I speak of is the love for the sport for duck hunting .Now whats that make me ?.........11 years I awate for this and nother thing I wish to add is thy in the hell aren`t there more women duck hunting ? Hells bells, didn`t anyone tell them its like being part of a painting? the love and luster it brings, the ducks decending, the dun red the chill< the break of sunrise, the many things that bring a duck hunt without even shooting a shell! By gosh I state this with a tear in my eye as I ome to a close, Take your wifes out to see such splinder :thumbsup: Gods love my brothers :smile:
Pick up your shells!
Ducks
Banned

sorry

Postby Ducks » Mon Apr 18, 2005 8:49 pm

sorry fellas, ya`ll will have to make the best of what I type, hecks fire, I been working 14 hours a day when I typed that,,, once again sorry buddys,
make the best of it and know my heart is in the right place.
Pick up your shells!
Ducks
Banned

Previous

Return to Shotgun Forum