Availability of Remington 2014 shotguns

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Availability of Remington 2014 shotguns

Postby archery1973 » Wed May 21, 2014 10:01 am

Does anybody know when the Versa Max LH and Versa Max Waterfowl Pro will be at the dealers?
archery1973
hunter

Re: Availability of Remington 2014 shotguns

Postby youngoilguy » Wed May 21, 2014 1:13 pm

With all their recalls it may be a while
assateague wrote:I hunt to kill. It's why I take a gun instead of a camera. And it's a goose- lighten up.

best quote ever
youngoilguy
hunter

Postby Steele22 » Wed May 21, 2014 3:31 pm

At 1730 dollars for a gas operated gun, who cares
Steele22
hunter

Postby lovethosesooners » Wed May 21, 2014 4:43 pm

In light of the 2 bashes, I'll take up for Remington!

The Versamax is my favorite shotgun-liked the 1st enough to have bought a 2nd in MODB.

Very easy to clean, points where I aim, softest of any I've shot (which includes numerous brands), it will fire anything I'll ever put through it, and I find it to be one of the better values of any of the more expensive semi-autos (paid approx. $1000 for the black one and less than $1200 for the MODB at Grabagun).

The weight is approx. 1# heavier than my 2nd favorite (Maxus, and now maybe an Auto 5), which is of course part of why it's recoil is so light, but also makes it one I won't be using for pheasant/quail hunts.

My understanding is that the new waterfowl pro is to be shipping anytime now.
lovethosesooners
hunter

Postby Tgunz64 » Wed May 21, 2014 7:24 pm

Just trying to copy The Benelli SBE2 Waterfowl Edition. Never cared for Remington autos. Seen too many malfunction. I stick to Beretta and Benelli. Bang every time!
Tgunz64
hunter

Postby Steele22 » Wed May 21, 2014 7:47 pm

:lol: about time I get some backing on the benellis on here. 3 bangs and no jamming is priceless
Steele22
hunter

Postby archery1973 » Wed May 21, 2014 9:35 pm

I have two SBE II. I'd just like to try a Versa Max now they are offered in LH. I didn't think it was so controversial.
archery1973
hunter

Postby Seaark18 » Wed May 21, 2014 10:45 pm

They are great guns. I like my first so much that I bought a second when I found a good deal. I have a lot of guns, and I don't think there is a better 3.5" autoloader out there for waterfowl hunting. I'd also consider an SX3 if upland hunts were on the table.
Seaark18
hunter

Postby Bug Doc » Thu May 22, 2014 7:56 am

youngoilguy wrote:With all their recalls it may be a while

Yeah, one recall for a couple thousand units four years ago for a hammer that was slightly out of spec. Affected units actually worked fine, but Rem recalled them anyway. No recalls since.

Steele22 wrote:At 1730 dollars for a gas operated gun, who cares

Because an inertia gun for $2669 is such a better deal? :tongue:

http://www.benelliusa.com/performance-s ... wl-edition

In reality, Versamax Waterfowl Pro models retail for around $1350. Comparable Beretta Xtreme A-400 models retail for about $1650 and Benelli SBE 2's for about $1700. Sounds like a bargain to me.

Tgunz64 wrote:Never cared for Remington autos. Seen too many malfunction.

I've seen very, very few reports of Versamax cycling issues. The vast majority of users report reliable functioning with almost any load, even when extremely dirty.
Bug Doc
hunter

Postby hamernhonkers » Thu May 22, 2014 8:26 am

Bug Doc wrote:

Yeah, one recall for a couple thousand units four years ago for a hammer that was slightly out of spec. Affected units actually worked fine, but Rem recalled them anyway. No recalls since.

In reality, Versamax Waterfowl Pro models retail for around $1350. Comparable Beretta Xtreme A-400 models retail for about $1650 and Benelli SBE 2's for about $1700. Sounds like a bargain to me.

I've seen very, very few reports of Versamax cycling issues. The vast majority of users report reliable functioning with almost any load, even when extremely dirty.

This

My gun only has one year under its belt so far but Its really looking good so far!

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk
Hello

David wrote:
I have suspended the suspension on the suspended, allowing the suspended to post in a non-suspending manner.
hamernhonkers
hunter

Postby BurninPowder » Thu May 22, 2014 3:04 pm

hamernhonkers wrote:
Bug Doc wrote:

This

My gun only has one year under its belt so far but Its really looking good so far!

I'll concur with hamernhonkers and Bug Doc here. My VM has a little over two years under it's belt with no cycling issues... NONE. The misinformation thats being spread about the VM is unbelieveable. I guess in the eyes of the uninformed gunner, the VM could be confused with the 1187. But in fact they are two completely different designs. And to the naysayers that claim the VM is a "copy" of the SBE2... More misconception and misinformation. One substaintial difference... SBE2=inertia VM=gas Some parts may be similar ie: bolt, trigger, etc. they are not interchangeable.(it's been tried) In fact the operating system of the VM is more akin to the Benelli M4. So before you embarrass yourself on any other forum, do a little research and be informed on the topic at hand before you speak. :thumbsup:
BurninPowder
hunter

Postby TuJays » Thu May 22, 2014 4:37 pm

:clapping:
I agree with BP and would encourage anyone on a open forum to not base a opinion on ignorance and then most certainly not to type it.
The VM is unlike any semi auto out there today. There is no simpler design, period! and its gas operating system can handle any shell you stick in it without blinking. It's light felt recoil must be experience to be believed and it is gaining support from real hunters and shooters at an amazing rate.
As I have said many times since getting mine on January 5th 2011....."I will not waterfowl hunt without my Versa Max"!
I have done so much for so long with so little, I am now qualified to do anything with nothing!
TuJays
hunter

Postby Tgunz_64 » Thu May 22, 2014 9:42 pm

I haven't seen the versa max in action. What I was referring to as seeing too many Rems malfunction was the 1100 and 11-87 and also their 7400 auto rifle. I just can't see going remington auto yet because of the things I've witnessed. Plus I don't like how they feel anyway. And yes I am well informed the VM has the new gas system that allows so many gas ports to be open depending on length of shell and that the SBE2 is inertia. Just saying the VM pro is copying Benelli with the longer bolt handle, oversized release, safety. Now don't get spastic on our opinions you Remmy lovers! :lol3:
Tgunz_64
hunter

Postby cluckmeister » Thu May 22, 2014 10:15 pm

Ive got 2 Model 1100 Field grades, 2 1100 G3s, 3 870s, 2 1187s and a SP10 . Ive put these guns thru thousands of rounds over a 40 year period and have never had a jamming issue, I hunt with 5 others guys who also shoot Rems and when hunting with me I haven't witnessed any malfunctions EXCEPT when the gun was dirty. Ive found that with Remingtons its more the owners fault for bad maintenance on the gun and not the actual gun at fault. With that said I cant voice a opinion on the quality of the new Remingtons. The newest I own is a 2007 model 1100 and the fit form and function is superb. However I would like to get my hands on a new Versa just to scrutinize it a bit
If you're there for the limit, you're there for the wrong reason
cluckmeister
hunter

Postby BurninPowder » Fri May 23, 2014 6:46 am

As far as no personal experience with the VM. Tujays and many others have provided more than enough reading and personal experience right here saving you much of the leg work. http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtop ... 5&t=244957
And to the 1100. A tried and true design that has been around since 1963 with millions of followers. Here's a simple durability test to determine how many rounds it takes without cleaning before it begins to malfunction.http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtop ... 3&t=370393
As to the more late model express 1187s and 870s. Definitely not a shining moment in Remington history but the VM has not been a victim of these QC issues. One thing that remains consistent with Remington is their customer service. In my opinion it's bar none. They stand behind their firearms when issues arrise.
BurninPowder
hunter

Postby TuJays » Fri May 23, 2014 9:04 am

thanks BP.....as you know I have done my best to physically destroy my Versa Max to no avail, including 4 brutal waterfowl season. Because of this misery bestowed on my VM it only made it better as reflected in the ones available for purchase today.
Having hunted waterfowl now for over 4 decades I can assure you that the Versa Max is the best thing to happen to waterfowl hunting since the invention of lead shot.
For competition shooting I still have my group of seven 1100's and two wingmasters.
For unland birds I still have my four Spanish doubles.
For waterfowl as of 2011, all my B guns have been sold and the Versa Max is it. There is no comparison, the Versa max wins hands down in my opinion.
you men can say "yea but it has this from this b gun and this from this b gun", but many parts on all shotguns bare a close resemblance! do they not all have similar looking barrels with holes in the end for the shot to come out?
Using a good idea is well, a good ideal, and shows a very smart marketing concept by Remington.

and for the record, the 887's, 1187's and 870 Express shotguns with all of their problems are built to a price point to compete for a certain market, one that sales a lot of shotguns to folks who otherwise may not be able to purchase one, especially their first.
I have yet to forgive Remington for putting/associating the Express with the numbers 8, 7, 0 in any way and probably never will. I view this as one of their worst mistakes ever!!!
I have done so much for so long with so little, I am now qualified to do anything with nothing!
TuJays
hunter

Postby BurninPowder » Fri May 23, 2014 9:26 am

TuJays wrote:you men can say "yea but it has this from this b gun and this from this b gun", but many parts on all shotguns bare a close resemblance! do they not all have similar looking barrels with holes in the end for the shot to come out?
Using a good idea is well, a good ideal, and shows a very smart marketing concept by Remington!

Love the facetiousness! Your subtle humor is only rivaled by your vast knowledge of the topic at hand. Again thanks for all you did during the early R&D of this fine firearm. I, as you, will not be without my VM during waterfowl season and it shows no signs of leaving me in that predicament. I also echo your sentiments with the Express line. Good idea, poor execution!
BurninPowder
hunter

Postby cluckmeister » Fri May 23, 2014 9:37 am

BurninPowder wrote:
TuJays wrote:you men can say "yea but it has this from this b gun and this from this b gun", but many parts on all shotguns bare a close resemblance! do they not all have similar looking barrels with holes in the end for the shot to come out?
Using a good idea is well, a good ideal, and shows a very smart marketing concept by Remington!

Love the facetiousness! Your subtle humor is only rivaled by your vast knowledge of the topic at hand. Again thanks for all you did during the early R&D of this fine firearm. I, as you, will not be without my VM during waterfowl season and it shows no signs of leaving me in that predicament. I also echo your sentiments with the Express line. Good idea, poor execution!

That last sentence sums up things very well. Remington needed a entry level shotgun to compete price wise with the Mossbergs and invented the express line. they should of never used the same model numbers.
If you're there for the limit, you're there for the wrong reason
cluckmeister
hunter

Postby TuJays » Fri May 23, 2014 10:29 am

cluckmeister wrote:
BurninPowder wrote:

That last sentence sums up things very well. Remington needed a entry level shotgun to compete price wise with the Mossbergs and invented the express line. they should of never used the same model numbers.

Exactly :mad: :huh: :mad:
TuJays
hunter

Postby Specklebelly » Fri May 23, 2014 6:39 pm

In all fairness to the haters the VM did have another issue that Remington fixed. The end cap coming loose but an easy fix was made available.

The VM is a great gun and I really like mine. I have had it a few years and it has shot a lot of ducks. The only better gun is the SP-10.
I love my SP-10
Specklebelly
hunter

Postby TuJays » Fri May 23, 2014 7:59 pm

Specklebelly wrote:In all fairness to the haters the VM did have another issue that Remington fixed. The end cap coming loose but an easy fix was made available.

The VM is a great gun and I really like mine. I have had it a few years and it has shot a lot of ducks. The only better gun is the SP-10.

this is true and in all fairness it had three other issue that they fixed, but none led to a recall and that process is why we have the gun we have today......SP-10 is a perfect shotgun, I hope they get the Versa max to be as good!
TuJays
hunter

Postby G20M1 » Sun Jun 08, 2014 4:11 am

BurninPowder wrote:
hamernhonkers wrote:
Bug Doc wrote:

This

I'll concur with hamernhonkers and Bug Doc here. My VM has a little over two years under it's belt with no cycling issues... NONE. The misinformation thats being spread about the VM is unbelieveable. I guess in the eyes of the uninformed gunner, the VM could be confused with the 1187. But in fact they are two completely different designs. And to the naysayers that claim the VM is a "copy" of the SBE2... More misconception and misinformation. One substaintial difference... SBE2=inertia VM=gas Some parts may be similar ie: bolt, trigger, etc. they are not interchangeable.(it's been tried) In fact the operating system of the VM is more akin to the Benelli M4. So before you embarrass yourself on any other forum, do a little research and be informed on the topic at hand before you speak. :thumbsup:

In regard to recalls he was probably referring to Remington recalling all of the model 700s. Apparently some would fire with out the trigger being depressed. :eek:
The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.
-Ayn Rand
G20M1
hunter

Postby cootlover » Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:16 am

So no B.S how much recoil does the Vmax have most 12 ga make my legs go numb after one box of trap loads I have shot a X2 not to bad of recoil how does it compare to that :huh:
cootlover
hunter

Postby hamernhonkers » Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:18 am

cootlover wrote:So no B.S how much recoil does the Vmax have most 12 ga make my legs go numb after one box of trap loads I have shot a X2 not to bad of recoil how does it compare to that :huh:

I can't compare to the x2 but to the x3 it is softer shooting. Now if that is a matter of fit or the extra lb of weight on the versamax, IDK. I can say compared to a any other 12 bore I have shot, the VM is without question the softest shooting gun I have ever fired for a 12 bore :thumbsup:
Hello

David wrote:
I have suspended the suspension on the suspended, allowing the suspended to post in a non-suspending manner.
hamernhonkers
hunter

Postby lovethosesooners » Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:41 pm

Shooting trap loads, recoil is basically NON-EXISTANT!
100 rounds with not even a mark on shoulder to show for it
Just a terrific shotgun
lovethosesooners
hunter

Next

Return to Shotgun Forum