New Goose Shooter

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

New Goose Shooter

Postby riverducker » Wed May 28, 2014 6:20 pm

Just picked up a Browning Gold 10. Haven't been able to shoot it yet, but getting stoked! I would have posted a pic, but couldn't get it to load. Synthetic and steel, 2004ish vintage with a 28" barrel and all kinds of choke tubes. I jump shoot geese and ducks on the rivers, creeks, and swamps from a kayak and am excited about shooting an auto loader for the first time. I had a 10 gauge marlin 5510 last year that I bought on a lark, and it really showed me the superiority of the big 10. A bolt action on a duck hunt, however, may as well be a single shot for getting a follow up shot. I shot a Mossy 835 12 gauge for years and did OK with it, but it doesn't have quite as much smack-down as the 10. As for shooting a 10 out of a kayak, well... I am going to do some warm weather practicing in the stock pond before heading out in cold weather for sure. Anybody got any ideas for 10 gauge practice loads? I am looking for a 10 gauge reloading press but will probably settle for a roll crimping tool and get by with my other reloading tools to build some loads. Any body else shooting a 10 gauge from a mobile waterfowl assault craft?
riverducker
hunter

Re: New Goose Shooter

Postby Yuchi1 » Wed May 28, 2014 6:35 pm

Congrats on the new addition to the "family".

I loaded 10 gauge (lead loads) on a MEC VersaMec with the 10 gauge die/shim kit and they turned out extremely well.

Look around and you should be able to pick up a used press/dies at a reasonable cost.
Sent from my Sumerian tablets

Does the number of bands claimed simply mean you have an Ebay account?

FSH Pro Staffer

High Potentate, NSSB (no spinning shotcup brotherhood)
Yuchi1
hunter

Postby garlicsalt » Wed May 28, 2014 9:58 pm

hey RD, did you ever manage a double with that bolt action? that would be so sic. congrats on your newbie. omgosh i can't wait till duck season i am freekn out.
garlicsalt
hunter

Postby riverducker » Thu May 29, 2014 3:41 pm

The closest I ever came to a double with the bolt action was a water swat on a ringneck drake at about 55 yards. Rolled him over, DOI (dead on impact) and the hen he was with got up and flew towards me. I had another round in the tube, but let the hen pass. I agree that would have been epic. Most of the shots I had on the creeks and in the swamp just required too much activity to even get a bead on a second bird before they were out of sight and/or range.
riverducker
hunter

Postby StevenL » Thu May 29, 2014 10:25 pm

riverducker wrote:Just picked up a Browning Gold 10. Haven't been able to shoot it yet, but getting stoked! I would have posted a pic, but couldn't get it to load. Synthetic and steel, 2004ish vintage with a 28" barrel and all kinds of choke tubes. I jump shoot geese and ducks on the rivers, creeks, and swamps from a kayak and am excited about shooting an auto loader for the first time. I had a 10 gauge marlin 5510 last year that I bought on a lark, and it really showed me the superiority of the big 10. A bolt action on a duck hunt, however, may as well be a single shot for getting a follow up shot. I shot a Mossy 835 12 gauge for years and did OK with it, but it doesn't have quite as much smack-down as the 10. As for shooting a 10 out of a kayak, well... I am going to do some warm weather practicing in the stock pond before heading out in cold weather for sure. Anybody got any ideas for 10 gauge practice loads? I am looking for a 10 gauge reloading press but will probably settle for a roll crimping tool and get by with my other reloading tools to build some loads. Any body else shooting a 10 gauge from a mobile waterfowl assault craft?

I'm very curious about your 5510. I own two of them and have 3 of the Model 55 Super Goose guns. Certainly they are in the 'novelty firearms' class but wow, all of them really do perform. What do you plan to do with the 5510?
StevenL
hunter

Return to Shotgun Forum