Do All?

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Re: Do All?

Postby kcwellington » Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:58 am

REMINGTON 870 OR MOSSBERG 500. I have both and they are very good, reliable home defense guns.
kcwellington
hunter

Postby BurninPowder » Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:10 am

Nelliboy2 wrote:Similarly, I am not going to turn the lights on or hold a flashlight for that same reason. I know my house better than he does. I can move about silently....he in the other hand is either going to be holding a light and a weapon...or will be running in to stuff making him an easy target

My man! :thumbsup:
BurninPowder
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:04 pm

With it only taking a few seconds to call the PD with your address and your problem , it could save you from losing
everything you have ( including your life or your love ones ). Take time to make good judgements if you hear something
or someone in your house . Like someone has said , you know your house and whatever doesn't , so be defensive not
offensive in what you do and wait for the trained officers to deal with a Scumbag , as his mind is only thinking of what value
he can steal .

But Remember , it's better to be tried by 12 , than be carried by 6 !
3200 man
hunter

Postby Force Fetch » Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:02 pm

3200 gives some sage advice, but I still vote for an 870, any old well maintained 870.
Force Fetch
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:50 pm

Yuchi1 wrote:
Rick Hall wrote:
thomashamm2 wrote:
Yuchi1 wrote:Which would inspire more fear into the hearts/minds of the bad guys, the sound of a round being racked into battery of a pumpgun....or, the Benelli "click" ? :wink:

The question here is why is your pumpgun not already loaded ready to go? :huh:

Too much television.

Or, to keep the trigger spring assembly from taking a set.

I must have missed something. How's it not going to be cocked, anyway, with that live round you want to shuck out of the chamber?

Not that I've ever heard of a modern firearm's hammer spring taking a set.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby BurninPowder » Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:31 am

Rick Hall wrote:
Yuchi1 wrote:
Rick Hall wrote:
thomashamm2 wrote:
Yuchi1 wrote:Which would inspire more fear into the hearts/minds of the bad guys, the sound of a round being racked into battery of a pumpgun....or, the Benelli "click" ? :wink:

Too much television.

I must have missed something. How's it not going to be cocked, anyway, with that live round you want to shuck out of the chamber?

"Rack Ready"? :huh: Other than that... I got nothing.
BurninPowder
hunter

Postby Yuchi1 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:35 pm

It's SOP for many LEA's to have their personnel routinely unload clips, etc. (replaced with loaded ones, of course) to avoid the possibility of spring set. Some "modern firearms" are susceptible to spring set.

Keeping the hammer down by virtue of having a snap cap in the battery relieves tension on the spring and makes it easier to shuck a round into battery as you don't hafta reach for the release button beside the trigger. Plus, the sound of bringing that round to battery may well provide the incentive for many perps to vacate the premises and if they don't, they were there to kill you anyway and unless you don't sleep in the BR, is where they're headed.
Sent from my Sumerian tablets

Does the number of bands claimed simply mean you have an Ebay account?

FSH Pro Staffer

High Potentate, NSSB (no spinning shotcup brotherhood)
Yuchi1
hunter

Postby BurninPowder » Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:33 am

Exactly my point Yuchi, I too agree. Modern firearms are not nearly as susceptible to spring set as their predecessors. I was simply replying to Rick Hall's question: "why would it not already be cocked with that live round you want to shuck out of the chamber". The only explanation I could fathom of having a gun "ready" and not have a live round in battery, is the "rack ready" scenario. I, being in the LE profession, can speak from experience. As you stated "Rack ready" is SOP for storage of a pump shotgun for most LEAs. I, however, often times do not adopt the policies of my profession for my personal defense. :thumbsup:
BurninPowder
hunter

Postby Swamp Gas » Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:51 am

870 gets my vote as well. Bird barrel and an 18-20" for self defense.

Never used "rack ready" term, always referred to it as squad ready. I like it. It makes more sense as a universal term. Tent ready, closet ready, bedside ready etc.

Drop hammer on an empty chamber. Tape slide to barrel with a thin strip of masking tape to make sure slide doesn't come back. Load magazine.

My only concern is having magazine loaded for an extended period. Over time the spring will build up memory and lose strength.
Swamp Gas
hunter

Postby threedogs » Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:13 pm

Remington 870 Wingmaster
Thread Killer
threedogs
hunter

Postby riverducker » Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:45 pm

Mossberg 835 with 28" barrel, screw in chokes, and a rifled slug barrel w/ cantilever scope mount and Leopold 2-7X. Its been working for me for close to 20 years. Mud, cold, hard use on everything from ducks to deer and small game and it keeps on shuckin'. It's not pretty, but the factory camo paint job and the synthetic stock have held up well. I expect to get another 20 out of it. Just a plain jane work horse.
riverducker
hunter

Postby captainduckhead » Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:38 pm

It's hard to argue against the reliability of an 870. They work in all conditions.. I prefer the easy swing of my BPS, but if I had to pick one "do it all" gun, I just might jump over to the other side and go with my 870.
Mojo Mallards are gay
captainduckhead
hunter

Postby DuckManClyde » Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:59 am

Life/death situation? My stoeger m3000, but only bc my beretta won't accept a Nordic components mag extension. 11 shells would be sweeeet
If offended, and or irritated with the above post, please refer to my caring face :hi:
DuckManClyde
hunter

Postby z51 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:09 am

Rick Hall wrote:
Yuchi1 wrote:
Rick Hall wrote:
thomashamm2 wrote:

Too much television.

You load the mag of a pumpgun with the hammer already down (uncocked). Not real difficult. Inertia gun for self defense, no thanks. I keep a 1911 and my 870 in the bedroom. The 1911 in condition 2.
z51
hunter

Previous

Return to Shotgun Forum