Benelli Magazine spring

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Benelli Magazine spring

Postby cyclonefan » Sat May 31, 2014 9:07 pm

I would like to know if there is a way to weaken the spring in the magazine tube on a Benelli Montefeltro 20 gauge. I bought guns for my wife and son and they both have trouble loading them. The springs seem excessively stiff to me. Will they loosen up over time or is that just the way they are? Thanks
cyclonefan
hunter

Re: Benelli Magazine spring

Postby clampdaddy » Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:30 am

My sbe2 was the same way. 2 3/4" shells were bad enough but trying to cram two 3 1/2" shells in the tube was a mother bear. I had an issue with the gun and sent it in for warranty work. Benelli did a few mods to it and one of them included shortening the mag spring to eliminate "shell bounce". Feels much better now.
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby cyclonefan » Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:36 am

We haven't tried 3" shells yet, I doubt they will load as hard as the 2 3/4 load. Do you know how much they shortened the spring? I hate to have to send the guns in already for work.
cyclonefan
hunter

Postby Tgunz64 » Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:56 am

My SV is a little tight and my M2 20ga is really tight. Called benelli on it and they said they make the springs 6" longer than what it really needs. Don't know why they do that. But he said I could cut 4" off and it would still work. Another person on the forums said put the spring in boiling water for a few minutes and it takes off the coating. Can't remember what he called it. And oil it and re install. Could try that. I haven't yet.
Tgunz64
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:14 am

cyclonefan wrote:We haven't tried 3" shells yet, I doubt they will load as hard as the 2 3/4 load. Do you know how much they shortened the spring? I hate to have to send the guns in already for work.

Unfortunately, I don't. Something to think about though is that you will be out way more money in shipping costs to send your guns back than the price of two new springs. I'd start clipping coils out of the factory spring until the tension feels right to you. If you go to far and something doesn't function properly, buy a new spring. Just remember that if you do end up ever having to send one of them in for warranty work you'll need to put an original spring back in the gun. That or contact benelli via email and explain the situation. I'm betting that they will give you the go ahead to trim the spring down. Once you've got that answer back, do it and save their reply just in case they ever try to void your warranty due to an unauthorized part modification.
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby Tgunz64 » Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:43 am

That's a good idea too. Just buy another spring and install it. If something comes up later and you send it in then you can swap out the spring. Can't be too much money for a good aftermarket spring.
Tgunz64
hunter

Postby Nelliboy2 » Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:16 pm

cyclonefan wrote:We haven't tried 3" shells yet, I doubt they will load as hard as the 2 3/4 load. Do you know how much they shortened the spring? I hate to have to send the guns in already for work.

On all the extended mags I bought they give me a lot to work with. I started to cut 1/2 a coil off at a time until I was happy with it. You can always cut more but you can't replace it without starting over.

My sbe2 was a little tight when I firsts got it. After a case it was a non issues. Hope this helps

Feet down, guns up, that's the way I light'em up!
If money talks; then I got a lot to say i'm on the grind trying to make a hundred thousand dollars a day! We play with big cash and we blowin money fast. I need a G for every light bulb on the Vegas strip!!!
Nelliboy2
hunter

Return to Shotgun Forum