Camo Tape for Gun. Any prep ideas?

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Camo Tape for Gun. Any prep ideas?

Postby jagerduck » Mon Apr 04, 2005 10:44 am

Hey guys, turkey season is getting close to opening here and I was wandering if I could get some help. I bought some camo tape for my matted finish mossberg 835. The tape is basically athletic tape that is camo. I was wandering if anyone has used this before and if what they did to prep their gun before applying this tape. I just don't want my duck destroyer to get rusty and have adhesive all over it. Any helpful hints or tips will be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot.
If it flies it dies and if it hops it drops!
jagerduck
hunter

Postby tengoose1 » Mon Apr 04, 2005 11:38 am

I beleive the tape I use is made my Hunter Specialties, it is more like a paper type tape. I know there is some tape that has a cloth like texture and you should not use it because from my experience leaves bad residue on the gun.(sticky stough that is) I am not sure the name of it but it sucks when it is time to take it off. I just put it on the gun and if it is exposed to any water I just take it off and replace it.
tengoose1
hunter

Postby macdaddy » Mon Apr 04, 2005 11:59 am

Hey, jagerduck: I had a vinyl camo tape that I got about 12 yrs ago - never had a bit of luck w/ it. It wouldn't stick (still doesn't). Didn't try it on my gun; though I don't imagine that it would have stuck there, either. IMO I'd never trust my finish to tape - don't know if that's an issue w/ you. You could try Snake skins. It's a cloth camo that stretches over the barrel & receiver. You could cut a separate piece for the fore end. You can take it off if you want when (if) you use the gun for skeet or clays. I like the idea of being able to take it off. Just a suggestion.
I'm the guy your Mother Goose warned you about.
macdaddy
hunter

my 2 cents

Postby Ducks » Mon Apr 04, 2005 5:12 pm

Yeah I have tryed them all even the shrink wrap ya apply with a hair dryer,, it all sucks hind tit!
My sugestion is get a temp blind they are cheep and stay behind it cause movement is what the turkeys notice,,,,, they never notice the triger pull movement :smile: Good luck but I think your going to kick yourself in the kester when you want to take the tape off and I don`t think you will be pleased. "thats just my opnion"
Arkansas is the Natural state!
Pick up your shells!
Ducks
Banned

Postby weedsnager » Mon Apr 04, 2005 5:57 pm

get camo clad for your gun.
weedsnager
hunter

Postby huntmq1 » Mon Apr 04, 2005 11:44 pm

Whatever you use be careful! I used tape on my Mossy 835 5 years ago for Turkey season also. Yea, then it rained. Pulled the tape off a few days, a week?, later and the barrel was rusted beyond my fixing capabilities. I took the gun apart, stripped all pieces, cleaned, primed and put a nice camo job on it with my airbrush. Came out pretty good. Just watch out if the tape gets wet.
:salude:
Hey, did you grab the blind bag with the shells when we left the truck?
Safetys, use them: If you can see red, you can get dead!
huntmq1
hunter

Return to Shotgun Forum