Camo Tape for Gun. Any prep ideas?

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderator: Quack Wacker NC

Camo Tape for Gun. Any prep ideas?

Postby jagerduck » Mon Apr 04, 2005 10:44 am

Hey guys, turkey season is getting close to opening here and I was wandering if I could get some help. I bought some camo tape for my matted finish mossberg 835. The tape is basically athletic tape that is camo. I was wandering if anyone has used this before and if what they did to prep their gun before applying this tape. I just don't want my duck destroyer to get rusty and have adhesive all over it. Any helpful hints or tips will be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot.
If it flies it dies and if it hops it drops!

Postby tengoose1 » Mon Apr 04, 2005 11:38 am

I beleive the tape I use is made my Hunter Specialties, it is more like a paper type tape. I know there is some tape that has a cloth like texture and you should not use it because from my experience leaves bad residue on the gun.(sticky stough that is) I am not sure the name of it but it sucks when it is time to take it off. I just put it on the gun and if it is exposed to any water I just take it off and replace it.

Postby macdaddy » Mon Apr 04, 2005 11:59 am

Hey, jagerduck: I had a vinyl camo tape that I got about 12 yrs ago - never had a bit of luck w/ it. It wouldn't stick (still doesn't). Didn't try it on my gun; though I don't imagine that it would have stuck there, either. IMO I'd never trust my finish to tape - don't know if that's an issue w/ you. You could try Snake skins. It's a cloth camo that stretches over the barrel & receiver. You could cut a separate piece for the fore end. You can take it off if you want when (if) you use the gun for skeet or clays. I like the idea of being able to take it off. Just a suggestion.
I'm the guy your Mother Goose warned you about.

my 2 cents

Postby Ducks » Mon Apr 04, 2005 5:12 pm

Yeah I have tryed them all even the shrink wrap ya apply with a hair dryer,, it all sucks hind tit!
My sugestion is get a temp blind they are cheep and stay behind it cause movement is what the turkeys notice,,,,, they never notice the triger pull movement :smile: Good luck but I think your going to kick yourself in the kester when you want to take the tape off and I don`t think you will be pleased. "thats just my opnion"
Arkansas is the Natural state!
Pick up your shells!

Postby weedsnager » Mon Apr 04, 2005 5:57 pm

get camo clad for your gun.

Postby huntmq1 » Mon Apr 04, 2005 11:44 pm

Whatever you use be careful! I used tape on my Mossy 835 5 years ago for Turkey season also. Yea, then it rained. Pulled the tape off a few days, a week?, later and the barrel was rusted beyond my fixing capabilities. I took the gun apart, stripped all pieces, cleaned, primed and put a nice camo job on it with my airbrush. Came out pretty good. Just watch out if the tape gets wet.
Hey, did you grab the blind bag with the shells when we left the truck?
Safetys, use them: If you can see red, you can get dead!

Return to Shotgun Forum