Spare parts project gun

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Spare parts project gun

Postby Bug Doc » Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:09 am

I lucked out into a nice Remington 1187 light contour barrel last year (bought a used 1100 cheap and the guy just threw in the barrel as part of the bargain!). I had most of the parts I needed lying around, so I decided to build my own 1187. Only thing I lacked was a receiver. Found a beat-up receiver online and I was set. After a little tinkering I got the frankensteinian contraption working perfectly, but it was pretty ugly with the worn & rusty receiver next to the nicely blued barrel and synthetic stock. Luckily one of my neighbors owns Red Creek Tactical, and gave me a great deal on a full cerakote treatment. Now the finish is better than factory new:

Weird thing is the cerakote seems to have decreased the friction on the rails so much the empty hulls are now pitched into the next county! I may have to remove the o-ring to slow the bolt speed down.

Total cost for the project is right around $300 for everything. Gotta love that!
Bug Doc
hunter

Re: Spare parts project gun

Postby Yuchi1 » Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:24 am

Nice work, sir!

The Cerakote on several of my 870/1100 internals (rails) also made 'em work slicker as well.
Sent from my Sumerian tablets

Does the number of bands claimed simply mean you have an Ebay account?

FSH Pro Staffer

High Potentate, NSSB (no spinning shotcup brotherhood)
Yuchi1
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:38 am

Neat. I hunted a guy who built an 1100 from parts last year, and it was plain having done so increased his pleasure in shooting it greatly.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby z51 » Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:30 am

Nice job. Whoever threw in the 11-87 barrel gave you a helluva head start. Those puppys ain't cheap.
I just finished a rehab of a rough 1972 1100. Makes yoou feel good about saving a good old gun. Wound up with $290 in mine but no Cerakote. What stock did you use?
z51
hunter

Postby BurninPowder » Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:19 pm

Nice work BugDoc!
Last edited by BurninPowder on Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BurninPowder
hunter

Postby Bug Doc » Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:53 pm

z51 wrote:Nice job. Whoever threw in the 11-87 barrel gave you a helluva head start. Those puppys ain't cheap.
I just finished a rehab of a rough 1972 1100. Makes yoou feel good about saving a good old gun. Wound up with $290 in mine but no Cerakote. What stock did you use?

Yeah, I almost felt guilty taking the barrel (almost). The stock is an old Remington retail set I've been using on my various 1100's. Glad I saved the little metal thingy on the inside.
Bug Doc
hunter

Postby z51 » Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:58 pm

I think that's just a gas shroud to protect the wood on a wood stocked 11-87. For some reason they make some stocks fit better and on other synthetic stocks they won't fit over it at all and you have to leave it out. Sounds like you might consider an extra power action spring to slow your bolt down a bit. Have fun!
z51
hunter

Postby Bug Doc » Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:20 am

z51 wrote:I think that's just a gas shroud to protect the wood on a wood stocked 11-87. For some reason they make some stocks fit better and on other synthetic stocks they won't fit over it at all and you have to leave it out. Sounds like you might consider an extra power action spring to slow your bolt down a bit. Have fun!

I'm not entirely sure of the function of the gas cylinder collar, either, but I suspect it may keep the spring clip of the compensation valve in place (although if that's the case, why doesn't the 20 ga or SuperMag have one? :huh: ). I figure Remington had a reason for including it with the replacement stock, so why not use it.

I hadn't thought of getting a stiffer action spring to slow down the bolt. I'll have to look into that. Thanks!
Bug Doc
hunter

Postby Theircommited10 » Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:08 pm

Very nice bugdoc ! I know that setup comes to the shoulder like a dream . Very nice
Theircommited10
DHC Sponsor

Return to Shotgun Forum