Remington 1187SP: butt stock made for a midget?

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Remington 1187SP: butt stock made for a midget?

Postby sernv99 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:55 pm

I have a Remington 1187 SP. It was bought new back in 1988. I have mainly used it as a deer gun, with a Hastings rifled barrel. I have the original 30" matte back barrel. The dang butt stock is like a toothpick (width wise) made for a midget (length wise). I am looking at replacing the stock with something like a Jack West stock:

http://jackweststocks.com/index_files/Product_List.htm

any downfall to getting this type of stock with an adjustable comb, especially when hunting in foul weather? I take a 15" LOP and the drop at comb normally on a field stock is too low for me.
sernv99
hunter

Re: Remington 1187SP: butt stock made for a midget?

Postby MNPheasant » Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:39 pm

Not sure if the stock comes with them but most after market stocks allow the LOP and Cast/Drop to be changed with the usage of shims. The lop as you most likely know will go between the butt of the stock and the butt pad. While the Cast and Drop shims will go where the pistol grip of the rear stock and the butt of the metal receiver meet. You should be able to do this by yourself by unscrewing the screws that hold on the recoil pad and then unscrewing the screw on the recoil spring and that should allow you to take off the rear stock. mess around with the provided shims until you find a good fit. If you are having a hard time find the fit or taking down the gun for that matter contact a gunsmith or gun fitter and go In there and thy should be able to get the gun to fit you extremely well.
Winchester SX3 3.5" 28" 12ga MOSGB
Benelli Montefeltro 26" 12ga
Remington 700 sps Varmint .223 Rem
Remington 597 .22lr
Marlin Model 80 .22lr
Izhmash Mosin Nagant 1942 7.62x54r
J Stevens .22lr Single Shot Pistol

SHOOT EM' UP!
MNPheasant
hunter

Postby z51 » Sat Jun 21, 2014 5:06 am

Another option is what I did to my 1988 11-87 SP Mag. Get a Remington brand Synthetic Stock, mine is MOBU, and buy their LOP spacer kit. The whole deal cost under $100 and the recoil pad is pretty good. It is also lighter than wood and everthing matches. Amazon had the stock and the spacer kit. It adds up to an inch in 1/4" increments. Your wood stock will sell on eBay in a heartbeat. BTW, I'm 6' 5".

Also Remington makes a synthetic Monte Carlo stock, you could buy the spacer kit for it. The MC stock is actually for use on their deer gun.
z51
hunter

Postby sernv99 » Sun Jun 22, 2014 3:32 pm

z51 wrote:Another option is what I did to my 1988 11-87 SP Mag. Get a Remington brand Synthetic Stock, mine is MOBU, and buy their LOP spacer kit. The whole deal cost under $100 and the recoil pad is pretty good. It is also lighter than wood and everthing matches. Amazon had the stock and the spacer kit. It adds up to an inch in 1/4" increments. Your wood stock will sell on eBay in a heartbeat. BTW, I'm 6' 5".

Also Remington makes a synthetic Monte Carlo stock, you could buy the spacer kit for it. The MC stock is actually for use on their deer gun.

I bought the black monte carlo synthetic stock set and the LOP spacer kit....cost me just under $100, from Amazon. I'll see how this goes and will see how the monte carlo stock lines up with the flat rib on the 30" barrel. I know the monte carlo will help with the deer barrel but not sure about the flat rib bird barrel. As of right now, when mounting the gun, I'm seeing the back of the receiver, with either the deer barrel or the bird barrel.
sernv99
hunter

Return to Shotgun Forum