Which gun do you recommend ?

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Which gun do you recommend ?

Postby Rookie » Thu Apr 07, 2005 8:00 pm

I am new in the hunting world and will mainly be hunting ducks and geese near rivers and ponds. My brother suggested to buy a gun that has the capability of 3 1/2" shells if I choose to use them and a 28" barrel. Here are the 4 that I am thinking about from my local store.

1. Browning Breakup (8 lbs 5 oz)
2. Browning Shadowgrass (8 lbs 5oz)
3. Remington 870 Wingmaster Super Mag (7 1/2 lbs)
4. Remington 870 SPS Super Mag Camo (7 1/4 lbs)

Any input on these guns is greatly appreciated !

P.S. I am hunting in southern Ontario where it could be pretty chilly, wet and muddy if this affects any of the above guns.
Rookie
hunter

Postby Quackers » Fri Apr 08, 2005 10:10 am

which model browning?
Quackers
hunter

Postby Ducksbeus » Fri Apr 08, 2005 10:53 am

ALOT of good waterfowl guns out there...Best advice I got is to shoulder a few...Wait for a sale...then get the "best" (most expensive) one that you can afford. Im married with children, I had to look for something cheap to exclusivly hunt waterfowl with, and, that wouldnt break my heart if I dropped it in the lake. My Nova has more than met its expectations. Being new to the sport, I would recommend that you stay on the "low end" of guns. After a few years of rolling in the mud, and hunting in the cold rain, you may want to " upgrade". Alot of fellas stop chasing them dux after a few years due to price on your wallet and body. Y'all have a nice day! :cool:
"You get what you put in, and people get what they deserve" Hank Jr. and Kid Rock
Ducksbeus
hunter

Postby Rookie » Fri Apr 08, 2005 5:47 pm

The on-line listing for the Browning is the BPS model. It has bottom ejection of the cartridges. Is this a good feature to look for ? I understand to start with a little lower gun until I am in the sport for a few years, but I wouldn't want to have bad luck with a cheaper gun and am willing to spend in the $800-$1000 range. The guns I listed sell for about $800 new.
Rookie
hunter

Postby Ducksbeus » Fri Apr 08, 2005 6:33 pm

BPS is a fine gun...I owned one in 10 gauge. That dang 10 was lug...I never seen a Browning I didnt like :thumbsup:
"You get what you put in, and people get what they deserve" Hank Jr. and Kid Rock
Ducksbeus
hunter

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Sat Apr 09, 2005 2:01 am

Yeah, if you can afford it, TAKE THE BROWNING!!!! :thumbsup:

If you knew me, it would not be new news for you to hear me ramble on about how sucky the Remington (for that matter, all except Browning and Mossburg) safeties are.

They are a pain to use while hunting, they are unnatural.

They have the trigger guard safety

While Browning and Mossburg have the "Good" Thumb safety

Hope this helps,
-Stouff
[b][size=14]REAL Trucks don't got Spark Plugs

"Hold the Shotguns.... Its hard to stear like this!"
AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Postby Rookie » Sat Apr 09, 2005 3:48 am

Thanks guys. I am leaning towards the Browning BPS Shadowgrass and your comments seem to back up that choice. There is one more gun my brother told me about, but it is not availble at my local shop. I believe it was the Mossberg 535 or 835. How does this compare to the Browning ?
Rookie
hunter

Postby Greg Wile » Sat Apr 09, 2005 8:04 pm

Bottom eject Browning thats the ticket. I use an Ithaca model 87 bottom ejection and love it. No one gets hit with spent shells.
Build memories, take a kid out doors and teach them about nature by interacting with it, hunting and fishing.

Learn from the past, don't dwell on it.
Greg Wile
hunter

Postby Felsenthal » Sun Apr 10, 2005 1:25 pm

I believe the Remington 870 is one of the best handling and balanced all steel shotguns of all times. The BPS in my opinion is like hunting with a 2x 4. I own a BPS and hate them. They are poorly, poorly balanced.

The Ithaca is another story. The model 37 is superb and frankly, the BPS is an insult to the handling and shootability of the Model 37.

I will be the odd man out here and say go with an 870. I love em.
" Never show up as a guest on a hunt with your dog. Never take the best shooting spot. Leave the call in your pocket. Never ask to come back. Keep your mouth shut after the hunt. Always bring gifts. "
Felsenthal
hunter

Postby Felsenthal » Sun Apr 10, 2005 1:27 pm

I would pick a Benelli Nova over a BPS if the 870 is out for you. The Nova handles much better than a BPS despite its blocky appearance.
" Never show up as a guest on a hunt with your dog. Never take the best shooting spot. Leave the call in your pocket. Never ask to come back. Keep your mouth shut after the hunt. Always bring gifts. "
Felsenthal
hunter

Postby Dogman » Sun Apr 10, 2005 4:36 pm

I've had my BPS since '92 and it has weathered very well.Bottom ejection is very nice and convienent,easy to clean up spent shells and anyone hunting with you doesn't get shells in thier face.
I like it for geese and larger ducks(its a ten gauge) and I like how it feels,comes up nice and shoots well.
I highly recommend the Browning.
My lab is still the best hunting partner there is.
Dogman
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Greg Wile » Sun Apr 10, 2005 7:51 pm

I had 2 Mossbergs and will never own an other one they were not very reliable. I have used an 870 and found it uncomfortable so I went back to the best working and feeling pump gun I have ever owned or used and that is the Ithaca. It has never failed me and is easy to take down for field cleaning, comes with the raybar front bead, all steel construction, ribbed barrel, bottom ejection, recoil pad, and is made in America. Not imported and sold in America.
Build memories, take a kid out doors and teach them about nature by interacting with it, hunting and fishing.

Learn from the past, don't dwell on it.
Greg Wile
hunter

Postby ks_waterfowler » Sun Apr 10, 2005 10:06 pm

I have a wingmaster and it is the gun I recommend. It is probably the best pump gun out there, but you pay for it. THe other downside is my wingmaster was a really pretty upland gun until it went duck hunting in the rain. Also have a BPS. Nice gun. Love the bottom eject and it is built like a tank. Not a fan of 835s and Nova.

You gotta shoulder a gun and find one that fits you. We can give you all the pros and cons, but if the gun fits you poorly it is all wasted. Been there, and done that. It sucks.
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby Felsenthal » Sat Apr 16, 2005 9:24 pm

BPS: read my post
Felsenthal
hunter

Postby had » Sun Apr 17, 2005 12:33 am

Felsenthal wrote:
I would pick a Benelli Nova over a BPS if the 870 is out for you. The Nova handles much better than a BPS despite its blocky appearance

I believe the Remington 870 is one of the best handling and balanced all steel shotguns of all times. The BPS in my opinion is like hunting with a 2x 4. I own a BPS and hate them. They are poorly, poorly balanced.

i guess you have changed your mind? which is ok just a bit of a drastic change. i mean you wrote " i own a bps and hate them".
This site is about having some fun, learning, helping others, and enjoying the commaradre' of other waterfowl hunters. And if you do not like those 4 things, then do not let the door hit you on the way out of here.
had
hunter

Postby Rookie » Sun Apr 17, 2005 5:22 am

I went to my local store yesterday and picked up the Browning BPS Shadowgrass and the Remington 870 Wingmaster. Both guns felt nice, but I liked the feel of the Browning a bit more. While I was there I also picked up the 11-87 SPS Super Mag from Remington and it felt quite nice as well. The sales guy told me that the 11-87 and 870 have the same internal workings, but the 11-87 is cheaper.
I think I am still leaning towards the Browning BPS right now, but am still open for opinions.

:mrgreen:
Rookie
hunter

Postby Felsenthal » Sun Apr 17, 2005 7:03 am

THe 1187 and the 870 so not have the same internals. The 870 as you know is a pump and the 1187 is a semi auto. They do have the same length of pull and the contour of the receiver on both is identical or very similar with all due deference to the gun salesman.
Felsenthal
hunter

Postby puddlerjumper » Sun Apr 17, 2005 9:12 am

Go with the remington 870 sps supermagnum. You cannot go wrong with the wingmaster either, I would just be afraid to beat it up. I love my 870, yes, I will admit that it has had some rusting problems in isolated areas that do not recieve attention from me when I clean it. That is my fault, by no means is the 870 Express line pretty, but you can throw ANYTHING at it and it will keep on firing. The bps is a nice gun, there is nothing wrong with it excpet for the weight unless you add a sling. Pretty much all it comes down to is how much you are willing to spend, and which one really does something for you when you look at it. I would buy my 870 all over again. You talk about a slick gun. Theres no telling how many shots I've fired in the 3 years I've owned it, I love my gun and I wouldn't trade it for anything.
puddlerjumper
hunter

Postby puddlerjumper » Sun Apr 17, 2005 9:40 am

I forgot to add how easy disassembly is with the 870. Heck, any remington at that matter. I have hard more people taking their bps' back to the gunsmith just to reassemble them than any other gun. From what I hear, there are a bunch of internal parts that are small and easy to lose. That is what I like about my 870, I can unscrew the mag cap, press the internal shell release, and I have the slide out. Then I can knock the two pins out that are exposed so you can do it with a .22 caliber cleaning rod if you had to, and you have the trigger assembly out. You cannot find a more simple gun.
puddlerjumper
hunter

Postby Rookie » Sun Apr 17, 2005 10:34 am

I stand corrected Felsenthal. The 11-87 is a auto loader. Being new at this, I got the models mixed up. It was two different versions of the 870 that had the same internals but about $200 difference in price. I know that one of the guns I picked up had the 11-87 name on the tag, so now I am confused whether it was the Remington model that felt good or if it was the 870 ! Looks like another trip to check them out. No problem though, I have plenty of time to choose and I learn more each time I go !

:oops:
Rookie
hunter

Postby Rookie » Sun Apr 24, 2005 5:39 pm

From talking with a few people in the last week or so, I have been told that the Browning BPS and Remington 870 have a stronger kick than the 11-87. What are your thoughts ? My brother has an 11-87 and has had no problems with it.
Rookie
hunter

Postby Robberwood » Mon Apr 25, 2005 1:47 pm

alright, who said it?! A nova over a BPS or 870? HAHAHAHAHHA :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: I needed a good laugh today. A browning BPS is one of the best if not THE BEST pump shotgun you could buy. Very nicely made and can take a beating. Cant beat it as far as dependability goes. And the 870 is another great work-horse. Both guns would outlast and beat the crap out of a nova. A nova is a piece alright. It wobbles all around and is very lengthy in every way. You couldnt give me one to take on a hunt with me. Would rather have my break and half single shot then shoot a nova. IMO of course but im sure more then the majority agrees with me and if not, ill go jump off a cliff or something.
:thumbsdown: -GO with the BPS in shadow grass. Ive got a BPS 10 gauge and a 870 super express magnum. I know what they both are capable of and ive taken them both to the extremes and have both kept on kicken! :thumbsup:
"Dont land over there!"
So what time are they suppose to show up?
Robberwood
hunter

Postby hm_palmer » Fri Jun 10, 2005 2:00 pm

I have an 870 and it has always worked for me, plus if your on a budget its fairly priced.
hm_palmer
hunter

Postby frazier2209 » Fri Jun 10, 2005 2:10 pm

frazier2209
hunter

Postby the_duckinator » Fri Jun 10, 2005 3:02 pm

Rookie-in general pumps will kick harder than auto loaders. The 11-87 takes some gas from the barrel, diverts it, and uses it to push the bolt back to eject the spent shell and load a new one. The action of the bolt absorbs some of the kick that would otherwise be pushing the rest of the gun, and you, back. My 12ga. semi auto kicks about as much as my double barrel 20 ga. Also, the heavier the gun is the less it will kick. I'd go with the BPS or the 11-87, i've shot both the 870 and the BPS and like the browning much more. It fit better, felt better, and I like the bottom eject. Recoil wasn't an issue with either and I was shooting 3" magnum loads. I kinda like semi autos though so the 11-87 sounds better, but you'll be happy with either.
49% of us didn't vote for him.

Sorry World (we tried)--half of America

3 nations under Bush's God.
the_duckinator
hunter

Next

Return to Shotgun Forum